Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just cheesed it for the first time there and reloaded a save because I couldn't stand to lose my main Sniper - Irish soldier Clare Doyle. It's daft how attached you get to your squad.

Honestly feel like I played a different game to some of you guys. They were all just pawns to me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Absolutely hate the chrysalis, definitely the most annoying enemy, they can move across half the map in one turn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

ShaneU wrote: »
    Absolutely hate the chrysalis, definitely the most annoying enemy, they can move across half the map in one turn

I used to be terrified of them. But I don't think I have ever lost a soldier to one. if you expect them keep most of the squad back, and plenty of reaction fire ready to be let loose. And even 2 or 3 charging in at once can be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Explosives help too, especially at the alien base. I got four chrysalids at once on my first playthrough and soldiers I did lose. Real wtf moment when your own guy gets up and comes back at you - it's like an episode of walking dead.

It's worth getting now if you want to get it, the Slingshot council missions can be done at anytime when a council mission is available and then the DLC adds additional armor deco's and helmets. You can pick it up from GreenmanGaming cheaper as they usually have 20-30% off coupons regularly to use against titles.

Yeah, definitely. Most addictive game I've played this year.

Some nice touches too with the standing on the shoulder of giants achievement and the name of the end game chamber being a nod to the original developers, or so Eurogamer tells me.

I started a new game too on classic. It's making me like the game more and not like it anymore at the same time. On normal no enemies really scare you after a while. On classic thin men scare me. Early on they can kill you with one shot when you're in full cover, the bendy fcukers.

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The first xcom gave me that same urge.. they finally did a good job

Woops, sorry. The above was in reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another thing X-Com has done for me is really made me want to give Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars another go on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

oh god damn it! I'm on Iron Man. Final mission. And I keep winning (I've a sniper in the air with a clear shot, a mind controlled mutant right beside the boss, 2 heavy weapons with blaster launchers at the ready, and my PSI dude with a PSI storm - all in range).

So I can reload and kill the boss, watch the final movie sequence, but each time it returns and I get the "we've lost confidence in the xcom project blah blah blah...". And I get "defeated".

This game has an awful nack of wrecking my head - but I love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385361/free-xcom-enemy-unknown-dlc-adds-16-new-game-modifiers/

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.*
    New Economy: Randomized council member funding.*
    Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.*
    Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.*
    Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier's mission stats.
    Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
    The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
    Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
    Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
    High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
    Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
    More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
    War Weariness: Funding goes down over time. **
    E-115: Elerium degrades over time. **
    Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death. **
    Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically. **

i guess for anybody who thinks classic ironman isn't hard enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

i guess for anybody who thinks classic ironman isn't hard enough
    "For when getting kicked in the balls a few times simply is not enough pain."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

awesome that patch is now updating XCOM on my steam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone know what the sales of XCOM have been like? Only figure I can find is 0.89m across all platforms but allegedly VGChartz aren't very reliable.

I'd imagine it needs to be at the 3m figure to command a sequel and maybe half of that to justify a major DLC expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

penev10 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the sales of XCOM have been like? Only figure I can find is 0.89m across all platforms but allegedly VGChartz aren't very reliable.

I'd imagine it needs to be at the 3m figure to command a sequel and maybe half of that to justify a major DLC expansion.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Is-a-Sales-Success-More-DLC-Is-Coming-in-2013-303720.shtml

“The title is proving to be a critical and commercial success,”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone know if you can pickup XCOM for PC in any Dublin Gamestop stores? (Has to be Gamestop as I have a voucher).

I'd say give them a ring and make sure ye say "PC" at least twice or they'll just say yeah c'mon down the price is right.

Zulu wrote: »
    oh god damn it! I'm on Iron Man. Final mission. And I keep winning (I've a sniper in the air with a clear shot, a mind controlled mutant right beside the boss, 2 heavy weapons with blaster launchers at the ready, and my PSI dude with a PSI storm - all in range).

So I can reload and kill the boss, watch the final movie sequence, but each time it returns and I get the "we've lost confidence in the xcom project blah blah blah...". And I get "defeated".

This game has an awful nack of wrecking my head - but I love it.

The patch with the difficulty options mentioned above should also fix that problem:
    "A couple major issues have been fixed including the AI teleport bug and the defeat screen when beating the game."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Beat the
    Alien Base Assault
    mission last night. Was a bit of a difficulty spike after just getting settled into the game. Followed by the tricky
    large ufo wreckage-investigation
    mission. The new aliens are well nasty -
    the mutons and the psychic commanders
    . Tough night but managed to get through only losing one Squaddie. What a game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Just got the game today for the xbox. Just 3 hours till i'm outta work and ready to give this some serious attention....

starting a new classic ironman with all of the new patch options enabled

this is going to hurt

--edit

omg **** this game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

this is going to hurt

--edit

omg **** this game
    hahahahahahahhahahahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

this is going to hurt

--edit

omg **** this game

i started yesterday too. first misison replied 3 times. all saves deleted as not worth saving... too big losses.

It is a lot more challanging for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Even Normal is a reasonably interesting challenge with the basic tweaks turned on. I'd gotten to building the
    hyperwave relay
    before this, but spent most of last night playing from scratch again with the extra settings. Very fun. And with a little luck you can get some very good stat increases for promoted soldiers, although chances are the other stats will suffer. Still, having a heavy with really high offense is a rare gem to be treasured, no matter how low his will or defence are.

And just finished it there. Not too shabby at all. Normal is way too easy without the Second Wave modifiers, I lost 1 rookie early on and nobody else. But Classic is actually downright unfair, so it's nice to be able to finish a game...

Just for anyone thinking about getting the Slingshot dlc. I started a game and was a month or two in and decided to get it. I didn't realise you can only access it by starting a new game so I had to start again. Annoying because I'm playing classic and it was going well.

So anyone thinking about getting it, wait until you have it before starting a campaign as you can't access it from current ones.

I thought the latest patch was supposed to fix the enemies spawning out of nowhere thing...

started a new game on classic ironman, did my very first move on the very first mission

all of a sudden six sectoids spawn right in front of my frontmost rookie and now it's the aliens turn

wtf

--edit

in the new patch satellite uplinks take 28 days to complete

what the titty****ing ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Completed Classic Ironman today and just started Impossible Ironman... first mission didn't go well already :(:D

so far every map in this playthrough has had enemies spawning in numbers right beside my units
    :/

My assault last night on a battleship-UFO did it twice, once with floaters, and again in a small room with 2 mutons and a beserker :(

Oh, how I love Overwatch.

I thought the latest patch was supposed to fix the enemies spawning out of nowhere thing...

started a new game on classic ironman, did my very first move on the very first mission

all of a sudden six sectoids spawn right in front of my frontmost rookie and now it's the aliens turn

wtf

--edit

in the new patch satellite uplinks take 28 days to complete

what the titty****ing ****

Only on marathon, the wounded are out of action longer too. tried a few run throughs on that and it was just pure evil with panic levels :D

• Advertisement

yeah, the wounded thing is a pain in the sack very early on

the game is a lot buggier now after the new patch. I have a squad of floaters that wont engage my troops, every time I move close they hop further away. they don't "reveal" themselves so they can't be targetted, I can just see their hitpoint bars off in the distance and every time I move they move further and further up the map.

im going to give it a break for a few weeks to see if they patch it again.

Advertisement