Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.P.C

Options
  • 15-08-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there anyone able to tell me about upc, the prices seem to be much better then sky but i've a feeling that its all too good to be true. cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Depends on what you want. Do you want a bundle such as Broadband, TV and Phone or are you just after individual services?
    Best to check out www.upc.ie and it give you prices for bundles and for separate services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Not sure about Sky prices but I've got HD TV, phone and BB all thru UPC. Can't fault them these days. If you need em (rarely) they are there (which was not always the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dshamrock2000

I wasnt a fan of them at all when they were ntl, but I cant fault them now, I have phone, broadband and tv with them and havent had an issue since they became Upc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

In fairness they are good for their price! Pay just under €60 for 25mb Broadband, HD Multiroom with highest TV package! Cant really go wrong! Same with Sky/Eircom would have me in the 100s! BB is streaming heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DavidMolloy

Cheers folks, il be giving them a call tomorrow and see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Cheaper than eircom for faster and better broadband and their TV is everything you need! Only problem is phone offers aren't great.

On another note I pay for 25mb broadband and regularly get about 35mb - 40mb

Bobby, I think they recently upgraded all 25Mb customers to 30Mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Bobby, I think they recently upgraded all 25Mb customers to 30Mb...

Didnt get any letter. Getting up to 40 anyway...

I'd complain if I were you ;-)
    You using a bband speed checker to ascertain your speeds? Are you wired or wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

You using a bband speed checker to ascertain your speeds? Are you wired or wireless?

Yes shocking I feel the need to complain also this is my 100Mb pack and I never got a letter either.

2121827814.png

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »

Yes shocking I feel the need to complain also this is my 100Mb pack and I never got a letter either.

2121827814.png
    Doubley shocking. The cheek of UPC, giving you all that lovely BBand and getting no letter. Whatever next I ask you?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

To answer your question

UPC do not offer all services in all areas. Even areas that have a particular service might not have full service. You need to give them your address and see. MMDS TV is not the same as ordinary cable and in some cases cannot record. Internet may or may not be available and it's speed may be slow depending on the area. Phone may or may not be available. On demand may or may not be available.

Having used both Sky, UPC and free Saorview Freesat channels I can say the UPC digital box is not a patch on the Sky+ box. If you are used to Sky+ then going for UPC TV is definitely a downgrade but the UPC prices can be better values especially for multiroom and combined services.

You can haggle with both Sky and UPC but not during your first years contract. Before you leave Sky see what they offer you to stay.

FreeSat and Saorview is good if not into sports nor premium channels and stuck for cash. No monthly bills is great.

zg3409 wrote: »
    To answer your question

UPC do not offer all services in all areas. Even areas that have a particular service might not have full service. You need to give them your address and see. MMDS TV is not the same as ordinary cable and in some cases cannot record. Internet may or may not be available and it's speed may be slow depending on the area. Phone may or may not be available. On demand may or may not be available.

Having used both Sky, UPC and free Saorview Freesat channels I can say the UPC digital box is not a patch on the Sky+ box. If you are used to Sky+ then going for UPC TV is definitely a downgrade but the UPC prices can be better values especially for multiroom and combined services.

You can haggle with both Sky and UPC but not during your first years contract. Before you leave Sky see what they offer you to stay.

FreeSat and Saorview is good if not into sports nor premium channels and stuck for cash. No monthly bills is great.
    I wouln't worry about the UPC box too much. The Horizon box (basically UPC's Tivo) coming probably in Q1 2013. It's being rolled out in the Netherlands in a few weeks. This new box will address all the issues a lot of people have with the current STB and it looks like it'll be more than a match if not better than the current Sky STB. Patience, young grasshopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

I wonder how much extra they will charge for the Horizon box. According to this Irish Times article 'the cost for consumer would only be a few extral euro.'

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I wonder how much extra they will charge for the Horizon box. According to this Irish Times article 'the cost for consumer would only be a few extral euro.'

They hope to launch Horizon in late Q1 more likely Q2 of 2013.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1POt5qJOsPw

Nice Horizon video never saw this version before starting to look really good

TCP/IP wrote: »
    They hope to launch Horizon in late Q1 more likely Q2 of 2013.
    Horizon is being rolled out in the Netherlands in a few weeks. Ireland is in the initial tranche of roll out - Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland. So Q1 2013 to be here is a guesstimate. Maybe Q2 is more realistic. I suppose it depends on how the rollout goes elsewhere. Over on the Horizon thread one of the posters commented that he'dd been already interviewed about Horizon (what he'd like to see, costing etc...) by UPC Ireland.

Advertisement