Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how'd it go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Muir wrote: »
    The process isn't completed until mid-late October, by which point the colleges probably will not be in a position to offer you a place. You are guaranteed your place for the following academic year if you become eligible after appeals. The colleges wont have the room & it'd be late in the semester & you would have missed too much. Here's an example of it happening to someone:

http://www.leavingcert.net/skoool/examcentre_senior.asp?id=3734
    In general, the chances of being offered a place in medicine or a similar high-demand / restricted numbers course for the *current* year as the result of a re-check / upgrade are very low. It actually wouldn't be all that fair to the student either: they would be coming into a demanding, intensive course which generally has exams at Christmas / ongoing CA at a disadvantage compared to their classmates. While waiting a year is ofc an absolute PITA, at least students have a guaranteed place.

It's more likely that people can be accommodated late on big omnibus courses, and often they will have accepted an earlier offer on a similar course ... e.g. if "Ann" missed out on the BA in European Studies with Business in UCD* by 5 points, and has accepted her second choice and already started a BA in French, Spanish and Economics in the omnibus Arts degree in UCD, it's much more likely that a transfer in the current year can be managed if she becomes entitled to the place due to an upgrade, especially as in first year there are likely to be common modules between the two.

( * for illustrative purposes only, I've no idea if there is such a degree in UCD, though it's likely enough that there's something of the type!)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FreeasmyHair

Congrats to everyone, you all did amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 weemonks

I got 15 points LOL

English: E (Ordinary)
    Irish: D1 (Foundation)
    French: F (Ordinary)
    Geography: D2 (Ordinary)
    Construction: D3 (Ordinary)
    Biology: NG (Ordinary)
    Maths: B1 (FOUNDATION LOL)

LOL

lol-i-dunno.jpg

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

weemonks wrote: »
    i got 15 points LOL

You only need 10 points to become a professional jam maker

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FreeasmyHair

Wait, I don't get it. Why are some people dissapointed by getting A2's? There are people who wouldn't get A's at all and worked just as hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

You know you want to :P

Please.... imma a WORLD CLASS basket weaver allready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I got 15 points LOL

LOL

lol-i-dunno.jpg

LOL

35 points I think

Muir wrote: »
    35 points I think

I done foundation maths for a raisin. I also did crap at english for a raisin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wait, I don't get it. Why are some people dissapointed by getting A2's? There are people who wouldn't get A's at all and worked just as hard.
    If someone got X amount of points or X grade but needed a higher grade or expected more points for their standard/effort they have every right to be disappointed.

Someone who spent their entire time in school on the brink of failing a subject but ends up getting a C3 will be overjoyed. Someone who excels in a subject or was counting on it for points who ended up getting an A2 will be disappointed.

I'd wager a guess and say almost everyone even slightly bothered about the results of their LC sat the exams to complete a Level 6-8 course. They need points. Some people need 300 and others need nearly 600. The person who needed 590 but only got 580 has just as much right to be disappointed as the person who needed 300 but only got 290.

Getting high points is an achievement but putting in the intense work required and ending up not getting access to your chosen course is a slap in the face that can't be celebrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Dylanj123

I got 15 points LOL

LOL

lol-i-dunno.jpg

[SIZE="7"]LOL[/SIZE]

I think I beat u by 10 points so take that!

All very true, Party, as annoying as I'm sure it is for Person A who struggled and sweated blood to pass a particular subject to hear Person B say "oh, I only got an A2, I was sure of an A1 in that one, I'm gutted!" (and let's be honest, it IS annoying, I'd feel like throwing eggs if it were me!), the other side of the coin is that that 10 points may mean the loss of whatever course Person B had their heart set on.

The real question that people should be asking themselves, though, is "did I try my best, and do as well as I possibly could have, realistically?"

If the answer to that is "yes" then you should be very proud of yourself, and celebrating, regardless of what "points" you got.

Of course, if the points you got are likely to get you the course you want on Monday (assuming you're hoping for an offer rather than heading off in a different direction), that's another reason to celebrate ... but it shouldn't be the primary benchmark of whether you did well or not!

p.s. I think the after-party "comedians" have arrived!! >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Personally, if I did excellently in an exam but fell short and ended up not benefiting in any way from my results i'd be angry with myself more than anything. It's true to say it's an achievement but it's a hollow one.

Exams aren't very enjoyable and without the reward of admission to a course getting good grades is a hollow victory. In the grand scheme of things, a person who got 550 points but missed out on their course isn't any better off than someone who got 280 points and missed out on their course. They'll be just as bitterly disappointed and telling them "You've got no reason to complain, you got excellent grades" doesn't really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Got points, got mouldy, we are all winners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I completely agree with partyatmygaff. While I'm still ecstatic with my results (:D :D) I can't help but feel a twinge of disappointment when I see that A2 in French. The A2 in English is also a little saddening when 15+ people I know got A1s and half of them didn't expect it - not that they didnt deserve them, or that I expected it, but you know. :o

I think it's worse to get so high and still miss out, because the person with lesser points will still be viewed as more hard done by even though both people deserve sympathy.

Also congratulations to everyone else who's posted tonight (especially Namlub and Togepi! Not sure if I saw a post by Togepi but I heard :D). *pats on back* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Also congratulations to everyone else who's posted tonight (especially Namlub and Togepi! Not sure if I saw a post by Togepi but I heard :D). *pats on back* :)

You heard, eh?! :P I posted in the OT a couple of pages back, was going to post here after, but I don't know if I will, effort like. :pac: Thank you, je suis aux anges, and well done to yourself too! Points twins/triplets - me, you and Meowth!! :D :P

Togepi wrote: »
    You heard, eh?! :P I posted in the OT a couple of pages back, was going to post here after, but I don't know if I will, effort like. :pac: Thank you, je suis aux anges, and well done to yourself too! Points twins/triplets - me, you and Meowth!! :D :P
    Just had a nice stalk and found them, well done!! :D The A1 in French, ooh la la...il m'a évadé malheureusment :o mon petit coeur jaloux, brisé :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Funny that a lot of people are saying Economics didn't go as expected, my friend who consistently got A1s in every single exam got a B1 in his Leaving Cert Economics, he's more than shocked to say the least, he thought he would have got close to 100%

Eathrin wrote: »
    Funny that a lot of people are saying Economics didn't go as expected, my friend who consistently got A1s in every single exam got a B1 in his Leaving Cert Economics, he's more than shocked to say the least, he thought he would have got close to 100%
    I noticed that too! My friend got an A1 in his mock and wants to do it in college, ended up with an A2. Seems really strange.

Just had a nice stalk and found them, well done!! :D The A1 in French, ooh la la...il m'a évadé malheureusment :o mon petit coeur jaloux, brisé :P

A1 in stalking. :P Merci! Ah, it's a very thin line between an A1 and an A2, don't get too bogged down by it. :) Speaking of thin lines, you beat me in Irish, ya feckerín!! :P I'm quite happy that the nasty paper two for us repeats (as opposed to the soft questions* ye got :P :pac:) only brought me down to an A2!

*Joke, obvs, it obviously wasn't too easy for ye, I'm just a bitter old woman who only decided she wanted an A1 in Irish because Patchy got one... :pac: And loads others actually! :eek: Gaeilge go deo! <3

• Advertisement

A1 in stalking. :P Merci! Ah, it's a very thin line between an A1 and an A2, don't get too bogged down by it. :) Speaking of thin lines, you beat me in Irish, ya feckerín!! :P I'm quite happy that the nasty paper two for us repeats (as opposed to the soft questions* ye got :P :pac:) only brought me down to an A2!

*Joke, obvs, it obviously wasn't too easy for ye, I'm just a bitter old woman who only decided she wanted an A1 in Irish because Patchy got one... :pac: And loads others actually! :eek: Gaeilge go deo! <3
    Swap ya Irish for French! :P That's true, I don't mind too much :) 540 would have been a sexy number though, because I estimated 530 to be my limit and I hit it. :P Gonna view it to make sure it wasn't my mishearing that killed me - fookin parachute jumper! :P

Hahaha not gonna lie, Irish P2 was sooooo easy I thought, poor repeatin' feckers. :P Ni raibh a lan gra agam do Ghaeilge i rith an tsamhradh agus is docha go bhfuilim ag deanamh a lan botuin anseo (minus fadas!), ach thug si dom 100 pointi agus taimid ceart go leor anois, go la mo bhais. :D

(I'll stop dragging this OT now, before randy gets me! :pac:)

Swap ya Irish for French! :P That's true, I don't mind too much :) 540 would have been a sexy number though, because I estimated 530 to be my limit and I hit it. :P Gonna view it to make sure it wasn't my mishearing that killed me - fookin parachute jumper! :P

Hahaha not gonna lie, Irish P2 was sooooo easy I thought, poor repeatin' feckers. :P Ni raibh a lan gra agam do Ghaeilge i rith an tsamhradh agus is docha go bhfuilim ag deanamh a lan botuin anseo (minus fadas!), ach thug si dom 100 pointi agus taimid ceart go leor anois, go la mo bhais. :D

(I'll stop dragging this OT now, before randy gets me! :pac:)

:eek:

Jamais!! :P

480 was my max, so yeah, 50 points higher than I allowed myself to hope for was quite nice!

I'm viewing them all because I'm a nerd and I have no life and it's actually fun okay!! :o No intention of appealing any though! ...Parachute jumper? :confused:

:(

Ours was awful! </3 Cosuil liom féin, ach níor thaitin Gaeilge liom ón gcéad árdtheist. :pac: Ach chaith mé mo gheansaí ghaeltachta le bhród inniú. :')

Randy started the whole OT thing here, earlier on he was all OT this and OT that! :pac:

/runs

(/to the OT thread) :D

Randy started the whole OT thing here, earlier on he was all OT this and OT that! :pac:
    I did not start anything, you rap! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

I done foundation maths for a raisin. I also did crap at english for a raisin.

I bet they were tasty raisins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I've yet to go to sleep! I actually can't! One of the best nights of my life! Roll on the fun times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I'm happy with my 315, even though i hoped for about 330.. But I realise I would of done so much better if I didn't break my wrist as I learn by writing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

540 and I don't even get to count the extra 25 in maths(my lowest grade) because my next lowest grade gives me the equivalent of my maths grade plus the 25! Don't really mind though ,just happy that I passed maths!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

435, I'm happy enough I s'pose.

A1 in French, bit disappointed with a B1 in history though....I thought it went perfectly, not sure if I'll bother appealing but I might just review it myself with my teacher maybe, just to see. Also a bit disappointed with a C1 in English but ah well 435 is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

Ya, I got an A2, thought I'd get a B1/A2 so happy out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiona1993

English (H) B3
    Geography (H) A1
    Biology (H) A2
    Spanish (H) C2
    Home Economics (H) A2
    Agricultural Science (H) A2

Happy enough with 510, I want OT though... That was 500 last year,,

It'll be tight :confused: