Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

• 15-08-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi does anyone know the best place in Limerick City to get wisdom teeth out? I think I need to get all four of them taken out so I dont want to pay through the roof if I can help it! I dont have any sort of health insurance to help me out :(The prices seem to vary everywhere i've looked so I'm not even sure what's "normal". What do most people pay?
    Is it possible to get all four done together or is it usually two at a time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

user45 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know the best place in Limerick City to get wisdom teeth out? I think I need to get all four of them taken out so I dont want to pay through the roof if I can help it! I dont have any sort of health insurance to help me out :(The prices seem to vary everywhere i've looked so I'm not even sure what's "normal". What do most people pay?
    Is it possible to get all four done together or is it usually two at a time?

I've to get the same thing done. I was told however I'd need to go to Barringtons and go under general (out in Ennis) however apparently you can get it done in a clinic too; check the dental forum for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

The Maxilofacial Surgeon in Barringtons is Mr. Michael Gilbride. I've had work done by him before and I'd certainly recommend him, a nice and very competent surgeon.

I had my consult someone else, a female doctor; can't recall her name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Have you been told you need all 4 out under GA? Are they impacted?

If they are impacted then Mr Gilbride is fabulous - he's a lovely man who very much puts you at your ease and is second to none (he's operated two of my kids, one privately for wisdom teeth, the other publicly for an A&E event). AFAIK you can go through the public system for your wisdom teeth as well (he has both private and public practices) but it will take forever and you need to have reason as to why you need a GA.

Otherwise, if the teeth aren't hugely problematic, you can get them done in a standard dental surgery with or without sedation. Some dentists will offer you IV sedation (e.g. Rob Wallace) if necessary.

I've had three out under local at different times (3 different dentists!!). I'm a nervous patient at the best of times and had the last one out under a haze of xanax. But they were more than manageable. I went out to a function a few hours after one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 user45

The Snipe wrote: »
    I've to get the same thing done. I was told however I'd need to go to Barringtons and go under general (out in Ennis) however apparently you can get it done in a clinic too; check the dental forum for more info.

My friend was seen in Barringtons and was sent to Ennis but she was covered under VHI. Apparently if you do it this way without insurance it can cost a few grand.....

Bought that GrabOne deal for the scale and polish for the Old Quater, this deal includes two xrays if required so they might take xrays for my wisdom teeth if I tell them they've been bothering me. Hopefully they will be able to tell me what my options are.

As far as im aware depending what position your wisdom teeth are in will depend on the procedure and the cost. There are simple extractions and surgical extractions. In some cases the surgical extraction can be done by a dentist but if they're not able i'm guessing you'll have to go to somewhere like Ennis to have them removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 user45

Bicycle wrote: »
    Have you been told you need all 4 out under GA? Are they impacted?

They're partially impacted. I went through a lot of pain when they were coming up becase my mouth is small but the majority all four are through the gum so I might not need a GA. I have braces so I want to get my wisdom teeth out because I dont want them to undo the work of the brace. Hopefully the dentist on Sat can tell me more

user45 wrote: »
    My friend was seen in Barringtons and was sent to Ennis but she was covered under VHI. Apparently if you do it this way without insurance it can cost a few grand.....

Bought that GrabOne deal for the scale and polish for the Old Quater, this deal includes two xrays if required so they might take xrays for my wisdom teeth if I tell them they've been bothering me. Hopefully they will be able to tell me what my options are.

As far as im aware depending what position your wisdom teeth are in will depend on the procedure and the cost. There are simple extractions and surgical extractions. In some cases the surgical extraction can be done by a dentist but if they're not able i'm guessing you'll have to go to somewhere like Ennis to have them removed
    Mine are quite effed. Been told everything - but am waiting since December with no more contact from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im undergoing treatment at Old Quarter Dentistry, i find them excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

If you're not under any time restraints or in pain then your dentist can send a referral to the regional to get them out there under general under the public list. It's foc but you will be waiting about 12 months. Otherwise either Rob wallace for sedation ,barringtons for general (cost my friend €600 i think for the op to get all 4 out) or one at a time at your own dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Got them done one at a time under local anastetic paid for br PRSI (when it actually meant something and not just another tax).
    Half way through one of the extractions, there was the dentist with his knee in my chest dragging out the tooth and he decided to tell me that he knew a dentist who had somebody die in the chair whilst getting wisdom tooth pulled. Couldn't say anything as both his and the nurses hand were buried half way down my throat.

Apparently happens a lot :).

Ok last line might have been a lie.....

Do you want the guys number?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mavv

I pulled out one few months ago at Dental Care, Old Dublin Rd. They charge €200 for a wisdom tooth, I paid €180 cause it was easy to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I got my wisdom tooth pulled last week from my top jaw, wasnt at all painful barely felt it if Im honest when compared to a normal tooth I had pulled the week before.

I only paid €70 for the extraction so not sure why anyone has been paying €180 for such a job.Would highly recommend Tommy of Abbey Dentists located across from the Cresent SHOPPING CENTRE.

Abbey Dentistry
    061-305653

Advertisement