Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

major moore :(

my irish ****ing major assault woman.. turned into a zombie

losing all my best units in the terror mission I dont care about... but not major moore.. not like this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

DeVore wrote: »
    I think the early game you have to start with satellites.... Get power and workshops next to build stuff. I went with two labs early on in my game.....

Early game the focus should be on stabilising the council and getting the economy up and running enough to kit out a few of your fortunate-to-still-be-alive rookies.......
    I agree. Engineers seem to have more longterm importance than scientists. No real rush on research but you need that improved armour NOW!
    NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Assaults are probably the best class in the game, tied with the stupid mobility supports get.

I always seem to lose my Assaults early on. Have been very careful recently and brought 2 rookies up to Major (letting them finish off wounded aliens to get the XP) to complement my starting Colonel. Pretty much used the othe 4 guys to back up and protect the 2 Assaults. I want to have myself 3 Colonel Assaults.

There is a game strat that ignores snipers and focuses on Assault and support. By ignoring snipers you do not need to 'waste' resources and money on researching/building sniper rifles, SCOPE's or improved pistols. You also try to capture as many mutons as possbile to grab their plasma weaponry. Assault and Support being able to use interchangeable weapons. Those Plasma rifles are expensive to build!! Tactics wise you use massed Gun and Run to wipe out alien packs quickly.

Saving resources this way allows you to get Firestroms and better armour up a lot quicker. The start also advises staring in South America to save researching alien bodies/live captures.

Not sure how you can just ignore 3-4 of your soldiers. Use them as fodder once they get promoted to Squaddie Sniper?

ranked supports with light plasma rifles and scopes are so damn good im not sure you'd need snipers, i've dropped snipers in favour of a good support many times

then again support don't have squad sight which can be a bloody life saver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone who is interested there was a kickstarter project for an x-com clone game called Xenonauts a while back.

I was actually looking at this before I even heard about XCOM: Enemy Unknown and iv played the alpha demo and it's very promising.

Just an alternative to those who've played Enemy Unknown who might be interested in more of this type of game or anyone who is just an xcom fan in general. The actual game is supposed to be released quite relatively soon as well.

does anyone else just plain suck at this game?

I finished my 9th new game just there
    lost nearly all my high ranked troops, didnt fancy taking on the horde with a squad full of rookies and just cycled through the scan missions button until i saw the end game cinematic

im gona start my 10th game in a bit, because i'm addicted. but this is terrible. .in one of my games I got to the alien base assault, just one. i dont think i'll ever be able for classic difficulty.

i might even drop down to easy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ranked supports with light plasma rifles and scopes are so damn good im not sure you'd need snipers, i've dropped snipers in favour of a good support many times

then again support don't have squad sight which can be a bloody life saver
    I actually found squad sight not that great. I realise the potential it has but I found Snap Shot a lot more useful every map. Squad Sight relies on open maps for line of fire. Snap Shot allows my sniper to keep up with my troops. I prefer to have 6 troops shooting once each turn that a sniper shooting every 2nd turn as they need to reposition every now and then.

Now saying that...... a Colonel with Double Tap,Squad Sight and Arcangel armour does sound excellent. Haven't built myself that armour yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

does anyone else just plain suck at this game?

I finished my 9th new game just there
    lost nearly all my high ranked troops, didnt fancy taking on the horde with a squad full of rookies and just cycled through the scan missions button until i saw the end game cinematic

im gona start my 10th game in a bit, because i'm addicted. but this is terrible. .in one of my games I got to the alien base assault, just one. i dont think i'll ever be able for classic difficulty.

i might even drop down to easy...

Run a team of 2 assault, 2 support, 1 heavy and 1 sniper.

Move forward slowly and most importantly try and have the majority of your team on overwatch at the end of every turn where you don't have visible enemies on the map.

Build 1 assault pure defensive and one a crit build, get them into Titan armour as soon as possible and make them your front line. Use your heavy to clear up grouped enemies and to remove cover with grenades and the RL before your assault clean up afterwards. Have squad sight on your sniper and get him into an elevated position with good visibility and have him on overwatch every turn.

Don't rush terror missions, Civilian casualties aren't a big deal, even if you go slow you will still save 50% which is fine.

Most importantly, prioritise satellites early game. Build uplinks as fast as possible and use your satellites at the end of the month on countries with high panic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Big Knox wrote: »
    Don't rush terror missions, Civilian casualties aren't a big deal, even if you go slow you will still save 50% which is fine.

Qft, most of the time you can just setup a heavy defensive line and overwatch it. if there's a rooftop, get your whole team or a pair of snipers up there, in fact that works for everything. High ground = win! :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I used to rush forward with my squad but on classic its just asking to get ripped apart.

Move slowly, this isnt a race and try to have half your team on overwatch. Before you breach a door, have everyone up there. The alients wont move around much until they are spotted (at which stage they take off like a stabbed rat grrrrr :( ) so use that time to set everyone up and when you breach a door, breach the mofo out of it :)

The start of the game is the hardest imho, and the base is one of the hardest missions I've played (I'm still finishing my first game on classic, thats how slow I've been taking it!)

In the meta game, get sats up. Get money in, research what you need for lazer/plasma weapons and Carapace armour and you are sorted. From there you can research bigger ships and better armour.

your weapons can go from great to too **** to hurt anything so fast

so damn fast

*salutes his fallen squad and starts a new game*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I feel like this game is too based on luck. I think it would be better if you fired a few shots when you attack each with less damage so you would do gradual damage regardless rather than the polarised hit or miss

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I do wish they had kept more of the movement points idea, maybe not the huge number of before but two is just too few. moving one step and reloading is the same as running dozens of yards and letting off a volley. Also, what spastic thought that it would be a good idea to have a system where you can reload and your turn is over, or you can move and then reload. That needs slaps.

High end snipers are your glass cannon. If my snipers can see it, they pretty much have 100% shots on them meaning regular crits (and of course they have Headshot, mmmm). Twin all that with flying armour and two shots a round as colonels and maybe throw in a Squadsight for giggles and nothing can stand up to them.

Anyone know if Mayhem affects grenades as well (it just says "area affect abilities"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

...... what spastic thought that it would be a good idea to have a system where you can reload and your turn is over, or you can move and then reload. That needs slaps......
    Absolutely.......why should fire/reload mean end of turn. Maybe I want to reload then fire, or fire and run away?
    Also when you do your 2nd move and uncover aliens, they get an auto move into cover but your guy is frozen in place!! Arse

yeah I hate that "and all of a sudden..ALIENS" **** after you've made a move, it always happens when you're in good cover for the first group of aliens and the second group appear in a position where half your guys are completely flanked

i dont mind the fire/reload thing.. bit of extra restrictions on the player keeps it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

is anyone else bar me getting random crashes? like i could be halfway through a cutscene and bam xcom has stopped working windows will notify you blah blah, or it could be in the middle of a mission, in the command centre, my pc can run the game fine on high settings but it just crashes ive tried running on low with vsync off the crash just seems random

Tenger wrote: »
    I actually found squad sight not that great. I realise the potential it has but I found Snap Shot a lot more useful every map. Squad Sight relies on open maps for line of fire. Snap Shot allows my sniper to keep up with my troops. I prefer to have 6 troops shooting once each turn that a sniper shooting every 2nd turn as they need to reposition every now and then.

Now saying that...... a Colonel with Double Tap,Squad Sight and Arcangel armour does sound excellent. Haven't built myself that armour yet.

yeah I used snap shop a lot more when I first got the game but am using squad sight more atm... as you say snap shot is always useful but squad sight is kind of.. more important when it's important, if you get me.

snap shot makes my sniper another one of the guys in a fight but with squad sight, he's something of a lifesaver when someone else gets in trouble.
    provided he doesnt miss his bloody shot.

I do wish they had kept more of the movement points idea, maybe not the huge number of before but two is just too few. moving one step and reloading is the same as running dozens of yards and letting off a volley. Also, what spastic thought that it would be a good idea to have a system where you can reload and your turn is over, or you can move and then reload. That needs slaps.

High end snipers are your glass cannon. If my snipers can see it, they pretty much have 100% shots on them meaning regular crits (and of course they have Headshot, mmmm). Twin all that with flying armour and two shots a round as colonels and maybe throw in a Squadsight for giggles and nothing can stand up to them.

Anyone know if Mayhem affects grenades as well (it just says "area affect abilities"?

It gets even worse because its not obvious whether or not certains moves will end your turn. Its trial and error at first.

Just for everyone's sanity.... do NOT try to use the grappel inside one of the huge motherships... it will drive you bonkers and when you finally DO get a sniper up there, you can barely move him around, the controls are so wonky.

Yesterday I got jumped right at the start of a mothership. three flying discs and I cut them down with overwatch as they came through the door. Cue a fire in the doorway which JUST WOULDNT GO OUT.... my guys in Titan armour could get through but the other three couldnt!! No way forward, no way back and despite giving it 20 turns it never went out. LOL... had to reload and there may have been some swearing.

I've been running with two snipers (cos that's how I roll :)) , one with squadsight and one with move-and-shoot and I find the latter a lot more useful I have to say. Too often the squad can see an alien and the sniper is like "wut?" and doesnt have a bead on him. Inside ships, its move-and-shoot all the way imho.

A bigger question is extra explosiveness and submission damage... or an extra rocket??

How did I manage to finish this game and never come across fires once...! Could you not just toss a grenade at wall/door area and blow open a new passage?

I would suggest an extra rocket. I went for a bigger explosive but it was too big a blast radius. I could never get a decent shot without taking out something undesirable like a citizen or alien technology

Just for everyone's sanity.... do NOT try to use the grappel inside one of the huge motherships... it will drive you bonkers and when you finally DO get a sniper up there, you can barely move him around, the controls are so wonky.

Yesterday I got jumped right at the start of a mothership. three flying discs and I cut them down with overwatch as they came through the door. Cue a fire in the doorway which JUST WOULDNT GO OUT.... my guys in Titan armour could get through but the other three couldnt!! No way forward, no way back and despite giving it 20 turns it never went out. LOL... had to reload and there may have been some swearing.

I've been running with two snipers (cos that's how I roll :)) , one with squadsight and one with move-and-shoot and I find the latter a lot more useful I have to say. Too often the squad can see an alien and the sniper is like "wut?" and doesnt have a bead on him. Inside ships, its move-and-shoot all the way imho.

A bigger question is extra explosiveness and submission damage... or an extra rocket??

Heat ammo with the extra rocket and the plasma launcher is alot of AoE damage and rips up Cyberdiscs and sectopods! If it wasn't for this I wouldn't even use a Heavy as they are inferior to Assault and Support in pretty much every way. The above makes them worth having for certain situations though!

• Advertisement

I tried, blasting it with rockets, grenades, I even tried standing my titan guys on it to put it out. It covered the only three tiles of floor that were indestructible and the only path through.

I'm terrified of those big walker robots, they are nasty...but the Thin Men are now cannon fodder given that they cant poison me any more. :)

I cant stop laughing at the idea that the Mutons (the green and red heavies) are making a "surprise sex-face" when they are discovered. Once you see them in their "reveal" snippet, you'll never be able to not see it :)

im taking a break from this game for a while.. just had a round here i had 8 shots in a row that didn't hit

i'll come back to it in a while but for now i'd rather play a game where what I did had some bearing on whether or not I won

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Not sure what I'm meant to do now:
    I'm at the part where I've revealed the mothership, built the psi-training and trained some soldiers up to full psi capabilities, no idea what to do now though. There's nothing marked as mission critical and the events I'm getting just seem to be run of the mill stuff.

Edit:
    Build the Gollop chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just a note to anyone playing soon, dont listen when the head engineer dude tells you to build a foundry quickly as early as possible!!!!

What a load of ****e, i would of been better off spending that money on satelites and the centres to run them.

Asshole, im after losing 3 countries now :mad:

I built labs to do all that lovely research .... and 5 countries left. Since then I've only lost one more but it was ropey for a while!

I recommend building sat, uplink, workshop and power. Not necessaraily in that order mind you. Dont get power-blocked, I couldnt build anything because I didnt have the power and it was a total pain in the goolies cos I build my first power right over in the corner :)

planning the base is important too! I've gotten by with just my original two labs but have 4 workshops now. Steam power is excellent so go fo r that and cluster your uplinks in squares of 2x2 that gives you the maximum bonus for adjacency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Im near the end of the game and i have had just about enough of it at this stage its just too ****ing annoying.

Everything was fine and dandy then all of a sudden the game decides to be to ****ing hard and the enemies make the impossible possible.

Had a guy , one of my top assault soliders fairly great distance away from the rest , well positoned , under cover and had walls blocking any sort of bullets heading his direction, but then one enemy decides to take the chance with a plasma gun and kills me one hit.

This left my squad bit hurt since he is gone and had no one to cover for him.

Completed the mission anyways , my squad hurt as for process and had to wait about 4-5 days. Straight away not even a day went by , india in trouble , i do the mission , its save civilians , not even two steps , two giants mechs , the flying saucer thing with its ****ing repair bots, and those creatures that turn people into zombies.

No cover so i went **** this and loaded up the game again and just skipped the mission. India stopped refunding me though they were in blue and not even two bars were up , and france also but went into panic mode...Why?

And all this goes to this mission now , ufo landed in canada , everything grand moved up , team well positioned then all of a sudden out of no where a giant mech appears behind my solider solid snake and appeared out of thin air ,
    ****ing brutes all around my men and repair bots. All this after just taken 3 steps.

I was really enjoying this game up to this point but i am done and really dont care anymore to be honest , for the time up to this point i was happy to buy it but this game is really kicking me in the balls.

Just finished my normal ironman game. Overall I have to say I really enjoyed it. Contender for GOTY for me although one complaint in that the ending was a bit anti-climatic!

I started the final mission with 6 cols fully geared. Lost 1 support when my crit build assault got mindcontrolled and one shot him. :p Other than that it went pretty smoothly.

Definitely wish I had of played on Classic now as normal turned out to be way too easy, although I was taking everything very very slow. Only lost 4 soldiers in total!

Going to take a break for awhile but will definitely come back for a Classic ironman at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

My post on the previous page has a link to a x-com clone being developed called Xenonauts. Very promising if anyone else if looking for something similar to keep them going. Although not as flashy as Enemy Unknown, looks like there will be a lot more for players to do in it.

I'm still keeping my time with playing enemy unknown, and also keeping an eye on the mods being developed - however am really enjoying it. I'v already installed a mod that balances the game a bit more.

I still prefer XCOM Apocalypse though, probably one of (if not) my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Im near the end of the game and i have had just about enough of it at this stage its just too ****ing annoying.

Everything was fine and dandy then all of a sudden the game decides to be to ****ing hard and the enemies make the impossible possible.

Had a guy , one of my top assault soliders fairly great distance away from the rest , well positoned , under cover and had walls blocking any sort of bullets heading his direction, but then one enemy decides to take the chance with a plasma gun and kills me one hit.

This left my squad bit hurt since he is gone and had no one to cover for him.

Completed the mission anyways , my squad hurt as for process and had to wait about 4-5 days. Straight away not even a day went by , india in trouble , i do the mission , its save civilians , not even two steps , two giants mechs , the flying saucer thing with its ****ing repair bots, and those creatures that turn people into zombies.

No cover so i went **** this and loaded up the game again and just skipped the mission. India stopped refunding me though they were in blue and not even two bars were up , and france also but went into panic mode...Why?

And all this goes to this mission now , ufo landed in canada , everything grand moved up , team well positioned then all of a sudden out of no where a giant mech appears behind my solider solid snake and appeared out of thin air ,
    ****ing brutes all around my men and repair bots. All this after just taken 3 steps.

I was really enjoying this game up to this point but i am done and really dont care anymore to be honest , for the time up to this point i was happy to buy it but this game is really kicking me in the balls.

bill_paxton_aliens.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Jonny7 wrote: »
    bill_paxton_aliens.jpg

Hudson is the man, his death scene is possibly my favourite ever death scene from any film ever!

Advertisement