Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dog whining

• 15-08-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, I have a terrier x who is 1yr and 3months. We are having a bit of a problem with her whining when we leave the room which im presuming is separation anxiety.

I have tried leaving the room for 5 minutes, with a treat given to her if she stays quiet but nothing is working at all. The most she is left on her own for is 2 hours but it's just the initial first 15 minutes she cries and then is quiet for the rest of the day.
    I had to ask my neighbour if he can hear her and he told me this.

She is an outdoor and indoor dog. She has her routine in the mornings she is let outside, and taken in when I get back two hours later and let back out the back again. She is always indoors at night. The thing is she loves the back garden, she has all her toys there but she expects me to stay there the whole time with her which obviously isn't an option. Can anyone give advice?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its nothing out of the normal to be honest, just a mild touch of SA. my girl will cry for a few minutes even if left with someone else. 15 minutes is nothin. just ignore it, she'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ignore it. Responding to the whining only acts as a reward to the dog, who will continue to do it as it gets a result.

Advertisement