Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hudson is the man, his death scene is possibly my favourite ever death scene from any film ever!

****in' A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Hudson is the man, his death scene is possibly my favourite ever death scene from any film ever!

Spoilers!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see that G2play.net are doing a one day special of €30 for this + DLC1.

http://www.g2play.net/store/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Steam-Key.html

Thought it'd be better here than BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

the_syco wrote: »
    I see that G2play.net are doing a one day special of €30 for this + DLC1.

http://www.g2play.net/store/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Steam-Key.html

Thought it'd be better here than BA.

After reading all the comments on this thread, I'm very tempted with that offer. But I'm determined to clear some of my backlog before picking it up (hopefully at a reduced price!).

(Oh, and just to add, Game over man, Game over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What's the most kills anyone's gotten with one soldier? 26 is the best I've managed before he got killed, no doubt dwarfed by someone else here? Dev? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

What's the most kills anyone's gotten with one soldier? 26 is the best I've managed before he got killed, no doubt dwarfed by someone else here? Dev? :)

My crit build Assault, "the teamkiller" as I like to call her had well over 100 when I finished the game. Must check the exact number!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Had a sniper with 64, a KIA support with 46 and a lot of others with 30+

The support one had that light plasma rifle with the +10 aim on it, legend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can the stats go over 100?

like if I have someone with aim 85 + 10 from the plasma rifle and then +10 from the scope.. does it just max out at 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

can the stats go over 100?

like if I have someone with aim 85 + 10 from the plasma rifle and then +10 from the scope.. does it just max out at 100?

Ive got a sniper with base aim at 105 so yes it goes over 100

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think my sniper has 60 kills and is racking them up fast now with Double Tap. She is pretty much a one-shot-one-kill animal. The only thing really giving me problems is the robots, if they draw a bead on you , they can sure as hell do some damage.

PROTIP: the robots seem to decide their area of effect attack based on the *previous* locations not what is currently there. I've had them bombard areas I HAD 3 guys in but luckily enough had moved everyone away and the barrage missed entirely. (Two shots a round with that cannon though is still ungodly :( )

• Advertisement

anyone else running into issues with the game assigning ****ed up amounts of troop classes?

atm I have 2 assault, 1 support, 4 heavies and 3 snipers... it's ridiculous.

It's apparently random, but i always have an excess of heavies

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

More heavies and assault than snipers and support... I guess they expect you to die up front more often and need more of the front line ones maybe?

I check and my sniper has 60 while I have 4 others on 50 odd each (I've been very very careful with my troops :) )

Just had a fun bomb-mission where I sent only squaddies (in top gear and guns) plus two psykers to level them. To be fair, they did ok (poison works on Ghost Armour btw... its nasty for Squaddies, esp when you forget to bring medkits :) )
    All of them lived but a few are going to be scarred mentally for life :)

I need to level up more squaddies to get their Will up high (I bought the Officer perk too) and test them for psychic abilities then so I'll have a team of psychic colonels going into the end...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DeVore wrote: »
    More heavies and assault than snipers and support... I guess they expect you to die up front more often and need more of the front line ones maybe?....
    I fought that I keep losing my assault troops once they were Sergeants and/or LT's. I had 1 Assault Major (now a Colonel) but no one else to replace. 2 squaddies got assigned Assault so I spent the next 4-5 missions with the other 4 guys protecting those 2, tried to get them as many kills as I could using Run&Gun combined with Rapid Fire. So now I have a Colonel, Major and Captain in Assault. (Major has 26 kills in 13 missions)

In my next play through I might go with the Run&Gun/Lightening Reflexes/Arc Thrower tactic. Might save me paying for those fancy weapons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Finished Easy Ironman yesterday.
    Team of 6, 1 heavy, 1 support, 2 assault, 2 snipers

Apart from the support, they were all Col., and all had plasma weapons (alloy cannon for assault) and titan armor except for my Heavy who was wearing psi armor.

Having 2 snipers with double tap is almost unfair...

Saying that, tried my hand at classic mode afterward, holy sh*t!
    I think 2 snipers would be too much of a luxury, going to need 2 support maxed out on healing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Only just started again, and finding supports with the +3 movement and arc throwers bloody fantastic <3

I have two of them now, both spec'd as medic's. Think one of them just got the 2 item perk, so arc thower + 3x med kits for even more utility.

as an aside, I find it particularly daft that they have this magic healing spray that heals guys in single turn, but if you return to base with a guy having lost a few hp, it takes him the better part of a week to recover... wth :p

Do you lose all the equipment he was carrying if a soldier dies?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Do you lose all the equipment he was carrying if a soldier dies?

Nope, it goes back into the locker at the end of the mission, not sure if everyone dies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Been running with 2 assault, 2 sniper, 1 heavy and 1 support.
    The double tap on my sniper is insane especially when added with squad sight, using a scope and medkit with a plasma rifle for my support and now rarely misses. My assaults have a rifle and alloy canon between them, one is the forward guy with alloy and one the other follws just behind etc.
    Been going pretty well with this setup recently

Wossack wrote: »
    Only just started again, and finding supports with the +3 movement and arc throwers bloody fantastic <3
    Strategically this is very good in the long term as you get to salvage the alien weapons, thus saving your valuable alloys/elerium/cash for other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yea Ive a load of light plasma guns, and a massive backlog of interogations at this stage. Research to use the guns is like 68 days though :o think Im gonna need more then 5 scientists in the near future..

My first encounter with mutons, I captured 2 of the 3. caught the first energy guy (overseer I think?) outta the light ships on my first encounter too - which was a stark contrast to my previous games, which had me accidentally killing them left right and centre (close combat perked assault makes for a terribad alien catcher :p)

Encountered my first Ethereal yesterday.

Command: "That thing, its, its powerful beyond our understanding, you must be very caref..." ... *ROCKET*... *ROCKET*
    "Hey Joe, did you see that things head explode like a melon?"
    "Yeah, funny lookin fncker too"
    "Wanna get a beer and a cheeseburger"
    "Sure thing!"

Has anyone else started to get cold sweats when their squad announces "They're falling back!"??

It almost always is the herald of death...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I usually go "Oh, thank christ, at least one of them didn't shoot at me this time."

Has anyone else started to get cold sweats when their squad announces "They're falling back!"??

It almost always is the herald of death...

It's almost as if the aliens know he said it.. that or they know i was wiping sweat from my brow saying, please don't crit me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Lots of bugs still in the game, none crippling so far yet, very annoying little ones for me its.

Reaction shots, the animation shows you clearly hittting the target, then missed pops up :rolleyes:

Enemy alertness, the odd time enemies on the far corner of the map suddenly become aware your there and rush over. Theres no way they seen you , and you definetly didnt spot them yet.

Not a bug but the missons saving the civilians are bad, sometimes no matter how hard you rush its a complete cluster****, poor implementation.

Lots of bugs still in the game, none crippling so far yet, very annoying little ones for me its.

Reaction shots, the animation shows you clearly hittting the target, then missed pops up :rolleyes:

Enemy alertness, the odd time enemies on the far corner of the map suddenly become aware your there and rush over. Theres no way they seen you , and you definetly didnt spot them yet.

Not a bug but the missons saving the civilians are bad, sometimes no matter how hard you rush its a complete cluster****, poor implementation.

Completely agree.

The animations is general are shockingly bad. Most of the time your shot will clip through whatever surroundings are there. Sometimes I've had my soldiers face the wrong direction and still land a hit. I can't believe they thought they were acceptable to ship.

The alertness mechanic in general is poor. Why do the aliens get a free move as soon as you see the,? I prefer if they just moved around the map outside of fog doing whatever they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

First DLC has been detailed, called "Slingshot"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-23-first-xcom-enemy-unknown-dlc-announced
    Set of 3 missions from the council, plus you get a unique squad member with their own customisation and voice bank. You can bring them into your full game after the missions.

Also Firaxis have said the Elite Soldier Pack (armour skins and colours added as pre-order bonus) should be up for sale now at around $5.

hrm

council missions are pretty **** generally

• Advertisement

Has anyone else started to get cold sweats when their squad announces "They're falling back!"??....
    Most of the time anything that isn't a Floater seems to 'fall back' towards my troops

Advertisement