Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduation 2012

• 15-08-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, am new to the boards.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether TCD offer an option to graduate in absentia so to speak. It seems to cost a lot to graduate (€114, before capes have to be hired and tuxes hired too) and I'd be as happy to just collect my scroll or have it posted to me without any pomp or ceremony.

But I don't seem to see any option on the form for this. It just seems unfair to have to pay so much (I've paid fees for the past four years, as a mature student, and to have to pay to graduate just stings a little after all the expense I've already undertaken).

Does anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

You can get it in absentia. There is a box to tick on the form.
    You need a written reason tho, and it has to be good (not just 'I don't want to')

2eaqfm9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Whether or not you attend the ceremony, you will still have to pay the commencement fee before they will give you the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackfire

Thanks to both of you for replying :-).

Am a bit annoyed at the cost. And potentially having to come up with a good excuse to skip the ceremony and get the degree that I've earned and payed for over the past four years. It's my second degree (hence my paying fees this time) and I didn't have to pay for my first graduation.

Friends in NUIM don't have to pay to graduate either.

Just have to suck it up I suppose - it's just left a bad taste in my mouth at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

The only people I know of who were permitted to graduate in abstentia were both in Asia at the time, I guess the 'good reason' is strictly enforced!

I completely agree that it is very unfair to have to fork out to graduate, even in absence; this is something that has been complained about for years in Trinity.

I also see your point about the expense of gowns etc., but since you're paying the 114 euro anyway would you go just to enjoy the experience and celebrate your achievement? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

When i filled out that form i choose to graduate in absentia and had the box ticked and they were fine I didnt need any letter to explain anything. You still have to pay the graduation fee anyway if you opt for this. ONce you pay them they wont have any issues :)

I ended up going to my graduation as the reason I couldnt go fell through. Its well worth the money as its a good day for you and your family and a great way to end the 4 years hard work. So if ya can go you should go. Theres a wine reception afterwards so just drink 114 euros worth of wine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Jackfire

Thanks everyone, for all the replies.

I'm glad to hear at least that I'm not the first person to complain about it, or find it a bit cheeky!

You're right, the best thing now is just to enjoy it. And as jd83 says, make damn sure both myself and my parents make the money back by downing copious amounts of free wine :D.

Advertisement