Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Impact

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

This might seem a bit premature, but I'm new to the south of the city and I'm reminded of images/videos of Drundrum SC underwater last November (which wouldn't be a million miles from where I'm now living/working)

So with what is (according to the media reports) potentially the worst storm to hit since 1986 now starting to rain down on us, how does the Sandyford/Stepaside area hold up under bad weather conditions? Am I going to arrive home to find all my gear floating around the sitting room (ground floor apartment)

Related as well, how did it do in the bad winter 2 years ago?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Have a look at http://floodmap.ie/ which identifies areas that had previous flooding issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Have a look at http://floodmap.ie/ which identifies areas that had previous flooding issues

Cheers for that - interesting site. Not sure how accurate it is though as my estate isn't even shown (and it's here since 2003!)

On the plus side the general surrounding area seems ok so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You are so far upstream in the catchment area there that you wouldnt flood if all the ice caps disappeared in the morning

As for yesterdays 'Hurricane', the tabloids have a lot to answer for, those few twigs and puddles caused great hardship........

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Generally, there are no flooding issues due to Sandyford and Stepaside being on high ground. (save for an area being in a hollow). Winter wise, there are usually a few difficulties when snow and ice come to visit. Very few buses made it to Stepaside in the bad snows.

Advertisement