Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU question

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

When looking at a new gpu do you have to take any notice of 2GB v 3GB when deciding which one to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're running eyefinity(multiple monitors) yes, otherwise 2 is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

only single monitor 1920 x 1080, i was thinking more down the line if a new game was released a few months after buying a 2gb would it be possible the 2gb would struggle compared to a 3gb? or wont the stage where you need a 3gb come any time soon?

I'm not that up on the tech but AFAIK most games atm wont even use 1GB on a HD monitor.

The clocks and cooler are what you should be focused on.

ok thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

ED E wrote: »
    If you're running eyefinity(multiple monitors) yes, otherwise 2 is plenty.

Nope. Eyefinity works fine with 3x30" monitors and 2gb card.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nope. Eyefinity works fine with 3x30" monitors and 2gb card.

Wasnt saying you'd need it, just that you might get use of 3GB. Single panel you never, as far as I can see, will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Are you talking about the 660TI? That's being released in 2GB and 3GB versions.

If you are, get the 2GB one.

Eboggles wrote: »
    Are you talking about the 660TI? That's being released in 2GB and 3GB versions.

If you are, get the 2GB one.

i was talking about 670, 680, 7970 & 660ti, ive seen alot of posts saying which is better some of which are biased posts ofc (not necessarily on boards, i read other forums). i was just wondering if i should let the 2 v 3 influence my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

pcadvice wrote: »
    i was talking about 670, 680, 7970 & 660ti, ive seen alot of posts saying which is better some of which are biased posts ofc (not necessarily on boards, i read other forums). i was just wondering if i should let the 2 v 3 influence my decision.

Don't judge a card by it's vRAM, look up some reviews of the card playing the games you play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The higher the resolution the more RAM you need. You can't look at screen size either. Someone with 3 x 60' plasma screens will be running in a lower res than someone with 3x27' 1440p monitors. You also have to look at how quickly the memory can communicate with the card. That's going to be the killer of the 660ti in higher resolutions.

For the future - it's unlikely game will start using massive textures (think of them as wallpaper around the objects in games) as the consoles can handle it. There are however 'mods' in some PC games that use massive textures. If you're not into this skull-dugery don't worry about 2Gb or 3Gn for 1080p gaming.

In simple terms ATI 79XX series are better for high res and multi monitor gaming, the nvidia 670 is better for 1080p gaming. Thats out of the box - once you over clock there is little to choose between them which is why I went for a 7950 and will clock the balls off it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement