Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your biggest waste of money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Where To wrote: »
    Na, wouldn't be a long story if it was :p

Well you might be one of those lonely men who pay hookers to listen to them ........... but you're a taxi driver so people pay you for that.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I bought a couple of first edition, first printing hardback books. An Arthur C Clarke, Stephen King and Philip K Dick, which now sit mocking me from the bookshelves. Luckily sense prevailed when I genuinely thought about getting a Frank Herbert Dune first edition, first printing which would have set me back 000's. The one good thing is that at least they will retain most if not all of the value I paid.

Again while not a waste of money as again hopefully I'd get what I paid for them, but buying Family Guy, Disney, Star Trek and Hanna Barbera production cells seems a tab bit extravagant.

God when I think back, why rent it from extravision when I can buy it online, watch it the once and let it gather dust for the next ten years. Same went for clothes, Mr Visa and Mrs Mastercard must have put the neighbours kids let alone their own through college on the money I put on their cards every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

1. Second PS3 so that I could play while in bed in the evenings. Gets dust.

2. Breakfast rolls from O'Briens. Every day + 2 cans of coke and a coffee. Got me 20kg extra, took me almost 2 years to get rid of it.

3. Smokes. 17 years until I gave up 5 years ago. What a waste.

4. Staying in my current job, underpaid. Every day is a loss. But I'm gonna change it quite soon.

5. Money I've spent on my former girlfriend, until I understood that my wife is actually best girl in the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

1. A Wedding :mad:
    2. The $$$$ I spent on her (see above)
    3. Several cars
    4. A house (but fortunately got most of my money back on that one)
    5. A Nintendo Wii (gathering dust, along with a PS2)
    6. An Omega watch (looks great, but a casio is a better time keeper!)
    7. Home entertainment system (big TV, surround sound, blu-ray, etc)... could not really be classed as a waste, seeing as I use it every day, but I spent too much on it.

And loads of other "lesser" ones, some of which others have mentioned here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aged 20-30 inc. the obscene amount of money I spent on booze......

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

A kayak for 600 in total. Used it twice.

For about twenty minutes total..

Sold it for about 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

My beautiful Porsche 911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0807/1224321629609.html

Just reading that article and especially at the end and the money wasted on items never used.

When you look back, what would you class as the most pointless waste of money you have spent on goods. I'll kick off:

1. €27k on a celtic tiger BMW that I sold 2 years later for €12k
    2. €250 on a....penis extender that ended up in a skip 4 weeks later...:o(Look, I was living alone, bored and with internet access and I thought I would put my spare time to good use)
    3. €2k on Anglo shares in 2005
    4. €300 on an exercise bike that I never used and I just abandoned it in a house when I left.

Many more will come to mind

Are you Ross O'Carroll Kelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

blacklilly wrote: »
    My beautiful Porsche 911

Hows that a waste! (unless of course you sold it since for a lot less or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Did it work?

Never tried it for long enough. Too much effort and I felt like a right prat.

Hahahaha needle dick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Max Power1 wrote: »
    blacklilly wrote: »
    My beautiful Porsche 911

Hows that a waste! (unless of course you sold it since for a lot less or something)

Sorry I was merely day dreaming when I posted that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I waste money on an awful lot of little things, I look around and am aghast at the amount of useless shyte I have, I also have far to many clothes and tracksuits. I have joined a gym twice and went once in both cases, I do exercise but not indoors, I much prefer to be outdoors, the irony is I want to start swimming again so I may join another gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

My BMW Z3 - but i loved it - leaky roof and all...
    My house, massive negative equity and I don't live in it...
    Along with ridiculous nights out but at least I have the memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

A paid subscription to Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

1. A popcorn maker. What a waste! The popcorn tasted like cardboard. Ugh!

2. My first laptop: Packard Bell piece of crap! I've learnt a lot since then. But boy was that an expensive lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

GPS watch.€300

Rubbish. Takes forever to get a lock and my GPS on my phone is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

100 quid on rollerblades. Never used them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    100 quid on rollerblades. Never used them once.

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to tell your parents you're gay! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

thefloss wrote: »
    Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to tell your parents you're gay! ;)

How would gliding through the Phoenix Park on hot pink rollerblades have been gay? Oh wait...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

€600 on an iPod (They cost €550 for the 40GB one and €50 to buy the frikken cable to connect it to the computer). :rolleyes: €1200 on a drum kit I used for a few months. It has been gathering dust since 2003. A rowing machine I took out of the box, was missing a piece so I casually slid it under the bed. No thoughts of going back and getting the piece! My first mac cost €2500 but 7 years later it's still going strong so I guess it's not such a waste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

1500 quid on a big lcd tv back in 2006. A couple of years later "Full HD" hit .... :mad:

Moral of the story, early adoption is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Agricola wrote: »
    1500 quid on a big lcd tv back in 2006. A couple of years later "Full HD" hit .... :mad:

I hear that! €7500 for my first 43" plasma... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

apartment during boom time :(
    Everything else I've bought I use, so I'm normally an incredibly sensible person, sigh¬!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Not a whole lot, got a few overpriced phones that I usually managed to shift without making a huge loss, including a few satellite phones and a Nokia 9500

A massive beast of a PC that I built and ended up sounding like a hoover and also the overpriced motherboard packed up after a while and it was hard to get a refund so in the end I didn't.

Usually sensible the biggest waste was probably repeating a few years in college. Used to come in after only a couple hours sleep or not at all then went on a dossing spree cause i "wasn't going to finish the course anyway and do something else"

also kept driving a car that was 20 year old because after I fix a small problem it would be "good for another 100,000" which turned out to be maybe 3,000 if i was lucky. not really a waste though cause I learnt a lot from it. still have the car in the shed and might throw a few 100e at it to make it ready for being a classic, parts for it are cheap now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I bought a couple of first edition, first printing hardback books. An Arthur C Clarke, Stephen King and Philip K Dick, which now sit mocking me from the bookshelves. Luckily sense prevailed when I genuinely thought about getting a Frank Herbert Dune first edition, first printing which would have set me back 000's. The one good thing is that at least they will retain most if not all of the value I paid.

Again while not a waste of money as again hopefully I'd get what I paid for them, but buying Family Guy, Disney, Star Trek and Hanna Barbera production cells seems a tab bit extravagant.
    Yea R the books are likely an investment. I've a few first edition/printing hardbacks myself. The most I paid for one was 60 quid and it's worth a few bob today. That stuff isn't a waste really. Production cells can be iffy. Original Disney ones maybe, but most aren't much cop as long term investments. Movie posters can be similar. Original pre 70's jobs (except for a few classics. Star Wars as I found out recently when I googled my own first example SW one from 77 I got as a pressie in that year that I nearly threw out in the 80's :eek:) can be amazing investments. They've gone through the bloody roof in the last 20 years.
    eth0 wrote: »
    also kept driving a car that was 20 year old because after I fix a small problem it would be "good for another 100,000" which turned out to be maybe 3,000 if i was lucky. not really a waste though cause I learnt a lot from it. still have the car in the shed and might throw a few 100e at it to make it ready for being a classic, parts for it are cheap now.
    Within reason old cars usually still work out cheaper in the long term. Certainly more than a new car. Shít if I won the euromillions I'd still break out in a rash buying a new car, what with the mad depreciation involved. Thank god others don't think along those lines.

I've no real bad wastes of money, but thats more luck than judgement TBH. That and my cheapskate nature and lack of purchasing power. That said I bought a few powertools and the like, that only my mates use...:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college and moving somewhere I don't really need a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college
    Urghh, I hated you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Urghh, I hated you.

Fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bushbleacher

Hundreds of pounds on pokemon cards back in the day..all ended up in the bin

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college and moving somewhere I don't really need a car

Before starting college ??? New. A4 ?

There's a 1% problem right there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't think I've ever wasted money on anything big in particular, but I suppose my biggest waste of money would definitely be cigarettes. Whenever I finish a pack I often wonder to myself why am I doing this? Thinking about all the money I could save pretty much makes me sick but of course I can't help but buy another pack to keep me from going nuts. I gave up for about a month earlier this year and each week that I didn't smoke a cigarette I put aside €20 to remind me how much money I could save by not smoking. My aim was for every €100 I'd save I'd treat myself to something but I gave in eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I bought a 20 thousand dollar fur coat.

Now I live in it.
    cursai wrote: »
    A paid subscription to Boards.ie.

I paid for a month because I wanted a cat avatar. Best investment ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I bought a Portal gun because i loved the games but apart from looking good and making a cool sound, its just a shiny ornament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Diapason wrote: »
    Agricola wrote: »

I hear that! €7500 for my first 43" plasma... :eek:

WHAT?! lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I bought a 20 thousand dollar fur coat.

Now I live in it.

I paid for a month because I wanted a cat avatar. Best investment ever.

Do enough people have the feature to see avatars turned on? I didn't know avatars and signatures existed until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do enough people have the feature to see avatars turned on? I didn't know avatars and signatures existed until recently.

I don't know but all I can say is it makes me happy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Within reason old cars usually still work out cheaper in the long term. Certainly more than a new car. Shít if I won the euromillions I'd still break out in a rash buying a new car, what with the mad depreciation involved. Thank god others don't think along those lines.

I've no real bad wastes of money, but thats more luck than judgement TBH. That and my cheapskate nature and lack of purchasing power. That said I bought a few powertools and the like, that only my mates use...:o

This ones a bit heavy on the ould footprint as well which was grand when i could fill its 70L tank and get change from a 50e note but if i wasnt driving much itd be grand. At least now i can look for parts for it at my leasure. What car would you buy if you won the euro millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

Playing lotto

The "voluntary" contribution you pay in secondary school

Tipping yer man in the jacks of the niteclub. Gave him a fiver the last night, didn't even get a lolly pop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Did it work?

No it did no.... ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

No it did not.

FIN.

• Advertisement

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I bought a Portal gun because i loved the games but apart from looking good and making a cool sound, its just a shiny ornament.

I've googled it and still have no idea wtf that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

2000 Euro on Eircom shares.
    Should've offloaded them after a few weeks. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Soccer player stickers when I was younger. Spent a load trying to get the last one to fill the book.

Looking back now what a load of bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 _underscore

600 on a meteor phone bill when I first got my new phone that was not properly set up to the internet.

Sounds like you weren't properly set up to use the phone.. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

180 euro for a turbo trainer that i used once.

offloaded it to some poor sucker for a 100 euro last week so its not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

The bookies, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

Apolloyon wrote: »
    1. A popcorn maker. What a waste! The popcorn tasted like cardboard. Ugh!

wat was ever wrong with a pot, oil and a lid:rolleyes:

oh yeah, when the ps3 was comming out i pre-ordered for some stupid reason, stilll dunno why, cant remember how much was around €600ish wat was i thinking, like 2/3 weeks later they knocked €100-150 off it :(

and i rarely play it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Groupon/Living Social/Pigsback/Boards etc vouchers. I needed, perhaps, two of them. The rest I thought I wanted, or I wanted but had no time to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

Before starting college ??? New. A4 ?

There's a 1% problem right there

I had been working 45+ hours a week for three years by the time I ordered the car and never spent much money on drinks and nights out as my dad suffered from cancer and I was at home to look after him when I was not at work. As I was living at home and had no car throughout this period so I had a lot of time to save up for it.

+ it wasn't brand new, but an annual car with 1500km mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I bought an airline. Then I sold it off in small pieces to the highest bidders and made a lot of money in the process. The only problem was that I kind of manipulated the son of the head of the union at the time to grease the wheels, so to speak. In any case, I promised the son, and the union leader that the sale would be a good thing for them.

When the son discovered that my motives were selfish, and that he was implicated in some less than moral dealings, he hatched a plan to have revenge, which he managed to achieve.

I wish I never bought that airline but I eventually got back into business in 2011 but I don't really know what happened there as I haven't seen the film yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wish I never bought that airline but I eventually got back into business in 2011 but I don't really know what happened there as I haven't seen the film yet.

The son shows up at a bar with a beautiful woman and asks you if blue horseshoe still loves anacott steel. Then Shia La Beouf says "no no no" alot.

Trust me, you didn't miss much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement