Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website optimisation job interview

Options
  • 15-08-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I have a job interview next week for a website optimization role. What kind of questions do you think they would ask me? Any advice and tips would be awesome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marty_McFly

Well you want to make sure you are up to date with all things SEO especially with regards to the recent Google algorithm changes.

Google Algorithm Change History

They may very well ask you to look at a website there and then and get you to point out mistakes with the sites SEO so it's important that you are familiar with all the on site SEO factors such as page titles e.t.c.

More than likely they will ask you about the main SEO tools out there and your experience with them. Main ones listed below;

SEOMoz
    Majestic SEO
    Raventools
    Ahrefs

They might ask about what forums and blogs you follow. Again main ones listed below.

SEOMoz
    Search Engine Land
    SEO Book
    Michael Gray
    SEO by the Sea

What level of experience do you have? If it's an entry level position then obviously there isn't a whole lot they can ask but they will be looking for someone who is enthusiastic about SEO and who has a keen interest in it.

If you are only starting out then have a good read over this SEO guide.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bmalone1986

Awesome feedback, thanks so much for that especially the keeping up to date with seo, like the changes on the Google algorithm, top stuff!

I have 5 years experience at seo and digital marketing in a online commercial environment. I am just curious if anyone has had a interview for a web optimiser or similar role before and what questions they were asked. This is my first interview in 5 years and I need all the help I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Marty_McFly

I am just curious if anyone has had a interview for a web optimiser or similar role before and what questions they were asked.

Well I'm not sure how much help I can be because the interviews that I have sat in on were more focused on PPC as opposed to SEO but we would always ask to see a website that they had worked on and ask them to go through what they did to improve the websites ranking.

Prity basic I know but as I said these positions were primarily PPC based.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I would advise to find where they rank, and for what key terms, if you have a plan or strategy on how YOU are going to change and boost their rankings you're sure to get the position.

If you get the interviewer to say yes or agree with you more than three times the job is more or less yours!

Good-luck with the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I find Twitter really useful in keeping up with SEO changes.

If you can, keep it open all day and follow the right people

The guys above have offered some great advice. Bare in mind as well, some on-site changes have a big impact on a site's performance. Ask them if they often perform split A/B testing to help identify what does and doesn't work on sites.

It can often be overlooked or forgotten about by some of the people I work with...drives me mad!

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bmalone1986

The role is also asking for expert knowledge on Google analytics, paid search and Excel. I have expert knowledge of the first two, but Excel? I'm pretty handy with Excel, wouldnt say I'm an expert though, can extract reports into Excel and analysis the numbers etc., but what expert tasks could you do in Excel related to seo reports? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I got 93% in college in Excel .. I dont consider myself an expert ..

As long as you can upload down csv files, interlink tabs and do some fancy formulas which are ALL available quickly via the old google button you have nothing to worry about ive never been asked anything other or rather more advanced than the above !

Advertisement