Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data for 2011

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

How would i go about finding rainfall data for Galway City in 2011. I am looking to do a comparison versus Cork City for the same period. It appears there is no station in Galway anymore?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NUIG has one on the roof somewhere. This yoke.

http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

Weatherstation.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

RedorDead wrote: »
    How would i go about finding rainfall data for Galway City in 2011. I am looking to do a comparison versus Cork City for the same period. It appears there is no station in Galway anymore?

Thanks!

You can find such data on the met eireann bulletins which give a comprehensive list of monthly data from most of the climatology stations although I think Mr. Sponge mentioned before that the Galway station closed down a while back and replaced it with 'that yoke' :D on the Concourse building.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-bulletin.asp

Monthly rainfall totals (in mm) for 2011 taken from the above for both Cork Apt and Newcastle:

217212.PNG

Is that an official Climatology or Rain Guage only station (run by the College ) DE or is it unofficial?? I know there was an official climatology station in Galway...it was where the entrance to UCHG in Newcastle is years ago and it was then out where the Garda Commissioner is to go near GMIT for some time as that building was a Met É 'College' at one point in the 1980s.

They had 600 rain guagers to train after all. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is that an official Climatology or Rain Guage only station (run by the College ) DE or is it unofficial?? I know there was an official climatology station in Galway...it was where the entrance to UCHG in Newcastle is years ago and it was then out where the Garda Commissioner is to go near GMIT for some time as that building was a Met É 'College' at one point in the 1980s.

They had 600 rain guagers to train after all. :)

I have no idea Sponge if it is official or not but I have seen data from it (I assume it from the NUIG station at least) being quoted on the met forecasts on RTE recently. Just last week Evelyn Cusack mentioned that Galway reached 20c, which is what the NUIG station showed as being the max that day.

'Fionagus'' told me last year that the last location of the official station was somewhere right beside the Corrib down in a hollow and seemed to record lower temperatures at night as a result. She gave me a map of its exact location but cannot find it right now my laptop. I don't think it is coincidence that the met eireann temp anom maps on the bulletins over the last couple of years show the Galway City/NE Galway region being anomalous cooler in terms of mean monthly temps when compared to the rest of the country. I wager that this was down to that fairly recent move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

RedorDead wrote: »

Thanks!

The official Climatological station at NUIG closed in January 2012 so full data for 2011 is available from the former operator and Met Eireann. If you PM me I will give you his contact details.

The station currently in opperation at NUIG is owned & operated by a member of staff and has no connection with Met Eireann. It's location makes the data unreliable as Octo pointed out somewhere On this forum and in any case it wasn't in operation for all of 2011 Afik

I am happy to give you the rain data from my station in Galway city for 2011. It is located approx 200m from the ex official NUIG climatological station & correlates reasonably closely with the data from there.
    It's the one Evelyn mentioned re temps in Galway Afik - she occasionally refers to IWN stations in her reports

• Advertisement

Lumi wrote: »
    The station currently in opperation at NUIG is owned & operated by a member of staff and has no connection with Met Eireann. It's location makes the data unreliable as Octo pointed out somewhere On this forum and in any case it wasn't in operation for all of 2011 Afik

Could be wrong but I think Octo only referred to the wind data being prone to error due to its flat roof location but don't quote me on that. Wasn't sure whether the NUIG station was official or not but it seems accurate enough both regarding rain totals and temp, which often seems quite conservative on a warm day given its urban location but how does it compare with your own official readings on any given day?

Could be wrong but I think Octo only referred to the wind data being prone to error due to its flat roof location but don't quote me on that.

The towers sticking up randomly would not help. Mind you the one I remember at the hospital was also sheltered to the west by the Nurses Home building ( the 40s/50s era one near the road) .

Advertisement