Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Childminders and Teachers (advice needed)

• 15-08-2012 12:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi dont know if this is the right area to post this but it's a start. My wife and I have a five month old baby daughter. Im a teacher (secondary) My wife is going back to work in October. We have decided to use a child-minder for the first year.
    A number of questions
    What is the going rate?
    Do people pay in cash?
    What about the holidays. I want to avoid paying over the summer? Is this possible? I presume I would have to pay over Easter/x mas etc?

Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Should this not be in the Parenting forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Lockedout wrote: »
    Hi dont know if this is the right area to post this but it's a start. My wife and I have a five month old baby daughter. Im a teacher (secondary) My wife is going back to work in October. We have decided to use a child-minder for the first year.
    A number of questions
    What is the going rate?
    Do people pay in cash?
    What about the holidays. I want to avoid paying over the summer? Is this possible? I presume I would have to pay over Easter/x mas etc?

Any advice is welcome!

The going rate depends on were your living.
    You can pay in cash but safer to pay into bank.
    They can ask to be paid for the holidays etc.

Your better going to this site for help.
    http://www.childminding.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Didnt know there was one-thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's usually only teachers who have this specific problem and you might get some "teacher complaining about having to pay over the holidays" replies and on this thread you might get more specific replies.

OP, when you say childminder, I presume you mean leaving the child to someone's house.

The going rate depends on the area. Dublin and the cities are a lot dearer than the country. Is the childminder registered with the HSE and for tax? If so, you'll probably have to pay a retainer and/or holiday pay. In my case, she isn't, so it's cash in hand and no pay for the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Some of my friends have childminders who are happy enough not to be paid over the summer. They are busier with their own children off school then and are happy enough with the arrangement. It suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Childminders can earn up to €15,000 annually tax free. Registering with the HSE does not have a tax implication. This is all based on the childminder minding the baby in the childminders home. If the baby is minded in their house then the childminder is employed and PRSI and holiday pay etc must be paid.

I have seen childminders advertise their services for term time only.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The going rate depends on your location.
    Normally you pay by standing order.
    You can come to an arrangement with them about holidays.
    Some pay a smaller amount by 12 others just pay for the 9 months they have the kids.

Childminders can ear 15k tax free pa minding in their own home so usually declare it and pay theirr prsi.

Make sure the childminder is insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I pay my childminder for all the other holidays but not for the Summer- most of my colleagues have the same arrangement with their childminders.

Advertisement