Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low-carb birthday cake?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, not sure where to put it: My friend is on the Dukan diet, i.e. very low carbs. It's her birthday today. I'd love to get her a cake that she'll be able to eat more or less guilt-free. Any suggestions?

(x-posted in the Diet forum!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So many views and no answers I think you could be cheeky and just tell her it's low carb..she'll never know lol. You could try a cake that uses ground almonds but anything you do will generally have a lot of sugar or the like it's really butter fats that put on the weight the most I don't believe in all that low carb stuff you could maybe get a recipe that uses half white half wholemeal flour but it's her birthday what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

Generally cake is made with the main ingredients being flour or sugar which both contain carbs. You can't win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

The only thing that springs to mind is maybe a flourless chocolate cake, there was a recipe posted for it here a while back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

shinikins wrote: »
    The only thing that springs to mind is maybe a flourless chocolate cake, there was a recipe posted for it here a while back.

I was thinking that too, but I don't think it would actually be low carb with all the chocolate and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thx for the replies, all; unfortunately we decided getting a cake wasn't feasible, so bought her a load of sambucas in the pub instead ;)

(Betcha we'll now find out there's carbs in sambuca... but too late for that now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thx for the replies, all; unfortunately we decided getting a cake wasn't feasible, so bought her a load of sambucas in the pub instead ;)

(Betcha we'll now find out there's carbs in sambuca... but too late for that now! ;)

There is, about 11g of carbs per shot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Bloody hell... really should've just bought a damn cake! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Those figures may not be completely accurate, its just what google throws up. Makes sense though since Sambuca is basically boozy sugar syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Bloody hell... really should've just bought a damn cake! ;)

There is no such thing as a low carb cake. Even ones that claim to be lower carb would be only a few percent lower.

I hope she ate loads of carb heavy food and carb heavy drinks and enjoyed her birthday. Its only one day a year and life is for living......

Advertisement