Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Belfast to Galway

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi.
    I'm looking for advice on the best way to get from Belfast to Galway.
    Train to Dub, then Galway?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hi.
    I'm looking for advice on the best way to get from Belfast to Galway.
    Train to Dub, then Galway?

There's a thread on the second page dealing with this question

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Transport.
    Earlier thread mentioned above
    Searched for you

My advice - take the train to Dub and then the train up to Belfast. You'll find times and prices on the Irish rail website.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Thanks. I wanted advice from someone who had done the trip and having read the thread mentioned by Anton, I can see that 2 buses takes about 9 hours but the general consensus seems to be train from Belfast than Gobus from Dublin is the best way, so I've googled the Gobus timetables.

(Not sure why no-one else mentioned the train for Dub-Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Thanks. I wanted advice from someone who had done the trip and having read the thread mentioned by Anton, I can see that 2 buses takes about 9 hours but the general consensus seems to be train from Belfast than Gobus from Dublin is the best way, so I've googled the Gobus timetables.

(Not sure why no-one else mentioned the train for Dub-Galway)

Three reasons:
    1. More than twice as expensive as gobus/citylink
    2. Usually slower
    3. Leaves you at the far end of the Quays, so you've to get the Luas/90 bus across to Busarus/Connolly for the next leg.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Three reasons:
    1. More than twice as expensive as gobus/citylink
    2. Usually slower
    3. Leaves you at the far end of the Quays, so you've to get the Luas/90 bus across to Busarus/Connolly for the next leg.

And that's why I use Boards.ie for advice!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would be faster, cheaper and more convenient [1] to take the bus.

Multiple different bus options.

Bus Eireann or Aircoach from Belfast to Dublin Airport.

Then Bus Eireann, Citylink or GoBus from Dublin Airport to Galway.

Note CityLink/GoBus option would be faster then the BE service and have onboard toilets. On the other hand BE might be a euro or two cheaper if you buy a ticket from Belfast to Galway [2].

The bus will take about 5 hours, versus between 6:10 and 6:30 by train.

[1] Easy change at Dublin Airport versus having to get the Luas or Dublin Bus from Connolly to Hueston.

[2] I'm not sure this is actually true, it isn't possible to book Belfast to Galway online, you would have to call and ask, I think you might end up being forced to buy two separate tickets anyway, in which case you are better off taking CityLink/Gobus for their faster service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's also Aircoach busses from Belfast to Dublin,
    timetabled same as the train, cheaper than the train and unlikely to be delayed with "security delays" or coach transfers.

If you left Belfast at 10:30, you'ld be in Glaway at 15:45 with an Aircoach/Gobus combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

There's also Aircoach busses from Belfast to Dublin,
    timetabled same as the train, cheaper than the train and unlikely to be delayed with "security delays" or coach transfers.

If you left Belfast at 10:30, you'ld be in Glaway at 15:45 with an Aircoach/Gobus combination.

Wasn't aware Aircoach had resumed their Belfast - Dublin service, cheers!

For Dublin - Galway another alternative to GoBus is Citylink.

Thanks everyone - very helpful.

Advertisement