Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia course for secondary teaching

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, I have an interview shortly for the Hibernia course for secondary teaching. As my main subject is French, some of the interview will be in French. Has anyone done this before and if so, can you remember some of the questions you were asked during the French part of the interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 derval3

I am in the same boat. I have an inteview next week and was just wondering what kind of questions they ask in French?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I hope this isn't seen as a dig because it's not intended that way but if you both have degrees in French, what does it matter what they ask you? They don't expect you to have the entire French dictionary memorised so it shouldn't count against you if they throw you a word you don't understand provided you react to it well.

If the question was about what questions you might be asked in general, I'd understand but I imagine they won't ask much in French that they couldn't just as easily ask in english or about other subjects (methodologies, disciplinary issues etc.).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

RealJohn wrote: »
    I hope this isn't seen as a dig because it's not intended that way but if you both have degrees in French, what does it matter what they ask you? They don't expect you to have the entire French dictionary memorised so it shouldn't count against you if they throw you a word you don't understand provided you react to it well.

Agree with RealJohn here. Even if you know exactly what questions will come up and have practiced your answers for those, you'll then be in teaching practice and expected to speak French for 40 minutes or so. If your French isn't up to scratch you'll get a terrible grade and will find it hard to find work (also job interviews could be partially in French). And the you'd have wasted €9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

I was interviewed for TCD, the interview was also partially in French.

Questions were general, asked in both French and English
    -how would you incorporate target language into the classroom, and TL usage by students
    -how can you motivate students
    -experience of living in a francophone region
    -experience of working with children, teaching/tutoring

I can't remember the whole half hour! I also can't remember which questions were asked in French or English, but be prepared to answer questions like the ones above in either language. If you don't understand the question, ask. But there's the gist. If you google hdip interview questions, you can find lots of lists and things. Just go on those questions. It's a natural progression in the interview, obviously they have some questions they will ask everyone, but think about particular things related to teaching language also.

You're not a native Frenchie, like the other poster said, they don't expect you to know every single word. You will be expected to speak French in class for 40 minutes, so they are looking for a good standard.

Bonne chance!

Thanks purplepapillon. It is handy to know the kind of questions they asked in tcd. Thanks as well for the good luck wishes.

• Advertisement

Thanks badangel and dory. I am just trying to prepare for all of the questions for the interview, to include those asked in french. It appears from the various posts on boards etc that specific questions are asked in the language section e.g.about your weekend, what would you do if you won the lotto etc. These questions might not normally otherwise be asked. It is all about trying to prepare as much as possible, much the same way as it is in the classroom. Thanks again for all tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

derval3 wrote: »
    It appears from the various posts on boards etc that specific questions are asked in the language section e.g.about your weekend, what would you do if you won the lotto etc. These questions might not normally otherwise be asked.

These are questions which may come up in a Leaving Cert oral, definitely not in an interview! Don't prepare these at all! Myself, I generally would have kept informed of developments in education, follow some blogs and stuff. It's handy to know current educational theory, obviously not necessary as a newcomer, but beneficial.

Before my interview I would have looked some particular terms up (mainly to check if they were masculine or feminine!) - things to do with discipline, pedagogical theory, teaching and learning, imaginative ways to use resources to use in the language classroom especially ICT, podcasts and so on.

Best of luck tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Thanks purplepapillon. You are very good to reply to me again. I will focus my efforts on what you have suggested. Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭loveofliving

I am hoping to start this course in October. How have you been finding it?

Could you give me some information on the course structure if you start in October, i.e what actually happens in October when you start, is there an immediate week of class or something or when is the first time you've to do something like that? Also when exactly are the three teaching practice blocks? Really need to know all this before I tell my employer...

Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

5 weeks (on observation included) April 2014
    5 weeks November 2014
    5 weeks February 2015

I started in October last year so I assume the blocks will be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

derval3 wrote: »
    Thanks badangel and dory. I am just trying to prepare for all of the questions for the interview, to include those asked in french. It appears from the various posts on boards etc that specific questions are asked in the language section e.g.about your weekend, what would you do if you won the lotto etc. These questions might not normally otherwise be asked. It is all about trying to prepare as much as possible, much the same way as it is in the classroom. Thanks again for all tips.

I would be very concerned that a person who aspired to teach French and had a degree in French could not answer 'what did you do for the weekend' in French if they were put on the spot. That's Leaving Cert stuff, hell that's Junior Cert level.

Advertisement