Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert '13

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Seeing all the Leaving Cert results coming out kinda got me to make this thread.
    September is looming now and 3rd year is getting closer.

I'm Just wondering how are people are preparing for next year. What are you studying if anything, and how are you studying.
    I want to do well next year so I wont be relying TOO much on grinds when it comes to 5th year and Leaving cert.

So are people doing any studying are you just leaving till christmas?:o

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess i better add on the subjects I'm studying:

English (HL)
    Irish(HL)
    Project Maths(HL)
    Geography(HL)
    History(HL)
    C.S.P.E(CL)
    Music(HL)
    T.G(HL)
    Art(HL)
    French(HL)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey, I'm doing my JC this year too :) For September and October I'm just going to revise over some of the 1st Year and 2nd Year stuff lightly and make sure I know them ok enough. I'll also be keeping up with my 3rd year stuff as I go along. From November foward, I think I'll start to study properly :D

I mostly just type out notes when I study and do exam questions after. I already bought my exam papers the other day. (Educate.ie have the 2012 ones already :)) They're so handy and probably the best idea for revision. I'm also making out a timetable for when I go back and that way I'll have a structure of what subjects I'll study and at what times!

Best of Luck! I'm sure we'll be chatting a lot more when throughout the year! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Seeing all the Leaving Cert results coming out kinda got me to make this thread.
    September is looming now and 3rd year is getting closer.

I'm Just wondering how are people are preparing for next year. What are you studying if anything, and how are you studying.
    I want to do well next year so I wont be relying TOO much on grinds when it comes to 5th year and Leaving cert.

So are people doing any studying are you just leaving till christmas?:o

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess i better add on the subjects I'm studying:

English (HL)
    Irish(HL)
    Project Maths(HL)
    Geography(HL)
    History(HL)
    C.S.P.E(CL)
    Music(HL)
    T.G(HL)
    Art(HL)
    In theory, all you need is to work your a** off for the 4 core subjects. If you get honours (C or better) in all of them, which is so easy to do, you'll be sorted. This is impractical so just work for every subject as much as you can and just do your best. I done the JC this year and it doesnt count for anything but the way i see it is that it is a good practice for the LC so dont throw this year away. dont go overboard with studying btw. work until the mocks then relax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP, are you not doing a European language?

For the Junior Cert., listen properly in class, do your homework to the absolute best of your ability and never leave a classroom not understanding something.

You will do better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Classical Kid

spurious wrote: »

For the Junior Cert., listen properly in class, do your homework to the absolute best of your ability and never leave a classroom not understanding something.

Oh yeah I am, must've forgot, I'll edit it in, it's French higher

Are the 2012 exam papers on sale already, just wondering cause I thought they don't come in till about end of September.

If there are any JC '12 students, how did higher project Maths go, was the paper different that much to regular Maths?

Also I'd be interested to know what subjects everybody's doing next year :)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

After doing my Junior Cert, this is honestly the best advice. I know it's cliché but it's true. You'd be surprised how much listening in class can help you with shorter questions.

• Advertisement

Are the 2012 exam papers on sale already, just wondering cause I thought they don't come in till about end of September.

If there are any JC '12 students, how did higher project Maths go, was the paper different that much to regular Maths?

Thanks

Educate.ie, have their 2012 exam papers availible now. Honestly, they have the cheapest exam papers. All language's are €3.50 and every other subject is only €2.50 per exam paper! Whereas Folens is €4.00 per exam paper and EDCO are generally dearer.

Paper One's the same for us 2013 students. It's just Paper Two that's changed and it's not even that different tbh! I think these two exam papers are from the pilot schools that did Project Maths 2012 http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/JC003ALP130EV.pdf
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/JC003ALP230EV.pdf
    and I think they're going to be similar to what we're doing but I could be wrong!

I'm doing 12 subjects this year!
    • English (H)
    • Irish (H)
    • Maths (H)
    • French (H)
    • Religion (H)
    • CSPE (C)
    • Science (H)
    • Geography (H)
    • History (H)
    • TG (H)
    • Woodwork (H)
    • Business (H)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Bazinga_N wrote: »

Thanks

Educate.ie, have their 2012 exam papers availible now. Honestly, they have the cheapest exam papers. All language's are €3.50 and every other subject is only €2.50 per exam paper! Whereas Folens is €4.00 per exam paper and EDCO are generally dearer.

Paper One's the same for us 2013 students. It's just Paper Two that's changed and it's not even that different tbh! I think these two exam papers are from the pilot schools that did Project Maths 2012 http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2012/JC003ALP130EV.pdf
    and I think they're going to be similar to what we're doing but I could be wrong!

• English (H)
    • Irish (H)
    • Maths (H)
    • French (H)
    • Religion (H)
    • CSPE (C)
    • Science (H)
    • Geography (H)
    • History (H)
    • TG (H)
    • Woodwork (H)
    • Business (H)

Not to be annoying bit don't buy exam papers until your teachers tell you. They may want you to get certain ones, buy in bulk for a cheaper price, add to the weight in your bag going back and could also be stolen, unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭II 2FAST2C II

Hi i have studied so far History 1st and 2nd year
    Business 1st 2nd and 3rd year i studied everything apart from club accounts and final accounts which i plan to learn with the teacher
    And then September i plan to do Science and Geography 1st and 2nd year and keep revising over history and business and some 3rd year history as my teacher and class goes and then on november and december i plan to to have all 1st 2nd 3rd year history,business,science,geography and half of maths course done
    And then in some days of december and january 1 month b4 our pres i planned to study maths and italian and some of english
    And just keep revising over all the subjects and enjoy the rest of the months in ease
    The only 2 subjects i am not going to study is cspe and german untill june 1 week b4 the jc :)

English H
    Maths H
    Science H
    Geography H
    Business H
    Wood H
    Metal H
    Italian H
    German H
    Cspe H

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭II 2FAST2C II

• English (H)
    • Irish (H)
    • Maths (H)
    • French (H)
    • Religion (H)
    • CSPE (C)
    • Science (H)
    • Geography (H)
    • History (H)
    • TG (H)
    • Woodwork (H)
    • Business (H)

Hi i went on edco and saw no exam papers for sale it just says coming soon

Hi i went on edco and saw no exam papers for sale it just says coming soon

Yeah, EDCO are the only ones that don't have them out yet. Educate.ie and Folens do though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ButtonBox

I've just done the Junior, but just a tiny bit of advice. :D
    Don't be too concerned with studying very hard from the beginning of the year. Obviously you have to revise for the little weekly tests that your teachers give you, and you need to definitely keep up your homework, but if you get completely wrapped up in full-on studying now, come May/June you'll be exhausted.
    Study, yes, but don't get really wrapped up in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Classical Kid

Yeah, EDCO are the only ones that don't have them out yet. Educate.ie and Folens do though :)

Are they selling the actual book of exam papers already, because you can download the seperate years for free from examinations.ie

P.S on another note, Yesterday, i had an idea for a desktop wallpaper for next year, might keep me sane after christmas :L

You guys might like to use it :)

Are they selling the actual book of exam papers already, because you can download the seperate years for free from examinations.ie

P.S on another note, Yesterday, i had an idea for a desktop wallpaper for next year, might keep me sane after christmas :L

You guys might like to use it :)

They're the actual books of exam papers :L

That's a brilliant wallpaper :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WhitlockLover

Thanks

Hi,
    We didnt do project maths, it was just normal! The project maths exams start this year! :)
    Oh! And im doing ty so i dont have to decide for another year!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For Junior Cert.,
    • LISTEN PROPERLY in class
    • Do your homework to your best standard
    • Don't miss days
    • Ask questions if you do not understand something.

Our school's after stepping up a game this year. They taliored our journals so that we need to write in the learning objective of every class (so we're not sitting there, not having a clue what's happening), and the literacy and numeracy skills we learned in that class too. Have to say, I'm quite pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benko2012

I really need Edco exam paper codes for 2012 any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

as a former JC student I'd just like to add that I didn't start studying until after I had completed my mocks. my advice would be to start studying before then, preferably after your christmas exams.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Our school's after stepping up a game this year. They taliored our journals so that we need to write in the learning objective of every class (so we're not sitting there, not having a clue what's happening), and the literacy and numeracy skills we learned in that class too. Have to say, I'm quite pleasantly surprised!

that sounds brilliant, in all honesty. also, for those who are wondering about maths (I did OL myself, got an A) I advise doing plenty of past-exam papers. this is quite obvious, I feel, but I'd just like to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DrCool

Ah lads I haven't even started yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement