Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic Attacks?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Im 23 yrs old and 3 weeks ago I started experiencing what seemed to be dizziness. It got worse when I was out of the house or around people. Than I started getting nauseous, hot flushes and rapid heartbeats all of a sudden.

I went to the GP (after nearly passing out in the waiting room) and the GP just told me it was vertigo and prescribed me some cerc tablets.
    I was convinced that was it, problem solved. Except that these episodes just keep coming on, more often now. The feeling of panic is unbelievable. I feel like I have to get out, away from wherever I am, it is terrifying. I keep telling myself I'm alright, there's nothing to worry about, but it doesn't help. It's such an irrational fear.

So, I think I am experiencing panic attacks? I am making myself go to the GP again to make sure. I am terrified..

I am going on holidays in 10 days and I dont know how I am going to get on a plane etc.

Is there anyone out there that is/has experienced this?

I need help :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amcm27

Hi there,

I've been going through the exact same thing as you for the past 18 months now! I have had the same symptoms as you - feeling really hot suddenly, feeling like I'm going to faint or vomit (although I never have!) and like you, it's when I'm around a crowd of people. For me, it is anxiety attacks. I'm not going to give you any medical advice, that's what your doctor is there for. But I do have a 'coping technique' that I feel works a lot of the time and makes me feel better.

When I feel one coming on, I breathe really deeply and slowly. I also tap my finger on the back of my other hand and really focus on that. Try counting the taps - it will help distract you when you're concentrating on that. I have often reached 1000 when I'm on a crowded bus or something! But it does help!

Also, try carry a bottle of water with you everywhere. Besides the obvious health benefits, its another distraction. When you're feeling the hot flush coming on, sipping on the water will help you cool down and will distract you from it - which will eventually stop the hot flush.

It is a horrible horrible feeling and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I hope that you find my little tip helps you. And don't worry about your holiday - that may be distraction enough to take your mind off it all!

I hope you feel better soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnneSophie89

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely try your tips.

Did you ever get medical help (or go to your gp) with your anxiety attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - apologies but per site rules we cannot give any medical advice on this forum - we are just not qualified.

All we can do is recommend you go back to your GP or seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement