Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Tenancy Inspection

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

I got the following email from Sherry Fitzgerald who are managing the rent of our property. Is this normal? We had a bit of trouble a month or 2 ago from them, they eventually admitted it wasnt our fault but they were trying to charge us for problems with electrics..

Should there be a need for mid tenancy inspections?

We've had enough shít from them, and none of us need to be taking time off work to let them look around unless we have to

Hello Neil, Sean and Ciaran

I would like to arrange a mid tenancy inspection of the above property, can you advise of a day that suits? Perhap tomorrow or Friday.

Inspections are between 9am and 5pm Mon - Fri, we have keys if it will not be possible for anyone to be there.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Deirdre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's not all that unusual for EAs/landlords to carry out mid tenancy inspections. However, if it was me, I'd rather be there when they carried out the inspection. I don't like the idea of anyone being in my house/apartment when I'm not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

convert wrote: »
    It's not all that unusual for EAs/landlords to carry out mid tenancy inspections. However, if it was me, I'd rather be there when they carried out the inspection. I don't like the idea of anyone being in my house/apartment when I'm not there.

Yeah, i really dont want someone in the house when im not there, especially the way we were treated previously by them.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask for the inspection to happen at a time where it doesnt involve us taking time off work?

Thanks
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Hi there!

I got the following email from Sherry Fitzgerald who are managing the rent of our property. Is this normal? We had a bit of trouble a month or 2 ago from them, they eventually admitted it wasnt our fault but they were trying to charge us for problems with electrics..

Should there be a need for mid tenancy inspections?

We've had enough shít from them, and none of us need to be taking time off work to let them look around unless we have to

Hello Neil, Sean and Ciaran

I would like to arrange a mid tenancy inspection of the above property, can you advise of a day that suits? Perhap tomorrow or Friday.

Inspections are between 9am and 5pm Mon - Fri, we have keys if it will not be possible for anyone to be there.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Deirdre

I wouldn't allow inspections with me not present, and you shouldn't take time off, they should be accommodating your hours, not you theirs. Unless there's some contractual thing where they can specify inspections have to be during working hours.

If you tell them that they can't come in unless you're there, and they inspect it regardless, then they're trespassing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Yeah, i really dont want someone in the house when im not there, especially the way we were treated previously by them.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask for the inspection to happen at a time where it doesnt involve us taking time off work?

Thanks
    Neil

Not unreasonable at all, you are perfectly within your rights. If they want to inspect the place they must arrange a time suitable to YOU, not to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

srsly78 wrote: »
    Not unreasonable at all, you are perfectly within your rights. If they want to inspect the place they must arrange a time suitable to YOU, not to them.

thanks for the replies. We are still a bit annoyed with how the attempted to extract money from us before for fixing electrics, so we definately wont be taking any time off to suit them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The inspection has to be arranged a week in advance (unless you agree otherwise) and at a time that suits the tenant. Mon - Fri??? Tell them you can meet them in the evening time or Saturday afternoon.
    An inspection is pretty normal ans is allowed for under the 2004 act.

From the act

'allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord’s behalf, access to the dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling,'

'allowing access for repairs to be carried out and by appointment for
    routine inspections.'

I would say a reasonable time would be one where you did not have to take time off work or change existing plans.

You can of course give them permission to enter while you are not there but I would not allow that in my apartment.

If they do push the inspection, take pictures of everything beforehand, with a date stamp or a newspaper in each to act as a date stamp. Just incase....

Advertisement