Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Assault marine with alloy cannon, ghost armour, rapid fire + all the abilities that boost crit is absolutely hilarious. He can kill any other unit in the game on his own in one turn.

Is the alloy cannon better than the plasma rifle? I have my 2 Assault and 2 support kitted with Plasma rifles but I can research the alloy cannon.

Running two Assault. One defensive and one crit build with rapidfire and the plasma rifle and the damage is insane! But I don't think it's as bullsh1t as a Sniper with a plasma sniper, squad sight, archangel armour and either of the final perks.

You just float in the air, miles away from any enemies, absolutely destroying multiple enemies per turn that show up anywhere on the map.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This game has a different concept of "50%" to the one I learned about in Maths. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

DeVore wrote: »
    This game has a different concept of "50%" to the one I learned about in Maths. :)

50% will be a 50% chance no matter how many times it occurs. Flip a coin 100 times, if it lands on heads 99 times in a row. Landing on tails on the 100th try will still be 50% chance. :P

Played a mission yesterday, EVERY SHOT I TOOK MISSED... some of the over 70% most around 60%. When my squad was destroyed, reloaded like a bitch..... I honestly think these soldiers went to the stormtrooper training school

Anyone else having issues with game lag ?

As in when the little cutscenes are happening it freezes here and there. And the loading screen after a mission (the cgi vid with the skyranger flying) stops and starts for me aswell.

Also when i'm in combat I have issues with this too.

I've updated graphics and bios drivers and it didn't help. Already on lowest graphics settings.

Its only a small issue but its driving me nuts !

Any ideas?

I'm also having issues with the UI sometimes. Pressing the (Shoot/reload/item) buttons sometimes does nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

TIL titan armour doesn't help you an awful lot when you're trying to hit mutons with pea shooters
    ]
    --edit

yeah im having issues with lag, mainly only when that weaponless big red muton is running around.. quite a but of stuttering there

the buttons not doing anything... is it when another unit of yours is running somewhere? for some reason you can't do anything at all until they've reached their destination.. even if you've already switched control to another unit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

try using the light plasma rifles, you get +10 aim with those and they stack with the aim from the scope, if you havent got any, you can get them from stunning thin men :)

• Advertisement

try using the light plasma rifles, you get +10 aim with those and they stack with the aim from the scope, if you havent got any, you can get them from stunning thin men :)

yeah I loved light plasmas in my last playthrough.

forgot you could get them by stunning.. might try that in next playthrough, the research path to plasma takes a damn while

i have a lot of cleaning and stuff to do today so no more x-com until tomorrow but i'll start a new iron man playthrough then and this time I'm going to focus on laser weapons before titan armour. carapace will do for a few months.

still using carapace myself atm, I have 2 titans, and cant afford more titan, ghost or archangel yet because I've run out of alloys :D

i haven't even gotten to ghost yet in any of my playthroughs

i restarted yesterday because I broke the game on myself.. a little bit of procastination before story missions is good but I over shot that by quite a bit :)

i wanted to level up my squad as much as possible before doing the alien base assault missions and I kinda took the piss. ended up with a load of col and majors, 7k in the bank and everyones panic level was down to 1 bar
    I quit once I realised how ridiculously stupid the rest of the game was going to be

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I take it that stunning thin men is something you do on a setting less than classic. So far (and I'm still playing my first game you time-rich loopers!) I sh*t myself when I see Thin Men because they gob that poison from miles away and it never misses. I'd rather 3 berzerkers to be honest.

What I meant about "50%" was a wry comment that from my observation 50% shots do NOT appear to hit 50% of the time :)
    Also if I flipped a coin 99 times and it came up 99 heads, I would consider the next flipped to be less than 50/50 on empirical evidence that it could no longer be considered a "fair coin" :):p

Meanwhile, here is a sloppy tech tree but its the best I could find.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jsbCG.gif

heres a slightly better one:
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/NGLEJ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

TIL titan armour doesn't help you an awful lot when you're trying to hit mutons with pea shooters
    ]
    --edit

yeah im having issues with lag, mainly only when that weaponless big red muton is running around.. quite a but of stuttering there

the buttons not doing anything... is it when another unit of yours is running somewhere? for some reason you can't do anything at all until they've reached their destination.. even if you've already switched control to another unit

That must be it. Hope they patch it.

Thin men have 3 health right? (Normal Difficulty) Can I just stun them right out ?

dunno, but I was able to just stun outsiders right out and they have 3 health too

give it a shot sure, but try it with a rookie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Korvanica wrote: »
    That must be it. Hope they patch it.

Thin men have 3 health right? (Normal Difficulty) Can I just stun them right out ?

You can but it only has a 70% chance to hit. If they're down to one health it's 90% and 80% for 2 health. Towards the start of the game I usually bring down their health one or two with a shot from the basic pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

OH man 32 hours pumped into this game already! Damn you steam and your accurate time keeping and damn you Firaxis and your time vampire games! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Well my squady with 74 kills is also psi enabled i swear to god she will take over the world after this alien invasion business is done with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Having a much easier time with accuracy since I've equipped my squad with Laser Rifles. Finding the difficulty difference between Normal and Classic to be huge.

I remember in the original game that when you were kicking them to the curb that the sectoids etc would start to panic as well. Was a great touch in the original game. Has anyone seen this happen in this one yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Big Knox wrote: »
    Is the alloy cannon better than the plasma rifle? I have my 2 Assault and 2 support kitted with Plasma rifles but I can research the alloy cannon.

The alloy cannon is the best weapon in the game. It's like an uber shotgun. You need to be close, but when you're beside something you can do 30+ damage in one turn with the right talents.
    bizmark wrote: »
    Well my squady with 74 kills is also psi enabled i swear to god she will take over the world after this alien invasion business is done with

Somehow,
    I don't think she will...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Is anybody having issues with their shivs? I built a hovering shiv equipped with a laser, and used it on 2 missions where the only option for it was flying i.e. no overwatch or fire option. Happened to me with a basic shiv model as well, could only use them to draw fire during a mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

DeVore wrote: »
    What I meant about "50%" was a wry comment that from my observation 50% shots do NOT appear to hit 50% of the time :)
    Also if I flipped a coin 99 times and it came up 99 heads, I would consider the next flipped to be less than 50/50 on empirical evidence that it could no longer be considered a "fair coin" :):p

Well, it's possible... Just the likelihood of it happening is 1 in a very big number :p

I think the game pre-determines if a shot will make it or not rather than rolling the dice on the turn. For example, I had made a save just before a 97% chance to hit shot, it missed. For the fun of it I decided to reload and try again, missed again. I repeated this ten times and every time I missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Speaking of chances of hitting or not. I had a 1% chance of hitting with the shotgun and also had a 1% chance of the double shot. I went for the double anyway and landed a hit. I wonder does the double shot actually have less of a chance than the single shot but the game just can't represent fractions smaller than 1%? Or was it the same chance, effectively meaning the double shot is twice as likely to land?

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    Speaking of chances of hitting or not. I had a 1% chance of hitting with the shotgun and also had a 1% chance of the double shot. I went for the double anyway and landed a hit. I wonder does the double shot actually have less of a chance than the single shot but the game just can't represent fractions smaller than 1%? Or was it the same chance, effectively meaning the double shot is twice as likely to land?

Double shot has less of a chance, 1% is just the lowest chance to hit that you can get.

In saying that with double shot you always have more of a chance to land a hit than firing once, unless the single shot is 100%. Maths is fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Still on my first game and raided my first intact transport (got to capture an alive elite) only 1 country has left, my badass sniper is dead :( but he's been replaced by a badass assault from south africa

and I've nothing left to research it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone want to help me clear up something ??

Are the "storyline" missions time critical ?

Say for example the storyline mission i have to do is the first base assualt one where you get engineering to make you a key etc ......

Ok i tried the mission all going well got to the last section with full squad and boom got rushed by 7 of thos Arachnid heavily armoured type guys !!!
    They surrounded me straight away , my weapons seem cat against them , the squad starts panicking, you know the rest a slaughter basically ..........

SO heres the lasts question should i hold off on this mission and try and get some reasearch done ? im currently reseaching light plasma rifles or am i just crap ??
    Like usually for most missions i can get through them without losing anyone as im very tactical in my approach .

Question: If I cancel a research project do I get the mats back?

Edit: Yes you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont think so, I've held off on doing them quite a few times so far

The game gives the impression that they are, but you can safely do other stuff so long as you don't lose 8 council countries.

The game gives the impression that they are, but you can safely do other stuff so long as you don't lose 8 council countries.

i didnt bother doing the base assault for like... 12 hours

ended up with 7-8k in the bank, all countries on 1 panic level and everything researched

broke the game on myself so just restarted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

i didnt bother doing the base assault for like... 12 hours

ended up with 7-8k in the bank, all countries on 1 panic level and everything researched

broke the game on myself so just restarted

Think im on the verge of doing the same myself, gonna finish it though and then have a go on classic and see what happens

Anyone want to help me clear up something ??

Say for example the storyline mission i have to do is the first base assualt one where you get engineering to make you a key etc ......

Ok i tried the mission all going well got to the last section with full squad and boom got rushed by 7 of thos Arachnid heavily armoured type guys !!!
    They surrounded me straight away , my weapons seem cat against them , the squad starts panicking, you know the rest a slaughter basically ..........

SO heres the lasts question should i hold off on this mission and try and get some reasearch done ? im currently reseaching light plasma rifles or am i just crap ??
    Like usually for most missions i can get through them without losing anyone as im very tactical in my approach .

Not only are they not time critical it's actually better if you ignore them until you get a country on panic level 5. Then you can pop off, do the story mission, and lower panic globally.

Normal is also hilariously easy, you need to be playing on classic to get any kind of challenge.

• Advertisement

Not only are they not time critical it's actually better if you ignore them until you get a country on panic level 5. Then you can pop off, do the story mission, and lower panic globally.

Normal is also hilariously easy, you need to be playing on classic to get any kind of challenge.

I'm regretting not playing on Classic. Messed up my economy on my first normal ironman game and restarted but now I've a full squad of cols and plenty of backup if needed.

Fully kitted in Titan with Plasma across the board and everything bought that can be. Going to finish the game but I wish I had of restarted on Classic now.

Advertisement