Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how'd it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Be very careful assuming you'll get in to teaching through the Grad route, that can be pulled at any time. Also, the Irish exams when you come back from England are tough if you don't get in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Jesus, 540 is an amazing result. Even if someone didn't get into their 1st choice with 540, they should still be proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

oh right, thanks. just thought there was something else important you had to do in school after getting results. Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

English (H) A2
    Irish (H) C1
    Business (H) B2
    DCG (H) A2
    Chemistry (H) C3
    French (O) B1
    Maths (H) C2 (I almost cried when I saw this. I've spent the last 2 months preparing to repeat after what I considered a disastrous exam. Can't believe I got a C :D)

480 points overall, which is about 100 more than I had expected and gives me a good chance of getting my first choice. Absolutely ecstatic and mightily relieved :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Be very careful assuming you'll get in to teaching through the Grad route, that can be pulled at any time. Also, the Irish exams when you come back from England are tough if you don't get in here.

Absolutely this. One of the people I mentioned in my post who went to England did Irish as part of her Arts degree, and has said she found the exams tough, so for someone who perhaps hasn't really looked at Irish since their Leaving Cert (if they chose other subjects for their Arts degree) I would imagine it would be even harder. Graduate primary teaching is a very very tough route in many respects.

• Advertisement

I also know of 8 fully qualified Irish teachers, half of whom are Gaelgóirí...none have work for this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

I remember coming out of business last june thinking i had secured a B grade.

I got a D2

Same kind of thing happend with Chemistry

Had my heart set on science in UCD and now its all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

David1994 wrote: »
    Absolutely devastated..I might post the results later because at the moment I cannot even look at the sheet :/
    Well done to all ye lads who got what ye wanted!

Hi David - I've been there my friend. Take the rest of the day to "grieve", then tomorrow think about ur options. It's soul destroying seeing everyone here showing off their 500 and 600 points - good for them but it really hurts when you're disappointed. I repeated my LC - best thing I ever did. Hope you're ok - you will be fine. You're entitled to be angry today. I still say congratulations to you though, regardless of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aomame

I AM ABSOLUTELY OVER THE MOON!

I was so scared lifting that page out of the envelope but it all worked out better than I ever expected

English: A1
    Irish: A1
    Biology: A1
    German: A2
    Geography: A2
    Classical Studies: A2

( and a B1 in OL maths )

All higher - That's 570! So unbelievably happy and relieved with English, I thought Pleaney broke me....
    Irish, what can I say, it's the last subject I ever would have considered for an A, never mind an A1. Never have gotten them and never thought I would. Was just hoping to manage a B3 like the mocks. Even though I'm delighted, I might review classics. It's the one exam I really felt like I could have managed the A1 in and I loved the paper.

Anyway, if the points don't jump by 45 I'll be seeing y'all in Trinity! Congratulations! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Eathrin wrote: »
    Wow just checking that now and only 1% of higher level art students got an A1.
    A further 4% got an A2.

You really must be very good Anna.

Oh gosh you guys are making me blush :P I am pretty proud, i think one or two more girls in my class got A2's as well, which as far as i know is a first in my school, there hasnt been any A's there in a few years anyway :rolleyes: But thanks :D We all can be proud today! Have a good night guys! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

paddykell wrote: »
    Looking through here has made me think I've done terribly!

Still congratulations to you all, well deserved results!

Mine were:

English: A1 (H)
    Irish : B2 (O)
    Maths: C2 (O)
    History: A2 (H)
    Geography: C3 (H)
    French: D2 (H)
    Art: B2 (H)

And in total, that's 420 points, more than enough for English and History in UCD! I'm quite disappointed with History, I really wanted the A1, but still I'll probably get it rechecked, just to be sure.

You've done really well!!! whether you like it or not, I'm saying Congratulations to you!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

So happy for my daughter, she had expected somewhere in the mid 400s and ended up getting 505 : ) she got an A1 in history and A2 in both English and Geography.. I find this pretty impressive. I took maths/physics/applied maths for my leaving cert and the thought of anyone getting an A1 in history bowls me over.. Well done to everyone and to those who are not where they want to be today, check over ALL your options, discount nothing. Don't automatically assume you have to repeat the leaving cert, but weigh up everything. Best of luck for the offers on Monday.. (little/no sleep Sunday night.. )

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ajireland95

Did anyone here manage an A1 in Economics? Really thought i'd get it today but got an A2.

i got a c2 :O i don't even know what happened... Definately need to see that paper again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This morning in the car on the way to work my dad asked me what I reckon I got, I said 440/450 :o

I got Bs in English, Japanese and Geogrpahy and As in Ag science, chemistry, biology and physics.

550 :eek:

First thing I did when I got home this evening was **** my envelope containing my institute application forms straight in the bin.

I got an F in the physics mock, an F!!! Today I got an A1. I don't understand :P

Well done everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

teacher30 wrote: »
    Hi David - I've been there my friend. Take the rest of the day to "grieve", then tomorrow think about ur options. It's soul destroying seeing everyone here showing off their 500 and 600 points - good for them but it really hurts when you're disappointed. I repeated my LC - best thing I ever did. Hope you're ok - you will be fine. You're entitled to be angry today. I still say congratulations to you though, regardless of results.

Thank you! :) I have decided to repeat as I feel it is for the best. I have kinda come to terms with it but I will use "the shock" of it all to my advantage and come back fighting! Thanks again and I am glad repeating worked out for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

gutenberg wrote: »
    You're assuming that they will be accepted straight away onto the PDE after graduating, which is not always the case. So many people I know have been rejected because the demand is so high, and many have gone to England to qualify, which doesn't fully qualify you to teach in Ireland. So be careful. Lots also take a year after graduating to get some teaching experience to boost their application, which entails an extra year.

I know it's not guaranteed but repeating the LC is taking the same chance. S/he may not get the results to get into Primary Teaching either next year.

If you work hard in your degree you should be able to get the grades to get into the PDE. If not a further qualification should make it easier.

Even if you don't, you still have other options with an Arts degree. Those options don't exist with a Primary Teaching degree.

For graduates of Primary Teaching versus those who do the PDE, the PDE is better imo. Jobs are so thin on the ground at the moment that it's a very real possibility a graduate of Primary Teaching could end up not fulfilling their probation requirements before the five years are up. They'd then have to go back to college again.

I see Arts as being a better option either way.

What do you mean pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

I had my heart set on science in UCD. I wanted to do it more than anything. Unfortunely the course is around 455(from last year)
    I only got 410

i am absoluetly gutted.Is there any way i could still get in or is that it?

That's what I was always told as well. As the other poster said you are entitled to a place if you get the points via rechecks, but if the college hasn't got a place for you because the course is full then I think they can make you wait until the next year, and you get offered it in Round 0 as you qualified the previous year, kinda like deferred applications.

Hmm well I think that the college is supposed to keep places available until the rechecks are done. But even if the course were full you'd be guaranteed a place the following year, even if the points went up again.

By pulled I meant no longer run, have heard this at several meetings etc. There are too many primary teachers, these postgrads were used to up the number, we no longer need that done.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I know it's not guaranteed but repeating the LC is taking the same chance. S/he may not get the results to get into Primary Teaching either next year.

If you work hard in your degree you should be able to get the grades to get into the PDE. If not a further qualification should make it easier.

Even if you don't, you still have other options with an Arts degree. Those options don't exist with a Primary Teaching degree.

For graduates of Primary Teaching versus those who do the PDE, the PDE is better imo. Jobs are so thin on the ground at the moment that it's a very real possibility a graduate of Primary Teaching could end up not fulfilling their probation requirements before the five years are up. They'd then have to go back to college again.

I see Arts as being a better option either way.

Is there not also an interview for the PDE? Getting the required grade isn't by itself enough, so bear that in mind. Most of the people I knew or heard of who got places had got some kind of experience in schools, either through subbing or shadowing or something like that, which requires organisation and no small degree of luck while also doing an Arts degree.

Bear in mind also that you have to pay fees for the PDE, while those who get Primary Teaching through the CAO as their primary degree have their fees covered through the Free Fees scheme.The fees for 2011/2012 were in the region of 6,000 euro (for St Pat's). While a small number might have this covered by a grant, the vast majority will not.

I do completely see your point about having an Arts degree as it is broader and (arguably) more transferable than a teaching degree. But I don't think you should be telling people never to repeat their LC and just do Arts + Grad Teaching 'cos that'll see them sorted, as it won't. For some people, repeating the LC might be the right solution for them.

• Advertisement

By pulled I meant no longer run, have heard this at several meetings etc. There are too many primary teachers, these postgrads were used to up the number, we no longer need that done.

What kind of meetings? It seems that the universities run courses that will make them money and attract numbers. I don't see them pulling a popular course. They still run the PDE for secondary despite there being an oversubscription of teachers for the last few years. They are even extending it into a two year course.

Hmm well I think that the college is supposed to keep places available until the rechecks are done. But even if the course were full you'd be guaranteed a place the following year, even if the points went up again.

How are they supposed to do that? For all they know they could suddenly have 50 eligible people who got the points for a course via rechecks demanding their places, it would be completely impossible. An exaggerated example, but you get the idea. I think they can and will ask you to wait until the following year, unless they know that someone has already withdrawn or has transferred to another course, or if the course is not full for whatever reason.

Is there not also an interview for the PDE? Getting the required grade isn't by itself enough, so bear that in mind. Most of the people I knew or heard of who got places had got some kind of experience in schools, either through subbing or shadowing or something like that, which requires organisation and no small degree of luck while also doing an Arts degree.

Bear in mind also that you have to pay fees for the PDE, while those who get Primary Teaching through the CAO as their primary degree have their fees covered through the Free Fees scheme.The fees for 2011/2012 were in the region of 6,000 euro (for St Pat's). While a small number might have this covered by a grant, the vast majority will not.

I do completely see your point about having an Arts degree as it is broader and (arguably) more transferable than a teaching degree. But I don't think you should be telling people never to repeat their LC and just do Arts + Grad Teaching 'cos that'll see them sorted, as it won't. For some people, repeating the LC might be the right solution for them.

The interview is only for Trinity afaik. I'm definite there isn't an interview for every other college for the PDE for secondary and almost certain it's the same for primary. Open to correction obviously.

Subbing and shadowing has been done away with now. The Teaching Council have brought in legislation that prevents 'experience' teaching giving you points towards entry to the course. The reason for this is that it's unfair on students to be taught by people who aren't qualified or in a programme under supervision (such as the PDE). Entry is now entirely based on grade. The people not getting in don't have good enough grades.

I take your point on the grant, that is definitely a consideration.

I offered an opinion on repeating the LC. I see it as a waste of time considering points can change year to year. The vast majority of people who repeat do not end up doing vastly better. Some do but equally those people could more than likely have done a PLC course or found an alternative way to do what they want.

I was ten points short for my course and ended up accepting my second choice. Best decision I ever made. People are free to disagree with me but that's my opinion. There are other people on here encouraging people to repeat.

The interview is only for Trinity afaik. I'm definite there isn't an interview for every other college for the PDE for secondary and almost certain it's the same for primary. Open to correction obviously.

Subbing and shadowing has been done away with now. The Teaching Council have brought in legislation that prevents 'experience' teaching giving you points towards entry to the course. The reason for this is that it's unfair on students to be taught by people who aren't qualified or in a programme under supervision (such as the PDE). Entry is now entirely based on grade. The people not getting in don't have good enough grades.

I take your point on the grant, that is definitely a consideration.

I offered an opinion on repeating the LC. I see it as a waste of time considering points can change year to year. The vast majority of people who repeat do not end up doing vastly better. Some do but equally those people could more than likely have done a PLC course or found an alternative way to do what they want.

I was ten points short for my course and ended up accepting my second choice. Best decision I ever made. People are free to disagree with me but that's my opinion. There are other people on here encouraging people to repeat.

For primary teaching, St Patrick's have an interview and an oral Irish test; for secondary I believe it is only TCD that have the interview, yes.

I accept your point that people don't tend to do hugely better if they repeat, unless they did absolutely nothing in sixth year or had an absolutely horrific time during the exams, but if (as you were yourself!) you were only a few points away from your preferred course it could be well worth repeating; while courses do go up and down, they rarely jump dramatically.

I agree, ultimately people have to decide themselves what is best for them re: either repeating or accepting a lower-preference course. But for primary teaching in particular (which was the point I was originally picking up on) the graduate option really isn't ideal: between the fees and the difficulty of being accepted, trying to get in via the primary degree route seems better (although all primary teachers have it tough at the moment due to the job situation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They still run the PDE for secondary despite there being an oversubscription of teachers for the last few years. They are even extending it into a two year course.
    The two year thing thing is more teaching council diktat than a choice by the universities.

You're right that colleges tend to continue to run courses while there is demand and funding. However, those conversion PGDips were set up during a time when we didn't have enough qualified teachers and partly on the back of encouragement / support from DES / HEA. Times have changed, and while these students pay their own fees anyway, if the HEA / DES decide to exclude these conversion courses from the FTE calculation for RGAM funding etc. (the other half of the funding mechanism) as tbh would be a logical decision at the moment, just watch how fast they will be discontinued.

Anyway, we're getting a wee bit off-topic here ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Disgusted is not the word. Did Hons Irish as external candidate as want to do the Hibernia primary course. Busted my ass, spent a fortune on grinds.

Fooking D2. Grinds teacher nearly died when I told her. Raging. Simply can not wait to see my script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Seriously late to the party with this but I've been in work...
    English - A1 (DEAD)
    French - A1
    Biology - A1
    Irish - A2
    History - A2
    Business - A2
    Maths (OL) - B1
    = 570 points!

People are always saying you'll do better than you think but I seriously never, ever expected this. I'm not really an emotional person normally but I spent a good ten minutes crying with
    happiness. Also had a very awkward interview on TV3

How are they supposed to do that? For all they know they could suddenly have 50 eligible people who got the points for a course via rechecks demanding their places, it would be completely impossible. An exaggerated example, but you get the idea. I think they can and will ask you to wait until the following year, unless they know that someone has already withdrawn or has transferred to another course, or if the course is not full for whatever reason.

That is extremely unlikely. Very few people get upgraded in general and an even smaller amount get upgraded enough to become eligible to enter a higher preference course. Once someone is upgraded, the CAO Office notifies the HEIs immediately and the colleges then offer the course to the applicant.

It doesn't seem likely to me that the student is penalised for mistakes made on the part of the state examiners. If the student meets the minimum entry requirements they're entitled to a place in the same way a student who had the results on the day is.

For primary teaching, St Patrick's have an interview and an oral Irish test; for secondary I believe it is only TCD that have the interview, yes.

I accept your point that people don't tend to do hugely better if they repeat, unless they did absolutely nothing in sixth year or had an absolutely horrific time during the exams, but if (as you were yourself!) you were only a few points away from your preferred course it could be well worth repeating; while courses do go up and down, they rarely jump dramatically.

I agree, ultimately people have to decide themselves what is best for them re: either repeating or accepting a lower-preference course. But for primary teaching in particular (which was the point I was originally picking up on) the graduate option really isn't ideal: between the fees and the difficulty of being accepted, trying to get in via the primary degree route seems better (although all primary teachers have it tough at the moment due to the job situation).

I actually think it's worse to repeat if you're only a few points off. Excepting mitigating circumstances here, it's hugely unlikely that somebody who worked hard and achieved 490 will get 510 the year after. People forget that five points equals a whole grade jump. To get jut 15 points more you'd have to jump three grades. I just find it too risky, especially with the chance that the course could go up five or ten points. My course had gone up by 20 points.

Personally I think the job situation would indicate it's better to do an Arts degree if you can afford the fees for a PDE because an Arts degree would give you the option of working in another sector if teaching jobs really were non-existent.

The two year thing thing is more teaching council diktat than a choice by the universities.

You're right that colleges tend to continue to run courses while there is demand and funding. However, those conversion PGDips were set up during a time when we didn't have enough qualified teachers and partly on the back of encouragement / support from DES / HEA. Times have changed, and while these students pay their own fees anyway, if the HEA / DES decide to exclude these conversion courses from the FTE calculation for RGAM funding etc. (the other half of the funding mechanism) as tbh would be a logical decision at the moment, just watch how fast they will be discontinued.

Anyway, we're getting a wee bit off-topic here ... :)

Perhaps you're right although I can't see it happening myself. I imagine colleges might just hike up the fees further to cover the loss of funding if the demand is there. But yes we're getting off topic! :)

That is extremely unlikely. Very few people get upgraded in general and an even smaller amount get upgraded enough to become eligible to enter a higher preference course. Once someone is upgraded, the CAO Office notifies the HEIs immediately and the colleges then offer the course to the applicant.

It doesn't seem likely to me that the student is penalised for mistakes made on the part of the state examiners. If the student meets the minimum entry requirements they're entitled to a place in the same way a student who had the results on the day is.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things few people would be in this scenario (hence my saying it's an exaggerated example), but the problem remains the same: how are colleges meant to 'keep aside' a few places for them? It just doesn't work, because admissions officers cannot just create places from nothing, and equally they cannot report to higher authorities saying that a course has say 20 places, but then only offer 18 in case people are upgraded, and then have empty places. Speaking purely from anecdotal evidence, I know someone who was in this situation, and she was initially told she'd have to wait until the following year as the college knew they had x places, and they had been allocated through the CAO. She did get very lucky in that in mid-October someone did withdraw and she was offered a place. But otherwise, she was told she'd be guaranteed a place for next year, but would have to wait until then to begin. It is unfair as you say because the student evidently did have the grades, but just not 'on the day' so to speak, but it is unfortunately just how admissions work, especially with remarks coming back so late.

If someone was off by only a few points, I think repeating would be well worth considering. Having done the Leaving Certificate before and 'knowing the system' would only work to your advantage, especially as you can drop your least favourite subjects, such as Maths or English once you've got your pass in them, and really focus on the subjects likely to bring you high results.

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that particular issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

The process isn't completed until mid-late October, by which point the colleges probably will not be in a position to offer you a place. You are guaranteed your place for the following academic year if you become eligible after appeals. The colleges wont have the room & it'd be late in the semester & you would have missed too much. Here's an example of it happening to someone:

http://www.leavingcert.net/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=3734

Advertisement