Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

so far every map in this playthrough has had enemies spawning in numbers right beside my units
    :/

I'v yet to encounter this bug but a mate of mine has got this. He took a screenshot and the amount of aliens that spawned infront of his squad was unreal (it was a crashed Battleship mission).

The only thing close iv encountered of it is when the action cam starts when you reveal a group of aliens they just automatically teleport to where they wanted to go. None have teleported beside my troops though. This happened pre-patch anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Got a few hours in over the weekend. It's brilliant although the training that "makes" you do things and tells you what to build without going crazy was a bit crap. But it's ace, love the whole little world and still only bumping into new and exciting aliens.
    Met chryssalids for the first time and wasn't happy that half my squad got turned into 8HP zombies.....
    But probably need to have a look at how best to manage resources / development etc.

Also post-patch Multiplayer seems to be working better. Managed to set up a private game with mates and it's a blast playing as the Aliens for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I'v yet to encounter this bug but a mate of mine has got this. He took a screenshot and the amount of aliens that spawned infront of his squad was unreal (it was a crashed Battleship mission).

The only thing close iv encountered of it is when the action cam starts when you reveal a group of aliens they just automatically teleport to where they wanted to go. None have teleported beside my troops though. This happened pre-patch anyway
    I don't think I Had seen it before, and then last week 3 heavy/super mutons appeared right beside my Colonel Sniper who was back at the edge of the site providing covering fire. He ran, survived the first hit and then was critically injured. He bled out in the 6 turns it took me to run the rest of the squad back to him.

Since the patch I had a sectopod (for the first time in the game) appear off screen, triggering the "wow look at that" speeches from the Scientist and Engineer. But could I actually find him to shoot at him? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

quick question here for anyone playing on the new patch

how am I supposed to afford satellites and a nexus in my second month?

the nexus now takes 28 days to complete so I gotta build it immediately and it costs 300 dollars now but I also gotta build 2-3 sattelites which take 20 days and cost 133 each

that's... impossible. am I just supposed to accept losing countries in the new patch as something that's 100% unavoidable?

you can work around it by tactically allowing countries to panic to a certain level - while fully panicked countries ala 5 levels of it should be given immediate sattelite coverage.

On abductions, choose wisely. If you get two countries with 4 panic and one with 3 you are screwed and will likely loose a country unless you've got either the sattelites to cover it or pure dumb luck enough to get a council mission removing the panic level.

Terror missions are great for dropping panic levels too, if you do it right and save 14 or more it drops panic across the country/continent.

If you're struggling for cash on marathon, sell some corpses. You'll have an abundance of them by the end of your first month.

For the moment, I would build normal Satellite Uplinks adjacent to each other until you can afford a nexus later on. The extra cash saved can buy more Satellites or even build another Uplink. If you're desperate for the cash go for money rather than Engineers and Scientists in abductions.

When I completed Classic Ironman, I had 4 uplinks and one nexus. That provided me with enough satellites for each country.

bugger i meant uplinks not nexus, I always do that

**** I shudder to think how much a satellite nexus costs in the latest patch

Just playing through the 1st time still, getting used to it from the tutorial and taking on board all the excellent advice.....
    But when i use the "hidden names" of people in my squad to make them super ace, do they have to be a support, heavy etc for it to work?
    Also, i'm afraid to sell corpses even though i have a bundle of them and have them researched. Are the ok to fire out on the grey market?

• Advertisement

PauloConn wrote: »
    Just playing through the 1st time still, getting used to it from the tutorial and taking on board all the excellent advice.....
    But when i use the "hidden names" of people in my squad to make them super ace, do they have to be a support, heavy etc for it to work?
    Also, i'm afraid to sell corpses even though i have a bundle of them and have them researched. Are the ok to fire out on the grey market?

Sometimes you need alien corpses to build stuff, for example you need sectoid corpses to build A.I.M's for your craft (and other examples). Generally though, it's ok to sell off a few corpses but always feel a few handy. There are a few alien corposes that provide no resources after you perform autopsies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

PauloConn wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by the "hidden names". All soldiers get nicknames when they reach Sergeant rank. Had an assault called Wardog :)
    But it doesn't give them any extra abilities - it's the increase in rank that does that.

You can sell a lot of those corpses. I would say hold on to some of the floater corpses though. There is a handy boost you'll unlock and you'll need them in multiples of 3.

by hidden names he means changing the name of the character to a specific name and it unlocks an easter egg character

there's a couple of them iirc, one was added with the latest patch. think it was some yankball player

Them is the ones Digby.
    Thanks for the feedback on that, can flog a few of the bodies anyway, must have about 40 so time to take them out of the locker and send them off for sale. It'll get me a few satelites or maybe even an interceptor.
    BOOM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi lads.

Just getting to the end of Far Cry 3, and was thinking of picking up Xcom next.

Anyone know of any good deals out there either online or stores for the 360 version?

Hi lads.

Anyone know of any good deals out there either online or stores for the 360 version?

£22.89 on Amazon...but you'll need to buy something else to bring it up to £25 to qualify for free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hi lads.

Cheapest I saw in a shop was Xtravision @ €39.99

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

calex71 wrote: »
    Cheapest I saw in a shop was Xtravision @ €39.99

€29.99 in gamestop. I got the last copy at my local though. :P Very addicting game!

In regards Slingshot and the council missions. Once you have the DLC and whenever you get a next council mission, it gives you the option to either start the Slingshot council missions or to choose a normal council mission. If you choose Slingshot then your next three council missions in a row will be Slingshot based council missions. The three missions happen a bit more frequently than normal ones (you'll do two of the missions in one month, maybe even all of them)

Once you finish the first council mission you get a soldier added to the barracks, unfortunately you can't customise him like other soldiers and I think he is permanently a Heavy class.

The missions are hard enough and if you choose Slingshot missions first you'll encounter Mutons, Cyberdiscs and Chrysalids earlier on in the game.

Finished the Slingshot DLC on Classic Ironman last night. I'm just at the end of the second month and I got one in the first month and two in the second. They're hard enough with basic weapons and armour alright but doable. Lost none on the first mission, one on the second and two on the third. I found the second mission the hardest though with
    the time constraint.

It is good but as has been said, it's a bit overpriced and ridiculous that you can't customise the Heavy (he's my lead soldier now too).

Question for those that have played classic, haven't built a containment facility yet but want to soon to access plasma weapons research. I'm thinking about skipping laser weapons altogether. Anyone done it on Classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just crashed on last mission (on PS3) about an hour and a bit in!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

sin0city wrote: »
    Question for those that have played classic, haven't built a containment facility yet but want to soon to access plasma weapons research. I'm thinking about skipping laser weapons altogether. Anyone done it on Classic?

Researched Beam Weapons (Laser Rifle and Laser Pistol). Didn't bother with Precision (Sniper) or Heavy Lasers. Didn't want to be too out of my depth with basic weapons just in case. But as soon as I got that researched I started going for Plasma.

Btw, G2Play selling XCOM for €22 or €26 with the Elite Soldier Pack.

Researched Beam Weapons (Laser Rifle and Laser Pistol). Didn't bother with Precision (Sniper) or Heavy Lasers. Didn't want to be too out of my depth with basic weapons just in case. But as soon as I got that researched I started going for Plasma.

Was concerned about getting too far in with basic weapons alright. Good idea, doesn't use up too many resources. Plus I think laser weapons are the coolest looking weapons in the game, apart from the plasma sniper rifle. :)

Big announcement for XCOM due soon from firaxis, possibly at PAX.

Rumours are that it's a full expansion rather than DLC, here's hoping for terror from the deep!

i dont know if I'll ever get to play it

i'm kind of at the stage where I don't want to play x-com unless i'm playing on classic ironman with all the latest patch options enabled but I'm also at the stage where I ragequit the game six missions in after losing my only god damn captain and having to start all over again

I don't think ill jump back into the game unless something substantial is announced. I did get my money's worth and the game lived well up to my expectations.

I'm just about to start an ironman classic run :)

I'm just about to start an ironman classic run :)

Best of luck, hopefully you'll pass the first mission :P

Edit: I mistook classic as Impossible, you should be fine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

here's hoping for terror from the deep!

This would make me the happiest nerd on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

sin0city wrote: »
    Finished the Slingshot DLC on Classic Ironman last night. I'm just at the end of the second month and I got one in the first month and two in the second. They're hard enough with basic weapons and armour alright but doable. Lost none on the first mission, one on the second and two on the third. I found the second mission the hardest though with
    the time constraint.

It is good but as has been said, it's a bit overpriced and ridiculous that you can't customise the Heavy (he's my lead soldier now too).

Skipped beam weapons on classic, classic ironman, impossible

Advertisement