Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Gift for GodDaughter

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

So I have been honored to be asked to stand for my new niece Emily.

The christening is in a month and I have no idea on a gift, typical bloke!!

I want something special and unique but as I am an intern and not currently earning I cant afford much(i will make it up to her ten fold in later yrs as I will be the cool uncle)

Any suggestions welcome

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Very little we can specifically advise you on what would be special or unique without knowing you or your niece's parents tbh.

Some common gifts would be prize bonds, savings bonds, cash, teddies, engraved bracelets, cups etc.

I'd try find something that would represent yourself and the parents' relationship e.g. local GAA shirt in the baby's size if ye play, a miniature surf board engraved with the baby's name and the date of the christening if ye're surfers, toy piano if ye're musical etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Well her father is an ardent Man Utd and Donegal GAA fan but I dont want to ruin her childhood just yet:p

However we are all from a well known surf town and I like to surf when I get the opportunity??

Was thinking one of those frames where I could put a pic of my sis, the bro in law and then in the middle my god daughter??

I also have a few pics of me holding her. Is it cool to put them in a frame for a christening or shoud I just include pics of her and mayne her folks??

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

A good and not that costly idea I came across recently was to get a load of the headline stories from the newspapers from the day she was born and get them all together into a photo frame, Ill try find the photo of the link I saw, it was lovely together with a cd of the number one single from the day and any other memories from that day, maybe a few photos of yourself and the parents from around the day, would be great to look back on them in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Years ago I was in a similar situation, I got a nice present from pebbletree.co.uk.

It was a small gift bag with 'wish' pebbles In it, you pick the wishes you want and the lady will write them on the stones, and in Irish On the back if u want, plus I got a personalized pebble too with the baby's name and date etc.

Maybe a bit soppy and airy fairy but I really liked them when they arrived.

fox_1973 wrote: »
    A good and not that costly idea I came across recently was to get a load of the headline stories from the newspapers from the day she was born and get them all together into a photo frame, Ill try find the photo of the link I saw, it was lovely together with a cd of the number one single from the day and any other memories from that day, maybe a few photos of yourself and the parents from around the day, would be great to look back on them in years to come

Great idea. As mentioned I am interning and it is in an advertising agency so I have several copies of all papers so getting that sorted would be handy. I just hope it was not a day full of bad news ha ha

thanks!!

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Years ago I was in a similar situation, I got a nice present from pebbletree.co.uk.

It was a small gift bag with 'wish' pebbles In it, you pick the wishes you want and the lady will write them on the stones, and in Irish On the back if u want, plus I got a personalized pebble too with the baby's name and date etc.

Maybe a bit soppy and airy fairy but I really liked them when they arrived.

I just looked up the website. What a great idea. I think as they are so cheap too that I will get these also. She can never have too many good wishes!!

A friend just suggested getting a box and utting a few things in there from now that she can open on her 18th birthday. I think it is a great idea also but have no idea what to put in? What could I put in that is relevent to now that when she opens it in 18yrs time she will think wow!!

Any suggestions??

Newspapers from the day she was born, no. 1 single from day she was born, full set of Euro coins in case they no longer exist in 18 years, the current Donegal jersey in a medium Ladies' size, a miniature bottle of wine or whiskey to signify her reaching her age of majority etc.

Then find some way to make the box more of a capsule? Maybe get a wooden chest and seal it with wax?

My own daughter's godfather's promise is that he'll teach her to surf once she's old enough to stand a board!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Newspapers from the day she was born, no. 1 single from day she was born, full set of Euro coins in case they no longer exist in 18 years, the current Donegal jersey in a medium Ladies' size, a miniature bottle of wine or whiskey to signify her reaching her age of majority etc.

Then find some way to make the box more of a capsule? Maybe get a wooden chest and seal it with wax?

My own daughter's godfather's promise is that he'll teach her to surf once she's old enough to stand a board!

Well I was going to use the headlines and make a collage for her but maybe this may suit better alongside all the other ideas.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Crikey, make sure the parents live in a big permanent house with a lot of spare storage for that stuff. I would not be impressed with a box I had to now store for 18 years. 4 or 5 years, sure, but 18? You'd have to lug it around from house to house.

It's the anti-hoarder in me coming out. Get something that doesn't have to be looked after for decades!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

http://www.prints4gifts.com/

some lovely ideas on above site, I got a print for my Godchild they loved it

pwurple wrote: »

Crikey, make sure the parents live in a big permanent house with a lot of spare storage for that stuff. I would not be impressed with a box I had to now store for 18 years. 4 or 5 years, sure, but 18? You'd have to lug it around from house to house.

It's the anti-hoarder in me coming out. Get something that doesn't have to be looked after for decades!

It's not going to be a shipping container ha ha!!

Was thinking one of those wooden wine boxes that fits about two bottles.

Ah c'mon, I'm all for de-cluttering the house but something the size of a shoebox that can be put in a high press / the attic for the guts of two decades? It's hardly a patch on most womens' shoe and handbag collections (now that's what I call clutter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Some of the ideas here are amazing. But if you don't have the time or want to keep them for her first birthday I have gotten this for my goddaughters and it's being incredibly well received. Also ticks the box of silver for christening. Just a thought

http://www.shopcookware.ie/vera-wang-baby-collection-silverplate-baby-music-box/044228004082pd.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah c'mon, I'm all for de-cluttering the house but something the size of a shoebox that can be put in a high press / the attic for the guts of two decades? It's hardly a patch on most womens' shoe and handbag collections (now that's what I call clutter!)

Oh jaysus, shoe clutter is just the worst! I have 4 pairs of shoes (1xwork, 1xheeled, 1xrunners, 1xwellies) and one single handbag. Thinking about putting a box in the attic for two decades to gather dust has me coming out in a cold sweat.

Please OP, get the kid something she can use in the next 5 years. You'll have plenty of chances to get her something before she's 18. besides, she's likely to be a pouty teenager who doesn't want to look at that stupid old person box by then anyway.

Oh jaysus, shoe clutter is just the worst! I have 4 pairs of shoes (1xwork, 1xheeled, 1xrunners, 1xwellies) and one single handbag.
    Can I PM you about hiring you to teach my other half such common sense? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

frag have a chat with the god mother or even the mother of baby to pick her brain. most women have great ideas plus there no point in both you getting the same thing for the godchild which could happen. as for gifts we got two which stand out . one was a sliver box where the first hair and tooth are stored. i think next do them. the other one we got was a silver scroll holder to put the baptism cert or even birth cert into. papers like these are for life. i know purplerock was delighted with these out of everything we got. again these are just two ideas.
    B.T.W. good luck and congrats on being a new godparent :D.

Advertisement