Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pure Necessity when we were poor, but an extravagance now

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Greenduck wrote: »
    Even though we are still in 'recession' I look back on the 80's as being the time when people were the poorest.

Like then we didnt have things like Sky Digital, Laptops, Computers, Broadband, huge TVs, 4 or 5 games consoles etc. These items are probably common in most households today and its the norm to have them aswell.

I was lucky if we rented a video on a saturday night and got a pack of Smarties! I still dont think we are as badly off as we were in previous years and we probably take a lot things for granted still.

Ugh speak for yourself, no house I live in will ever have 4 or 5 consoles. I fail to see the need for more than one tv either or why they have to be size of the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Did Sea Filly just close her account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Shryke wrote: »
    Did Sea Filly just close her account?

Yes, wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ha, I remember those Deirdre glasses well

If you were paying you could have any frame you wanted but if the State was paying it was the massive rimmed frames for you
    Cheap, ugly godawful things

Bad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »
    La de da.
    It's a pub...

Actually, in defence of their burger, I think it's one of the better burgers in Galway.

Nevber tried the battered chicken, even the idea of battered chicken seem extremely wrong to me, never mind putting saffron into it to try ponce it up.

yes, Seaneh, I know it's a pub, and its a good job its a pub too, because their food wouldn't keep them afloat thats for sure. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kitchen Roll was met with whispers and viewed as sign of a money squanderer.

People still think that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Prominently rimmed Deirdre from Coronation Street

I read the first bit & lol'd

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is the food rubbish or is it me ? Everything on a plate has a jacket and overcoat and blouses like a prostitute wears .New potatoes and chips needed nothing on them in the 1950s and i remember delicious apples that had nice smells off them .
    Tomatoes are bags of water . I can remember the taste of a tomatoe from 1955 (deja vous flash backs i have from time to time) and only for Fatoil Dairy salt sugar or spices many foods would'nt sell .There is still nice food .Unfrozen Corn on the Cob from the US and honeydew melon and apricots from the correct source but a lot of our food is there in appearance only .What do yous think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

ah duffle coats.

everyone had one - they were bought for you to last you for the next FIVE YEARS. First couple of years you were half killed from the weight of it, until you "grew" into it. Worn day in day out, year in year out and nobody batted an eyelid. :P

Don't forget that the last 12 months it was too small for you, it only went down to about 2 inches above your wrists, and it was so tight that you couldn't put your arms by your sides, they stuck out and you looked like an angry Chimpanzee.

Lord Anthony Parkas were a common alternative too, only the well off could afford german army suplus parkas. :)

paddyandy wrote: »
    Is the food rubbish or is it me ? Everything on a plate has a jacket and overcoat and blouses like a prostitute wears .New potatoes and chips needed nothing on them in the 1950s and i remember delicious apples that had nice smells off them .
    Tomatoes are bags of water . I can remember the taste of a tomatoe from 1955 (deja vous flash backs i have from time to time) and only for Fatoil Dairy salt sugar or spices many foods would'nt sell .There is still nice food .Unfrozen Corn on the Cob from the US and honeydew melon and apricots from the correct source but a lot of our food is there in appearance only .What do yous think ?

Couldn't agree more with you, food tastes like bland sh1te these days. If you want good tomatos grow your own, get a small greenhouse or poly tunnnel and you can have them 12 months of the year.

• Advertisement

paddyandy wrote: »

i completely agree - I can taste the tomatoes also from years ago and my mouth starts watering - can't get anything resembling that taste since.

Fresh corn on the cob is to die for - this vacuum packed quartered corn is horrible.

and as for the fruit - I do have to say tho that the Irish strawberries and new spuds, when you get them at the right time, from the side of the road are amazing. Have to run out and get strawberries for lunch now. My mouth is sticking together thinking of them.

bijapos wrote: »
    Don't forget that the last 12 months it was too small for you, it only went down to about 2 inches above your wrists, and it was so tight that you couldn't put your arms by your sides, they stuck out and you looked like an angry Chimpanzee.

Lord Anthony Parkas were a common alternative too, only the well off could afford german army suplus parkas. :)

Couldn't agree more with you, food tastes like bland sh1te these days. If you want good tomatos grow your own, get a small greenhouse or poly tunnnel and you can have them 12 months of the year.

hilariouis, and too true.
    and then once you couldn't fit it anymore it was passed down to the next in line for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bijapos wrote: »
    only the well off could afford german army suplus parkas. :)

When I was going to secondary school,everyone wore German Army surplus.Cheap & warm plus you could take out the lining for the warm weather.Plus there was competition as to who could get one with the coolest name badge on it.

Saw some for sale online now & they are nearly €100:eek: Damn emo kids & their stupid fashion sense.We wore 'em cos they were practical & better than duffle coats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

ah duffle coats.

everyone had one - they were bought for you to last you for the next FIVE YEARS. First couple of years you were half killed from the weight of it, until you "grew" into it. Worn day in day out, year in year out and nobody batted an eyelid. :P

And do you remember spending 10 minutes trying to unfasten the bastard things when your hands were frozen stiff numb from the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Lobster. Used to be common prison food in some parts of the world before ww2. Now you would drop 20 plus euro if you ate one in a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Unpasturised milk, used to take it from the tank as a child because we went through so much, even though my gran was genuinely scared it would give us tb, now thanks to the "raw food" fad it's being sold for a fortune, don't ask me how it's legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

ah duffle coats.

And do you remember spending 10 minutes trying to unfasten the bastard things when your hands were frozen stiff numb from the cold.

Do you remember the smell of them when they got wet?

Like a mix of wet dog, badger and dead cat!

Advertisement