Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I hate when you lose your best guys :(.

Who had 8 days, 3 minutes in the sweepstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

after all the hassle i've had trying to live through 3 months of x-com classic, i dont know if i'll ever bother with the dlc

normal just feels like cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

jaxdasher wrote: »

they've had this in the pipe for a long time, i hope so too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's something rage-inducing about games that use probability to determine the outcome.

It always feels like the %'s are about 10% lower than they say they are.

Cracking game though. As you can tell by the fact that it's 2:20 on a Tuesday and I've just prised myself away.

I love me a global domination type game. There was a cracking little version in the expansion to Command and Conquer 3.
    It was like Risk but you could also go into individual missions and play like normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gbear wrote: »
    There's something rage-inducing about games that use probability to determine the outcome.

It always feels like the %'s are about 10% lower than they say they are.
    Even though you're right beside me, I missed the point of your post.

:pac:

what difficulty are you playing on? Seems a lot more inaccurate on the harder ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

what difficulty are you playing on? Seems a lot more inaccurate on the harder ones.

I said I'd start off on normal.
    It's been fairly tough by comparison to most normal difficulties.

One thing that might explain it - do the Floaters have an extra dodge chance? Because they unlock a dodge powerup for your aircraft when you interrogate them (I think).

I'll certainly play again from the start at some point. I'm not sure will I ever do the Ironman mode though. That sounds like an ordeal.

Floaters if they are at a higher elevation, have a better chance of hitting you than you them. Ye should try ironman on easy first. I'm still doing hit and runs on classic, and it's just cruel whenever i get an Irish soldier. Cannon fodder. So many ragequits and restarts lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

I once started a game on Classic with a squad comprised entirely of Irish rookies. I want to know what member of the Shadowy Council of Doom (tm) approved that deployment order...

"We're sending in our best and brightest..."
    "Feck sake! Look at the light-bulb head on that one!"
    "....The world is doomed, commander."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Quatermain wrote: »
    I once started a game on Classic with a squad comprised entirely of Irish rookies.

I completed the game without getting any Irish soldiers, and I had a few dozen troops.

If one of the soldiers says 'I don't think we are alone here' during the aliens' movement phase, I rename him to Sherlock Holmes if he survives the battle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This game is far too addictive :D.

Polar101 wrote: »
    If one of the soldiers says 'I don't think we are alone here' during the aliens' movement phase, I rename him to Sherlock Holmes if he survives the battle.

"My dear Watson, it is extraterrestrial."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

This game is far too addictive :D.

Brings out the childish turn off the console side of me. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Day[9] playd X-Com as part of his weekly "...Day Off" series.
    In this series he spends all day Friday playing games other than StarCraft 2. He usually goes into the games not knowing much more than the game-type and/or popular opinion on the game.
    7 parts released on youtube so far (approx 30 mins each) 3-4 parts more to be posted up. His mate JP pesuaded him to do X-Com but didn't tell him much.

Part 4 and 5 are worth a watch......for the inevitable "Red Wedding-like" speechless reaction.....followed by the sullen acceptance of defeat.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NL9k1mIXo
    Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M-_cL7OWjY
    Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1uRneao1Y

"It's like a turn based horror game with Aliens""

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

05:20 of video 5

i've made that exact face so many times playing this game...

and it was usually during that mission too
    hate that mission

the Firaxis/2K booth at gamescom has this impressive looking game on it.

There's still loads of speculation as to wether it's an expansion, dlc or a standalone game.

bildvonxcom_898594.jpg

source

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I see a heavy, sniper and an assault. And two guys with pistols. Am I reading too much into that to be thinking new class?

There are rumours flying about a mech-trooper class. Also, upgrades which include cybernetics and genetic modifications to your soldiers.

The XCOM logo in the picture apparently has "Bellator in Machina" in place of Vigilo Confido, which lends more credence to that rumour. Apparently meaning Machine Warrior, or Warrior in the Machine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Orim wrote: »
    I see a heavy, sniper and an assault. And two guys with pistols. Am I reading too much into that to be thinking new class?

Snipers with Snap Shot instead of Squad Sight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Tenger wrote: »
    Snipers with Snap Shot instead of Squad Sight?

Pfft, I'll believe in aliens before I believe in snap shot snipers :pac:

Here's some official news on it

Edit: and the Release date

November 12th

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Lot of additional information here too:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-tons-of-details

Includes a new enemy type, new soldier class and skill tree, new grenades, maps and a new form of currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good watch about it. CANT WAIT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Flamethrowers? I'm sold!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looking forward to this :D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm in the middle of a classic iron man run right now, so the timing of this is brilliant :D Can't wait to see this expansion in action.

I'm still hopeful for a level/scenario editor ala Shadowrun Returns.

I absolutely adore the farmyard map.

"Maw! Them cotton-pickin' grey things is in the hayloft agin!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played a bit of this on my sons xbox a borrowed game ,only played 30 mins or so but its one ive always meant to get into [too many games at the moment] Any good deals for it now?

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Played a bit of this on my sons xbox a borrowed game ,only played 30 mins or so but its one ive always meant to get into [too many games at the moment] Any good deals for it now?

if you've a pc or a laptop capable of playing it, now's the best time to get it. It and it's dlc's were part of the XCOM collection for preordering The bureau. You might even get a copy on these very forums if you ask nicely or have something to trade for it via steam etc..
    Aside from that it's around 30 quid on it's own, but could be more or less for consoles. I'd personally highly recommend it. Hundreds of Hours of fun

Advertisement