Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Finished this last night on Normal Ironman. To be honest i would have finished the game about a week ago but i was getting quite bored with it and SMITE was demanding my attention. I found the ending to be a bit weak also. Good game but not something i would play through again on a higher difficulty as it would just frustrate the hell out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Also finished it last night.Flew through the last mission as was fairly decently speced out.Then hit the final room and every thing went horribly wrong. Thankfully had it saved just before entering it, as it took me 5 attempts to clear the room out. Got a similar sense of achievement only found from dark Souls. Gonna take a break from it for a bit but reckon will definitely be a game I return to more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Actually question on the ending:
    In the end my psi soldier saved the earth by controlling the ship. What would have happened had she died? Earth destroyed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

BizzyC wrote: »
    In the end my psi soldier saved the earth by controlling the ship. What would have happened had she died? Earth destroyed?

Not too sure.Was the same for me but a few times
    when the "chosen one" got killed, a psi storm erupted around the rest of the squad and instantly killed them,so not sure if you can proceed if the main psi agent gets killed

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

BizzyC wrote: »
    I read that the games tells you to reload. Not sure what happens in ironman mode. Am sure information is out there though if you want to do some googling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I might as well have played it on Ironman as I never reloaded anyway. Normal is quite easy once you get the hang of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

broke the game on myself again, left it too long before going to capture the outsider.. every country had a satellite and I was raking in the funds

didn't even realise i was doing it, just forgot all about the objective

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

That's not breaking it imo, you're playing it your way which is better than playing it on rails, ramp up the difficulty and snare yourself an outsider :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So finished my Classic "Tinman" run... was fun but Classic is so hard it meant I saved a lot and hence the tension went a bit. But now that I know how it plays, I'm going back for a Normal Ironman run and suspect it will be a lot of fun and quite different. :)

The ending:
    I liked it but it was a bit easier then I expected. I went in with only a couple of psykers, who I hardly even used as psykers. Imho, they arent worth much unless you have them in numbers. My main sniper turned out to be the one and he was just way more effective shooting real bullets at them than mind-bullets. :) I was tooled up and they were all Colonels but that was that. Ignored all of the final room and doubletapped the main baddy. Then had a smoke. Kinda anti-climatic but I liked it all the same. Some of the battleship Ufos were harder fights :)

Fun game, will be playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

DeVore wrote: »
    So finished my Classic "Tinman" run... was fun but Classic is so hard it meant I saved a lot and hence the tension went a bit. But now that I know how it plays, I'm going back for a Normal Ironman run and suspect it will be a lot of fun and quite different. :)

The ending:
    I liked it but it was a bit easier then I expected. I went in with only a couple of psykers, who I hardly even used as psykers. Imho, they arent worth much unless you have them in numbers. My main sniper turned out to be the one and he was just way more effective shooting real bullets at them than mind-bullets. :) I was tooled up and they were all Colonels but that was that. Ignored all of the final room and doubletapped the main baddy. Then had a smoke. Kinda anti-climatic but I liked it all the same. Some of the battleship Ufos were harder fights :)

I found the psi rift attack you get on the final mission very handy. took out 2 sectopods in just 2 turns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

DeVore wrote: »

The ending:

I honestly wouldn't bother wasting your time with Normal Ironman. It's far far too easy. There is no challenge whatsoever and it will bore you immensely after playing Classic.

I'm working my way through Classic Ironman at the moment and while it's a different animal completely, once you manage soldier losses it's manageable. (Although I have a long way to go).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My problem with classic ironman is that on numerous occasions I moved a solider to somewhere to get a better shot at an alien HE COULD ALREADY SEE and suddenly he was blind to it. Or I'd move him to flank and find out that despite the fact that the alien is 10 years in front of him, the fact that there is a box BEHIND the alien is somehow giving him a huge cover bonus. So, if I'm going to play Ironman I think playing it on classic would wreck my head tbh. If normal is a walk in the park on Ironman, I can always up the difficulty in game anyway, but having played Classic already, I think I'd lose every soldier in my squad every time hahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

There was a handy guide posted on reddit for how cover works and line of sight, I won't post the image here because it's damn long, link instead http://i.imgur.com/eqnBg.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mantel wrote: »
    There was a handy guide posted on reddit for how cover works and line of sight, I won't post the image here because it's damn long, link instead...........

That's pretty good but does hurt my head a bit........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Quick Question, up until now I haven't been able to get or seen the Classic XCOM soldier in my barracks. I did pre-order the game and got the additional DLC so whats up with that? Do you have to do something in the game to get him?

Or is it they just give you the flat top style haircut and thats it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The DLC gives you the flat-top hairstyle and the armour colouring and alternate armour style at the bottom of the customization menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm going to use my wallet to show them what I think of their ****ty ****ing DLC's

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm going to use my wallet to show them what I think of their ****ty ****ing DLC's

...and buy everything they release for XCOM!

I'd buy DLC that fixed the bugs and the camera tbh... :)

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    The DLC gives you the flat-top hairstyle and the armour colouring and alternate armour style at the bottom of the customization menu.

Ahh ok, I thought it might have been that in the end. They advertise it though as if you get an actual soldier in the barracks that looks like the classic soldier when you start the game though.

• Advertisement

I'v been modding XCOM by adjusting the .ini files of the game, it's easy enough to adjust the values of the game if people want to make the game more challenging or balance things out a bit more: e.g iv balanced out abduction rewards by giving 5 scientists or 5 engineers instead of 4, Iv given Power Generators a power value of 10 instead of 6 to make them more useful & I'v adjusted alien attack damages so they are more dangerous when attacking etc

It's takes a teeny bit more than adjusting the .ini file but if anyone is interested you can find info on the Nexus site for XCOM. Or PM me if you want anything adjusted I should be able to send everything on (as long as it isn't a huge list :pac:)

From looking at the .ini files, it's clear they left stuff out as well for final project. They had numerous classes which didn't seem to make the cut such as as a Medic class, Hunter Class etc

They also had alot of countries in the game that were originally going to give funding but they left out, Ireland being one of them. I think these countries that do not give funding might make up part the nationalities of the soldiers you can get.

They also had alot of countries in the game that were originally going to give funding but they left out, Ireland being one of them. I think these countries that do not give funding might make up part the nationalities of the soldiers you can get.

maybe they heard about our national debt and took us out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe they heard about our national debt and took us out :D

'Ireland has left the council', and your money per month going up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

From looking at the .ini files, it's clear they left stuff out as well for final project. They had numerous classes which didn't seem to make the cut such as as a Medic class, Hunter Class etc

I hope they arent following in ME3 footsteps and holding back completed content for DLC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's slightly annoying that I don't get to customise the soldiers, but it's not €4.50 worth of annoying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

hmph just lost a long post by pressing something to go to the previous page of the thread

From what I've seen, "falling back" means they are running to alert other aliens; which is why it usually results in a renewed attack rather than a retreat.

Playing on classic. Really like it. Strugled for a bit and lost five countries early on (without losing any missions), but doing well now (building transcoder, have all available research completed, and a good squad).

So many Irish soldiers in it that I was wondering if it detects your country and gives more of the country you're from. Probably it is just a reference to the original game, which used a lot of Irish names for soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone else get like 3 female recruits for every one male?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

So many Irish soldiers in it that I was wondering if it detects your country and gives more of the country you're from. Probably it is just a reference to the original game, which used a lot of Irish names for soldiers.

i thought that too as I had one game where 60-70% of my rookies ended up irish but then the next few games i was lucky if I get 1/15 irish soldiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've done some research but I dont wanna self spoil so I need help from somebody who's beaten the game:
    3rd play through, capped three Outsiders very early in the game, now unlocked the key, AFAIK the base assault isnt the last mission. Not going in until I've gone from laser to plasma and up to titan amour but if its the end of the game I'll wait even longer. I'll have that stuff within a month-ish

Advertisement