Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meeting people

Options
  • 15-08-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi my gf is moving to cork next month to work, doesn't really know anyone there, any recommendations for clubs or groups that would help her meet and get to know people? She's early 20s and has plenty of interests so any suggestions would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Go to one of piss ups that kingtut usually organises

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

Ok mightn't be a bad idea ha

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leeside_Social

Hey there!:D

Why don't you recommend checking out Leeside Macra.....

Leeside Macra is a youth organisaion (17-35yr olds) for people living in the Cork City/surrounding areas.

We meet once/month. Generally the second Tuesday of every month at 8.30pm upstairs in Le Chateau Bar on Patricks Street.

Leeside Macra is a great way to meet new people and try your hand at a range of activities such as tag rugby, debating, drama, volleyball, basketball, bowling competitions, travel, community involvement, weekends away etc. Above all Leeside Macra is a great way to meet people whilst having a bit of craic, so why not give it a go?

If you or anyone else reading this have any questions at all then why not email them to me at:

Leesidemacra@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What is she interested in? There could be loads of people with info on where she could meet people, but there's no point talking about knitting clubs if she doesn't like knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Naomhoga Chorcai.
    Public rowing every Saturday morning.
    Rowing for members tues and thurs mornings and wed evenings.
    Very social and (mostly)non competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Naomhoga Chorcai.
    Public rowing every Saturday morning.
    Rowing for members tues and thurs mornings and wed evenings.
    Very social and (mostly)non competitive.

I read that as "public rowing every Saturday morning" as in a bunch of people standing round arguing and shouting.:p

Thanks a mill great feedback will pass it all on, sounds like theres plenty to do anyway

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What is she interested in? There could be loads of people with info on where she could meet people, but there's no point talking about knitting clubs if she doesn't like knitting.
    Ok good point well she is into art, casual excercise, music, going out but i think she would be open to new stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ok good point well she is into art, casual excercise, music, going out but i think she would be open to new stuff too

There's one art group I know of. They meet in the Franciscan Well (a pub) every two weeks for a drink and draw group. There's also a few galleries, she could go to them on opening nights of exhibitions and get talking to people.

If by casual exercise you mean she exercises outside of a gym then I know people jog around The Lough, at the Mardyke Sports Centre (I think you might have to pay to use the running track) and down around Fitzgerald's Park (Near the Mardyke.) There's loads of cycling groups.

Music: There's a fair few live venues. I'm guessing The Crane Lane is probably the best for free gigs (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday at midnight.) Cypress Avenue and The Pav are the most well known pub/clubs doing gigs.

Thanks they're all really good suggestions, she'll definitely be interested in most of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Red Hand wrote: »
    I read that as "public rowing every Saturday morning" as in a bunch of people standing round arguing and shouting.:p

Often lots of standing around and shouting but rarely arguing!

Advertisement