Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest waste of money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Max Power1 wrote: »
    blacklilly wrote: »
    My beautiful Porsche 911

Hows that a waste! (unless of course you sold it since for a lot less or something)

Sorry I was merely day dreaming when I posted that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I waste money on an awful lot of little things, I look around and am aghast at the amount of useless shyte I have, I also have far to many clothes and tracksuits. I have joined a gym twice and went once in both cases, I do exercise but not indoors, I much prefer to be outdoors, the irony is I want to start swimming again so I may join another gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

My BMW Z3 - but i loved it - leaky roof and all...
    My house, massive negative equity and I don't live in it...
    Along with ridiculous nights out but at least I have the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

A paid subscription to Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

1. A popcorn maker. What a waste! The popcorn tasted like cardboard. Ugh!

2. My first laptop: Packard Bell piece of crap! I've learnt a lot since then. But boy was that an expensive lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

GPS watch.€300

Rubbish. Takes forever to get a lock and my GPS on my phone is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

100 quid on rollerblades. Never used them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

BlimpyBoy wrote: »
    100 quid on rollerblades. Never used them once.

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to tell your parents you're gay! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

thefloss wrote: »
    Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to tell your parents you're gay! ;)

How would gliding through the Phoenix Park on hot pink rollerblades have been gay? Oh wait...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

€600 on an iPod (They cost €550 for the 40GB one and €50 to buy the frikken cable to connect it to the computer). :rolleyes: €1200 on a drum kit I used for a few months. It has been gathering dust since 2003. A rowing machine I took out of the box, was missing a piece so I casually slid it under the bed. No thoughts of going back and getting the piece! My first mac cost €2500 but 7 years later it's still going strong so I guess it's not such a waste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

1500 quid on a big lcd tv back in 2006. A couple of years later "Full HD" hit .... :mad:

Moral of the story, early adoption is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Agricola wrote: »
    1500 quid on a big lcd tv back in 2006. A couple of years later "Full HD" hit .... :mad:

I hear that! €7500 for my first 43" plasma... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

apartment during boom time :(
    Everything else I've bought I use, so I'm normally an incredibly sensible person, sigh¬!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Not a whole lot, got a few overpriced phones that I usually managed to shift without making a huge loss, including a few satellite phones and a Nokia 9500

A massive beast of a PC that I built and ended up sounding like a hoover and also the overpriced motherboard packed up after a while and it was hard to get a refund so in the end I didn't.

Usually sensible the biggest waste was probably repeating a few years in college. Used to come in after only a couple hours sleep or not at all then went on a dossing spree cause i "wasn't going to finish the course anyway and do something else"

also kept driving a car that was 20 year old because after I fix a small problem it would be "good for another 100,000" which turned out to be maybe 3,000 if i was lucky. not really a waste though cause I learnt a lot from it. still have the car in the shed and might throw a few 100e at it to make it ready for being a classic, parts for it are cheap now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I bought a couple of first edition, first printing hardback books. An Arthur C Clarke, Stephen King and Philip K Dick, which now sit mocking me from the bookshelves. Luckily sense prevailed when I genuinely thought about getting a Frank Herbert Dune first edition, first printing which would have set me back 000's. The one good thing is that at least they will retain most if not all of the value I paid.

Again while not a waste of money as again hopefully I'd get what I paid for them, but buying Family Guy, Disney, Star Trek and Hanna Barbera production cells seems a tab bit extravagant.
    Yea R the books are likely an investment. I've a few first edition/printing hardbacks myself. The most I paid for one was 60 quid and it's worth a few bob today. That stuff isn't a waste really. Production cells can be iffy. Original Disney ones maybe, but most aren't much cop as long term investments. Movie posters can be similar. Original pre 70's jobs (except for a few classics. Star Wars as I found out recently when I googled my own first example SW one from 77 I got as a pressie in that year that I nearly threw out in the 80's :eek:) can be amazing investments. They've gone through the bloody roof in the last 20 years.
    eth0 wrote: »
    also kept driving a car that was 20 year old because after I fix a small problem it would be "good for another 100,000" which turned out to be maybe 3,000 if i was lucky. not really a waste though cause I learnt a lot from it. still have the car in the shed and might throw a few 100e at it to make it ready for being a classic, parts for it are cheap now.
    Within reason old cars usually still work out cheaper in the long term. Certainly more than a new car. Shít if I won the euromillions I'd still break out in a rash buying a new car, what with the mad depreciation involved. Thank god others don't think along those lines.

I've no real bad wastes of money, but thats more luck than judgement TBH. That and my cheapskate nature and lack of purchasing power. That said I bought a few powertools and the like, that only my mates use...:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college and moving somewhere I don't really need a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college
    Urghh, I hated you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Urghh, I hated you.

Fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bushbleacher

Hundreds of pounds on pokemon cards back in the day..all ended up in the bin

- New Audi A4 shortly before starting college and moving somewhere I don't really need a car

Before starting college ??? New. A4 ?

There's a 1% problem right there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't think I've ever wasted money on anything big in particular, but I suppose my biggest waste of money would definitely be cigarettes. Whenever I finish a pack I often wonder to myself why am I doing this? Thinking about all the money I could save pretty much makes me sick but of course I can't help but buy another pack to keep me from going nuts. I gave up for about a month earlier this year and each week that I didn't smoke a cigarette I put aside €20 to remind me how much money I could save by not smoking. My aim was for every €100 I'd save I'd treat myself to something but I gave in eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I bought a 20 thousand dollar fur coat.

Now I live in it.
    cursai wrote: »
    A paid subscription to Boards.ie.

I paid for a month because I wanted a cat avatar. Best investment ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I bought a Portal gun because i loved the games but apart from looking good and making a cool sound, its just a shiny ornament.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Diapason wrote: »
    Agricola wrote: »

I hear that! €7500 for my first 43" plasma... :eek:

WHAT?! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I bought a 20 thousand dollar fur coat.

Now I live in it.

I paid for a month because I wanted a cat avatar. Best investment ever.

Do enough people have the feature to see avatars turned on? I didn't know avatars and signatures existed until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do enough people have the feature to see avatars turned on? I didn't know avatars and signatures existed until recently.

I don't know but all I can say is it makes me happy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Within reason old cars usually still work out cheaper in the long term. Certainly more than a new car. Shít if I won the euromillions I'd still break out in a rash buying a new car, what with the mad depreciation involved. Thank god others don't think along those lines.

I've no real bad wastes of money, but thats more luck than judgement TBH. That and my cheapskate nature and lack of purchasing power. That said I bought a few powertools and the like, that only my mates use...:o

This ones a bit heavy on the ould footprint as well which was grand when i could fill its 70L tank and get change from a 50e note but if i wasnt driving much itd be grand. At least now i can look for parts for it at my leasure. What car would you buy if you won the euro millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

Playing lotto

The "voluntary" contribution you pay in secondary school

Tipping yer man in the jacks of the niteclub. Gave him a fiver the last night, didn't even get a lolly pop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Did it work?

No it did no.... ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

No it did not.

FIN.

• Advertisement

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I bought a Portal gun because i loved the games but apart from looking good and making a cool sound, its just a shiny ornament.

I've googled it and still have no idea wtf that is

Advertisement