Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've not come accross an Irish person yet, seems to be an overabundance of Nigerians though :P

My barracks is chock full of Nigerians. Every time I order my heavy to fire a rocket he asks me for my bank account details.

It's really hard to maintain the suspension of disbelief looking at the squad list in my barracks. I can accept the whole aliens invading thing, but the idea that the first port of call for a coalition of the willing to defend earth against an invading alien force would be the Nigerian military.

Edit: Fun fact, if you change one of your soldiers names to "Sid Meier" he actually becomes Sid meier and turns into a super soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

VinLieger wrote: »
    It was a pre-order bonus of steam, no idea if it was available for consoles, kinda hoping they release it as paid dlc as chopping out something thats available in the game like that for pre-orders is just punishing people who buy later on if they dont make it available

That's a bit crap, it gets confusing at times and awkward trying to sort out who is support and where. Would really help to colour code the classes instead of everyone being the one colour...all cause I didn't pre-order :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

SeantheMan wrote: »
    That's a bit crap, it gets confusing at times and awkward trying to sort out who is support and where. Would really help to colour code the classes instead of everyone being the one colour...all cause I didn't pre-order :(
    It does make it easier but I have started to use the soldier info (bottom left of screen when soldier selected) to keep aware of who is who during the missions.
    Fun fact, if you change one of your soldiers names to "Sid Meier" he actually becomes Sid meier and turns into a super soldier.
    There are at least 4 of these easter egg troops. Firaxis actually released the names of 5 games designers/developers and stated "see if you can figure out the other names hidden in the game".

Must try a new campaign from the start with 4 of these guys.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/9973/article/xcom-enemy-unknown-cheat-enables-super-soldiers/

The good news is that you can turn the tide against the invaders by unlocking a few super soldiers, which you can bring out into the field of battle. The bad news is that doing so will mark you as a cheater and invalidate your existing session from receiving achievements on Steam, Xbox Live or the PS3.
    Each of the characters comes with a pre-selected list of skills and an overpowered selection of stats, including maximum aim, will, and HP.

Also note that entering the name of Steve Martin, Firaxis’s president, does nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Survived 122 days on Ironman. It was all going great until the first landed UFO mission. I got swarmed by Mutons and lost all but two soldiers in the initial wave, all Lt. or higher. It was just My Lt. sniper and Cpt. support guy left, and they were so close! They took down a cyberdisc without a scratch, and there were only two mutons left to ambush me and wipe them out for good. Panic increased everywhere too fast after that, my rookies just weren't up to the challenge. :(

Damn it, that was fun!

The game is rather short and heavily scripted I have to say. There's very little re-playability. That'll hopefully change soon with some good mods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The game is rather short and heavily scripted I have to say. There's very little re-playability. That'll hopefully change soon with some good mods.

I have to disagree, Portal 1 is short and heavily scripted. This is nothing like that. I've played 16 hours so far and
    only just beat the underground base now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The scripting that does exist is welcome as far as I'm concerned. In the old games, you could end up with several enemy bases at once, and if you didn't manage to sort them out, the country they were in would withdraw from the council. Taking them all on was impossible. UFO and TFTD often had the enemy using mind/molecular control on you regardless of whether the aliens could see you. Often you'd take your first turn only to have your squad overwatch-kill a member or two because they'd been turned already.

And in general, trying to deal with one threat and discovering 5 more as your Skyranger was on the way to the first became cluttered. I welcome the tighter ship this game runs. There's quite enough going on already, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Really strongly disagree with this. Compared to 99% of other games this has much more re-playability!

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have to disagree, Portal 1 is short and heavily scripted. This is nothing like that. I've played 16 hours so far and
    only just beat the underground base now

I'm sorry, I fail to see how what you've said is relative to my point. I guess you should come back to me when you're 16 hours into your 2nd playthrough.
    Sarky wrote: »
    The scripting that does exist is welcome as far as I'm concerned. In the old games, you could end up with several enemy bases at once, and if you didn't manage to sort them out, the country they were in would withdraw from the council. Taking them all on was impossible. UFO and TFTD often had the enemy using mind/molecular control on you regardless of whether the aliens could see you. Often you'd take your first turn only to have your squad overwatch-kill a member or two because they'd been turned already.

And in general, trying to deal with one threat and discovering 5 more as your Skyranger was on the way to the first became cluttered. I welcome the tighter ship this game runs. There's quite enough going on already, thank you very much.

I never said I dislike the scripting, I just feel they went too far with it. The point is replayability. The game is great and there's nothing wrong with it in the first playthrough, the problem is if you play it again you'll have very much the same experience. This point is purely subjective anyway, and doesn't detract from the quality of the game.

It's a proper sequel that retains the spirit of the original, in addition to creating a new experience... it's just not a classic that you'll be playing in 20 years like the original was.

5 different base locations, each with their own benefits? Different perk options for each trooper? That doesn't offer you enticement to replay?

The shorter campaign should actually make it more attractive to replay than the original. You had to do an awful lot of repetitive mission farming in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Love the game, but the little cutscenes when you discover enemies is driving me mental. Can you turn them off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Korvanica wrote: »
    Love the game, but the little cutscenes when you discover enemies is driving me mental. Can you turn them off ?

Yep, in game options turn off action cam I think it's called!

The 'free move' for the aliens is what drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

hm seems that cloud saveing isnt working for me on steam this upsets me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

bizmark wrote: »
    hm seems that cloud saveing isnt working for me on steam this upsets me

It says it's enabled for me, but I don't think it's working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It says it's enabled for me, but I don't think it's working either.

and i thought i was being clever playing in bed for 3 hours :(

bizmark wrote: »
    and i thought i was being clever playing in bed for 3 hours :(

Sex & Sexuality Forum
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Im loving the game so far.
    Although im on my second playthrough and its already looking like i might aswell restart because despite doing every mission so far perfectly and never missing anything i have 3 council members gone.

Its all about getting satellites up asap really. I think i need to look up the best and fastest way to do this.

Ive also had a few instances where i detect a ufo but have no interceptors in range :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sex & Sexuality Forum
    >
    Not sure if that forum covers aliens as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

goodlad wrote: »
    Im loving the game so far.
    Although im on my second playthrough and its already looking like i might aswell restart because despite doing every mission so far perfectly and never missing anything i have 3 council members gone.

Its all about getting satellites up asap really. I think i need to look up the best and fastest way to do this.

Ive also had a few instances where i detect a ufo but have no interceptors in range :(

your base has two interceptors at the start, you can transfer one to wherever you put up your first satellite, and start building more uplinks and interceptors from there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

your base has two interceptors at the start, you can transfer one to wherever you put up your first satellite, and start building more uplinks and interceptors from there too :)

Ah gnice one dude! :)

I think im gonna have t not randomly launch satellites either and just hold them back for when somewhere has a panic level very high

I'm sorry, I fail to see how what you've said is relative to my point. I guess you should come back to me when you're 16 hours into your 2nd playthrough.

I was 16 hours in and on my second play through due to losing badly on my first attempt. I was literally forced to replay the game from the start. Most of the missions are randomly generated and there are multiple difficulty levels.

I'm making a comparison between these two games. Portal 1 is roughly 6 hours long and the same thing every time. One of its biggest complaints was how short it was. If Portal is short, heavily scripted and has little replay value.. what the **** does that make X-COM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 worldalpha

Bought this a few days ago, but haven't had the time to really play it yet. Just played a few missions.

Tenger wrote: »
    5 different base locations, each with their own benefits? Different perk options for each trooper? That doesn't offer you enticement to replay?

The shorter campaign should actually make it more attractive to replay than the original. You had to do an awful lot of repetitive mission farming in that.

Base location doesn't matter. You get the other perks from launching satellites. I've used every single perk for each class in one playthrough.

There's just nothing left for me to see or do until mod support is added.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    I was 16 hours in and on my second play through due to losing badly on my first attempt. I was literally forced to replay the game from the start. Most of the missions are randomly generated and there are multiple difficulty levels.

I'm making a comparison between these two games. Portal 1 is roughly 6 hours long and the same thing every time. One of its biggest complaints was how short it was. If Portal is short, heavily scripted and has little replay value.. what the **** does that make X-COM?

You're comparing a full priced TBS game to a puzzle game that was essentially free in a bundle. There's nothing to compare, they're not even the same genre.

Also the missions are not randomly generated, they're scripted. There are some random elements in which map it takes place on, how many aliens there are, and which fixed spawn points are used. Other than that they are exactly the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

never realised that different soldiers have slightly different stats

i always assumed one col. assault would be the same as the other but was looking through my squad there and i saw one of them has 10(+10) hp and the other has 9(+10) hp

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think their will can vary quite a bit in fact...

Here's a weird thing... I was REALLY stuck last night in a mission (where my squad or battle scanner should have noticed a gang of mutons and a berserker RIGHT UNDER THEIR NOSE but didnt because they were slightly down some steps it seems) and I needed to make one particular shot with my sniper. Had a 55% chance and figured it was pretty much in the bag, any damage and I was ok. So she missed and I reloaded. She misses, I reload, miss reloadmissreloalmiskweolwmsiwtfwtfWtfWTFWTFTFFFF ?

She never made the shot so some how they are doing some sort of predictive thing and locking that into the saves. Which I normally would approve of to stop exactly the sort of thing I was doing but the games LoS system and their camera angles being so goofy makes it feel like I've been cheated and I take back a step by reloading. (Say for example, you can see an enemy, there is no way to tell if when you move to forward cover if you are STILL going to see that enemy, which seems like something the soldier would know.

Anyway, the point of this TL'DR post is that reloading seems to just give you the same "rolls" if you do the same moves...

Secondly, why does the percentage over the heads of the Red Alien In Sight Icon differ from the percentage you see down your barrel?

1: The RNG is tied to your save. Quite a few games do it to stop you "cheating".

2: Didn't notice the numbers being different, probably another bug from the sounds of it.

1: The RNG is tied to your save. Quite a few games do it to stop you "cheating".

That's good to hear

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've had quit a few bugs today, mainly the camera locking in one spot and requiring the game to be restarted.. 5 or 6 times it's happened, pretty annoying

they really need to figure out some way to make travelling around inside of spaceships work better, it's such a massive pain in the balls the way it is now

Advertisement