Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating questions

• 15-08-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Do you need to do every subject again? or can you just repeat the ones you are not happy with?

What are the best schools for repeating in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

From what I remember. You can do whatever subjects if you. So if you failed maths for example you can just repeat that one in order to get the pass.
    But you can't bring points from over. So if you got 350 this year for example, and only did one subject next year, and did better, you couldn't add those points together.

And I don't know about the schools part. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anonymous999

From what I remember. You can do whatever subjects if you. So if you failed maths for example you can just repeat that one in order to get the pass.
    But you can't bring points from over. So if you got 350 this year for example, and only did one subject next year, and did better, you couldn't add those points together.

And I don't know about the schools part. Sorry.

thanks very much for your answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Do you need to do every subject again? or can you just repeat the ones you are not happy with?

No you don't. You can drop subjects and take up new ones if you want. When I did my leaving first I did 8 subjects, 3 OL and 5 HL. I dropped 4 subjects and picked up 2 new ones when I repeated. When I repeated I dropped maths, Irish and French because I sat them at OL, wasn't very good at them and I had met the requirement to pass those subjects to get into the course I wanted in UCC. I dropped Biology as well because I hated it.

If you you have enough points for your course but you needed to get a higher level C3 in maths or something for a course but you got a D1, you can just repeat maths or whatever subject you needed a specific grade in on its own to meet the course specific requirement.

As someone already pointed out you can only use points from one sitting of the Leaving Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

The Institute in Dublin is supposed to be really good. I'm not from Dublin though so don't know of any others. Good luck repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Rathmines college have a decent repeat programme. I went up by over a 100 points so I definatley recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Do you need to do every subject again?
    sorry?
    or can you just repeat the ones you are not happy with?
    pardon?
    come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Louisa2

You are required to sit a minimum of 6 subjects again however if you have received the required grade for matriculation in a subject, lets say you you need a C1 in honours irish for primary school teaching and obtained this, then you do not have to sit this again. You can choose to sit the subjects that you find easiest and will get most points from.

This goes for every course except medicine. If you want to do medicine you must sit a minimum of 6 subjects again and these must include english, irish, maths and two science subjects.

The best way to choose what subjects you will/ will not repeat is to contact to university that your desired course is in and ask them what you need in terms of matriculation and anything else to get into the course. Get this in writing.

Just something to take into consideration if you are looking at applying to UCAS. A lot of English/ Scottish colleges will not accept repeat leaving certs!

Good luck with the repeating and if you want to ask any questions at all about it feel free to PM me!

Advertisement