Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've only started playing this as well since yesterday and im loving it. Ive lost some of my best guys in the last few missions though which is frustrating as hell.

It's annoying when aliens just suddenly appear at my flank and blast my guys to bits. Think i need to keep my squad closer together in future missions to provide mutual support.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Normal, if brave enough with Ironman mode.

Dudes will die period. Sacrifices in troops, funds and countries are almost necessary.
    The start will always be hard you will start to lose rating but don't lose hope and once you prioritize more later on you can get the ratings up in time.

Battle tips. Move slowly don't dash unless necessary. Half cover is almost like no cover so hunker down. Keep hunkering down. If you are sure you haven't triggered the enemy you can go on overwatch since you get a "free turn" when they detect you. Hunker down again. I personally avoid taking shots that are below 60%. Use your abilities when you can, no point hoarding them when you are dead. Remember your snipers have pistols when you can't use their main gun. Hunker down.

That's all I can think of for now. Good Luck Commander.

One more thing. Always try to count the actions of your enemy and make sure they aren't on overwatch. Dashing will help you dodge overwatch BUT don't rely on it unless you have "lightning reflexes".

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Is the playstation version any good? It's on PS+ at the minute for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

jc4517 wrote: »
    I have the PC version and its great! highly recommend it.

I haven't played it myself on the Ps3 or 360 for that matter, but a friend recommend it. Said it controls great.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

I haven't played it myself on the Ps3 of 360 for that matter, but a friend recommend it. Said it controls great.

That's what I'd be worried about, gammy controls. Have any of you played Terraria on ps, mining can be a nightmare

• Advertisement

That's what I'd be worried about, gammy controls. Have any of you played Terraria on ps, mining can be a nightmare

I find terraria controls to be great. Mining isn't that much of an issue just use the build mode cursor if you want specific blocks to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If you have a PSN+ account then its definitely worth the download anyways :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've the ps3 version and the controls are fine, I've never had a problem with them. Except when I go scouting the bounds of the map and get lost :D

I started on classic iron man but now playing on very easy iron man... I've had the
    "assault the base"
    mission for a while. Have spent time trying to bring up new recruits and do stuff in the research lab and foundry.

At least that's my excuse, I'm really just afraid to lose my soldiers!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Tempted to get this for ages. Downloading the 360 demo now. Hope I don't like it so I can forget about it!!
    I've been pondering picking up a PS3 for the exclusives and the PS+ rental thingy seems like a good investment considering this is included...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Ive got it from plus just started playing last night and love it, controls seem fine to me had loads of guys killed only 1 origional left but he is a tank :) next time will plan my moves etc better but enjoying just rampaging atm
    if u have ps+ get this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kirby wrote: »
    I got this free with Bioshock Infinite so I know I am late to the party. Started playing it the other day while waiting for the last of us to arrive and it's great!

Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe sh*t just hasn't hit the fan yet but I'm doing pretty well so far on my first playthrough. No countries have left yet, and I have a few satellites up and a few squadrons of fighters. The council have rated me at A every month :D.

Most of my originals are still alive. I have lost a few guys though. I lost my South African sniper which was a big shame, but I still have my German sniper who I've had from the start. She's the business. My 'Heavy' guy is called Thunder and the guy is a beast. He has so much health at this stage that I just send him headfirst into combat.

I have an Irish guy in my group and he has the Irish flag on his armour and gun which makes me laugh when he fires them :P.

Can somebody tell me how long the story is? I've been taking my time for sure. I've had that mission where they want you to capture that prothean looking fellow for ages....the ones that just materialise out of thin air but I always forget to stun them and just murder them instead.
    You have barely started into the story, my friend.

You need to stun those guys (1 pistol shot, then run up and Arc Shoot them). This will unlock an interrogation & new tech -- and then the REAL bastards show up.

Just wait til your first Chryssalid encounter...
    Good luck, commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You have barely started into the story, my friend.

You need to stun those guys (1 pistol shot, then run up and Arc Shoot them). This will unlock an interrogation & new tech -- and then the REAL bastards show up.

Just wait til your first Chryssalid encounter...
    Good luck, commander.

Been fighting them Chryssalids for ages. They showed up early enough for me. And the muton guys too. And the saucers. Like I said, I was putting it off capturing one for ages. Just did it there.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Kirby wrote: »
    I got this free with Bioshock Infinite so I know I am late to the party. Started playing it the other day while waiting for the last of us to arrive and it's great!

Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe sh*t just hasn't hit the fan yet but I'm doing pretty well so far on my first playthrough. No countries have left yet, and I have a few satellites up and a few squadrons of fighters. The council have rated me at A every month :D.

Most of my originals are still alive. I have lost a few guys though. I lost my South African sniper which was a big shame, but I still have my German sniper who I've had from the start. She's the business. My 'Heavy' guy is called Thunder and the guy is a beast. He has so much health at this stage that I just send him headfirst into combat.

I have an Irish guy in my group and he has the Irish flag on his armour and gun which makes me laugh when he fires them :P.

Can somebody tell me how long the story is? I've been taking my time for sure. I've had that mission where they want you to capture that prothean looking fellow for ages....the ones that just materialise out of thin air but I always forget to stun them and just murder them instead.

Heheheh... yeah, sh*t is about to hit the fan in the next few months. Good luck keeping up your A grades :)
    You've barely scratched the story so far... (its really good, but yeah... it will get a lot harder :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

DeVore wrote: »
    Heheheh... yeah, sh*t is about to hit the fan in the next few months. Good luck keeping up your A grades :)
    You've barely scratched the story so far... (its really good, but yeah... it will get a lot harder :) )

I've noticed the spike in difficulty on missions as well.

My squads getting hammered at the moment.

Lost a lot of veterans and find im going on missions now with a lot of rookies due to deaths and casualties.

Also **** Mutons. Blasting my guys dead from a massive distance is soul destroying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have to reinstall this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just encountered my first Sectopods during a large UFO infiltration.

Lost 3 men... who were in cover... in one shot.
    FFFFFF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I love re-reading peoples new experience of the game :). There is huge anguish in the game but it's very rewarding to play. Some advice on the game:
    - During tactical missions, take it slow and steady. Even if it means using Overwatch alot or only moving a few paces. Just make sure that most of your guys have a chance to shoot each turns in most times unless you know 100% it's safe.
    - Take risks but also go with your gut, if you see a chance to do something but your gut says "I don't like this ;__;" then don't do it, something more than likely will happen!
    - As DeVore said, don't research much into Laser and go into Plasma when you can. However DO research basic laser tech as Laser Rifles are needed to bridge the gap between Ballistics to Plasma. Plasma takes a while to research so if you encounter a panic situation and you only have your starting rifles... you're gonna have a bad time!
    - EMP Cannon's take down UFO's quick and won't damage it so you will receive more parts

Also, if you guys find Normal/Classic hard, wait until you try Impossible :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

DeVore wrote: »
    I toast three of them and have one alien on 3 health and a sniper like 5 squares from him and no cover and it gave me a 35% chance to hit (wtf is with that?!).

Maybe should have transitioned to the sidearm. Snipers are more inaccurate at close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Maybe should have transitioned to the sidearm. Snipers are more inaccurate at close range.

Yep it says it in the weapon description (as far as I know) for the sniper rifles that the closer you are to a target the less accuracy you have.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jaxdasher wrote: »
    .....Always try to count the actions of your enemy and make sure they aren't on overwatch. Dashing will help you dodge overwatch BUT don't rely on it unless you have "lightning reflexes".

God but I love Lightening Reflexes.....means I always have 1-2 guys who can execute a 'safe' run into position...which also wastes the enemy overwatch.

On later levels, Lightening reflexes, Rapid Fire combined with a shotgun are lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're all making me want to play this again

but i just know i'll download it all, get a few missions in.. lose my entire squad to some bull**** muton and ragequit the game shortly after when I realise I haven't got enough money for a satellite uplink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

you're all making me want to play this again

but i just know i'll download it all, get a few missions in.. lose my entire squad to some bull**** muton and ragequit the game shortly after when I realise I haven't got enough money for a satellite uplink

Pretty much done exactly this 2 days ago. Having finished it on classic, normal I cannot try and replay it without ticking Ironman on. Ironman and Rage Quit just go hand in hand:o

Still haven;t deleted it yet, so will probably drift back in again:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Even though Firaxis/2K refuse to give any info out on DLC/Expansion for XCOM, they have oddly enough advertised to hire people specifically for roles within Firaxis and on a new XCOM project.

see here

Just speculating, but it seems more and more likely that the planned DLC's are scrapped in place of a full game continuing the story on from the end of XCOM:EU

Wish i'd never seen that teaser at PAX now :/

Even though Firaxis/2K refuse to give any info out on DLC/Expansion for XCOM, they have oddly enough advertised to hire people specifically for roles within Firaxis and on a new XCOM project.

see here

Just speculating, but it seems more and more likely that the planned DLC's are scrapped in place of a full game continuing the story on from the end of XCOM:EU

Wish i'd never seen that teaser at PAX now :/

I hope its a full new game. I've read from their interviews how they want to make the game have as much value for your money as possible, they still haven't done that yet. I really hope its a big expansion pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I miss my UFO: Enemy Unknown tactics.

Day 1
    • Hire six more soldiers to fill the Skyranger
    • Remove all guns and ammo from said Skyranger
    • Purchase many High Explosives and Grenades

Day 2
    • Detect UFO
    • Intercept UFO with Skyranger
    • Equip all soldiers with High Explosives and Grenades
    • Go ham
    • Get promotions so shooting stats increase

Day 3
    • ????

Day 4
    • Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yay Steamplay enabled! I can finally play this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah just seen that, apparently the multiplayer is cross platform for mac and pc too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Just have to say....love this game. I've lost Australia, but I got a grip back on them and nearly have full coverage now.

I found that moving at a nice pace through the story helped me no end. I pissed about a lot at the start, but now I feel I have some level of control (just after building the gollop, but need a higher level psyker....)

PS my Irish sniper angel of death rules. Jet packs, double tap, over watch. Amazing. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

As soon as I get my new pc this is the first game going back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Has anyone had any success with the Multi-Player on this game? Myself and DeVore tried to get a game going yesterday and it wasn't playing ball at all. I may do a reinstall and see, I'm reasonably certain the problem was on my end and I remember I installed some mods before that stopped me progressing past the alien base incursion.

Advertisement