Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I just finished a Heavy land. Took alot of damage from cyberdiscs but was delighted to get out with everyone alive. Until I got the completion screen and it tells me 1 of my squad died....

Playing on Ironman, this is a nasty nasty bug! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Big Knox wrote: »
    I just finished a Heavy land. Took alot of damage from cyberdiscs but was delighted to get out with everyone alive. Until I got the completion screen and it tells me 1 of my squad died....

Playing on Ironman, this is a nasty nasty bug! :(

Did your shiv get destroyed? I was confused by that as it lists it as a squadmember killed.

Did your shiv get destroyed? I was confused by that as it lists it as a squadmember killed.

Nope, one of my Heavies. Major rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

i've had quit a few bugs today, mainly the camera locking in one spot and requiring the game to be restarted.. 5 or 6 times it's happened, pretty annoying

they really need to figure out some way to make travelling around inside of spaceships work better, it's such a massive pain in the balls the way it is now

That is my main gripe too, the camera inside of ships/buildings. They need to add the option to "tilt" to the camera I think.

I also had the screen lock in 1 spot, I did find a way to unlock it somehow but cant remember, it wasn't obvious. Definitely wasn't one of the hotkeys. Could have been Alt+Tabbing or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Started it last night, and it's really bloody good. I'm a little lost at times, but really enjoying it. Playing on normal ironman, and it's bloody worrying when your squad get in trouble. I hired the first Irish guy i could, and renamed him, and then...well, you can guess :(

When back at base, if you've nothing to research/build, are you just supposed to scan for activity until something happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yep, exhaust all options and never name anyone in your squad Arnold Schwarzenegger unless you want this to happen..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103089546&insideModal=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kiith wrote: »
    Started it last night, and it's really bloody good. I'm a little lost at times, but really enjoying it. Playing on normal ironman, and it's bloody worrying when your squad get in trouble. I hired the first Irish guy i could, and renamed him, and then...well, you can guess :(

When back at base, if you've nothing to research/build, are you just supposed to scan for activity until something happens?

Buy things for your squad, sell some of the crap you've accumulated on the "Gray Market"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

yep, exhaust all options and never name anyone in your squad Arnold Schwarzenegger unless you want this to happen..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103089546&insideModal=1

Major Chavez had an appropriate nickname at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I haven't really hired any soldiers yet. Can you select which soldiers (nationality wise) you want after you hire them or is it completely random?

Also has anyone tried Multiplayer yet?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Buy things for your squad, sell some of the crap you've accumulated on the "Gray Market"

Regarding the selling, should i sell anything i've researched, or can the items be used for other things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I haven't really hired any soldiers yet. Can you select which soldiers (nationality wise) you want after you hire them or is it completely random?

Also has anyone tried Multiplayer yet?

Its completely random when hiring soldiers, had a go at multiplayer last night, kind of annoying when setting up your squad and pick a soldier that you have to select from 3-4 pre defined skill tree options and cant make a mish mash of your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Regarding the selling, should i sell anything i've researched, or can the items be used for other things?

generally everything you research has a further use as parts for weapons, armour, ships, etc etc

if somerthing is damaged it will say "no further use" in the grey market place, so you can happily sell them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a bit odd how you can change a soldiers full-name, nickname, hair, ethnicity, but not their nationality.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a bit odd how you can change a soldiers full-name, nickname, hair, ethnicity, but not their nationality.

Doubly weird was that you could in the demo..

anyone else having serious ****ing trouble getting people to land?

put some of my men into archanger armour and now they're just floating around the place, refusing to land where I tell them to..

scroll down til the movement tile is at ground level and issue the move command, then turn off your roger ramjet jetpack :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah PC gaming, never change: so people have already been taking apart the PC version, with the eye to creating mods aplenty for the game; the popular nexus sites has already added a Xcom site to house them all:
    http://xcom.nexusmods.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

You're comparing a full priced TBS game to a puzzle game that was essentially free in a bundle. There's nothing to compare, they're not even the same genre.

Also the missions are not randomly generated, they're scripted. There are some random elements in which map it takes place on, how many aliens there are, and which fixed spawn points are used. Other than that they are exactly the same.

I'm starting to agree with you after finishing the game. The bubble has been little bit burst. I think the reason why the old game felt more open ended was because it was far more difficult and you weren't given as much guidance in terms of goals. I never once captured a live specimen in the old game for example.

I'm uninstalling this game since it has consumed my life for almost 4 days... back to reality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah PC gaming, never change: so people have already been taking apart the PC version, with the eye to creating mods aplenty for the game; the popular nexus sites has already added a Xcom site to house them all:
    http://xcom.nexusmods.com/

Sweet. I'll bet someone will make a Terror From The Deep mod before too long.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm starting to agree with you after finishing the game. The bubble has been little bit burst. I think the reason why the old game felt more open ended was because it was far more difficult and you weren't given as much guidance in terms of goals. I never once captured a live specimen in the old game for example.

I'm uninstalling this game since it has consumed my life for almost 4 days... back to reality!

In fairness the game is still great. Let's face it, a AAA turn based strategy game, rather than another poxy brown shooter, is a good thing.

The style of game is just better suited to being open ended and sandbox. I have a feeling it would have been if the development hadn't been so troubled.

• Advertisement

On a mission and I can't see rooftops or any level above me even if I change the camera level.

I'm in trouble as I have two cyberdiscs above me and I can't move to engage them and I've lost two support due to this already. I've reloaded and it still doesn't fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

god damnit

started an iron man on normal, was doing so well

lost my two best ranked supports a major and a lt in the last mission, and I just figured out that my satellite nexus won't be finished before the council meeting and I already have 3 countries in the red

ill start a new game on friday

god damnit

doing an ironman normal runthrough atm, managed to keep all the countries (barely) and got the base assault done, tough going.

Have all satellites up and 1 interceptor on every continent each armed with the plasma canon.

Lots of KIA's so far, mostly rookies and squadies, though i did lose a Major and a Captain on one mission which set me back badly.

Just got titan armour and working on plasma weaponry for the troops before i push onwards :D

Snipers with Double Tap are just honest-to-god lifesavers! Especially with Crysilids.. nasty fcukers them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm working through Classic (non-ironman, lets call it TinMan :) ).... and boy I wouldnt have any hair left if this was Ironman....

one other gripe is that its hard to tell if a square will have a view of a target. I cant recall how many times I've moved a guy to what looked like a decent position only for him to go "alien? what alien?" ... very frustrating...

Just about to get
    psykers
    so ... cant wait to see how that goes :)

Assault marine with alloy cannon, ghost armour, rapid fire + all the abilities that boost crit is absolutely hilarious. He can kill any other unit in the game on his own in one turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Assaults are probably the best class in the game, tied with the stupid mobility supports get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lord lost 4 guys in the base assault mission including 2 who where with me for 20 missions at that point my remaining two squad members struggled on thankfully one of which was an out and out murder machine with around 40 kills to her name at that point who then goes and gets possessed right at the end so now i have her starring at my 3 mission old rookie standing near her she has the if you move with in 4 squares of her she will blow your face off perk so i cant re-position for a better than 30% chance to kill the pyker so i have to take the shot sweetest feeling when it connected and killed the enemy i would of been rather upset if i lost her and my other 2 vets on the same bloody mission .

Then i relised it was 4,30 in the morning and i have **** to do tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

started playing this last night, easy Ironman.

Never played the original, but liking this so far.

Got pissed off with one death, highest ranked Assault guy got an alien dropped behind him, never had a chance...

90% chance to hit...miss!!

FU! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

90% chance to hit...miss!!

FU! :pac:

Yesterday I was one tile away from an alien, had 97% chance to hit and I missed :(

My face literally went like this - :eek: .... :confused: .... :mad:

It was grand though, my other squad member who was a fews tiles away and had 70% chance to hit got him :pac:

Advertisement