Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

if you've a pc or a laptop capable of playing it, now's the best time to get it. It and it's dlc's were part of the XCOM collection for preordering The bureau. You might even get a copy on these very forums if you ask nicely or have something to trade for it via steam etc..
    Aside from that it's around 30 quid on it's own, but could be more or less for consoles. I'd personally highly recommend it. Hundreds of Hours of fun

Yep monster PC here :)

I have steam codes from the EA games humble bundle to trade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Was 10 dollars somewhere, maybe check reddit.com/r/gamedeals

very good incarnation, the original from the 90's is considered one of the, if not best PC games ever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dcully wrote: »
    Yep monster PC here :)

I have steam codes from the EA games humble bundle to trade :)

hell, i'll give ye a straight swap right now, full xcom collection for the full humble bundle if you're interested

Just bought it on get games for €9.99

Not to worry :) Have fun with it dude, and let us know how you get on after your first devastating loss! Remember to use cover and overwatch as much as possible :)

• Advertisement

A crap sorry mate i didnt see your offer until now.

Jaysus didnt know the game had multiplayer,is it any good?

Dcully wrote: »
    Jaysus didnt know the game had multiplayer,is it any good?

in over 400 hours played, I've never tried it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Yeah, I think it's excellent. One of the best multiplayers I've played, although it's been a while since I played it. From what I remember each side has x number of points to spend on their team. All game units are available in the unranked matches but in the ranked matches the points are limited so some units are out.

You never know what sort of team you're going to face so it keeps it interesting. You only have a certain amount of time for each turn too which heightens the tension. You can't ponder your moves for ten minutes like you would in single player.
    Level playing field every time too so no matter how late you come to it you're not at a disadvantage.

Works perfectly on PS3. Not sure about PC though, I think there were some posts earlier in the thread where people experienced problems with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sin0city wrote: »

Following on from the discussion above (about why would you not take Squad Sight for snipers....) I liek this element of change mentioned in the quoted article: Speaking of rebalances, as someone who's played more than 250 hours of Enemy Unknown, I've established patterns in the abilities I choose for my soldiers. I always take Lightning Reflexes for my Assault troops in order to nullify the enemy's overwatch, I always take Sprinter for my Support troops to increase their mobility, and I almost always take Squad Sight for my Snipers. The alternatives to those choices - Up Close and Personal, Covering Fire, and Snap Shot - weren't even contenders.

I agree. Reflexes and Sprinter were automatics for me and my playstyle. (I took Squad sight 66-80% of the time)

In Enemy Within, the balance changes make that an extremely difficult choice. Instead of simply increasing your critical chance, Up Close and Personal will now give your Assault class a completely free shot when within four tiles of an enemy, allowing him or her to run in, take a shot, and run out. And rather than waiting for the enemy to take a shot before returning fire, Covering Fire will now take a shot before an attacking enemy, giving you a chance to kill them before they can even inflict damage! For the Sniper, Snap Shot has had its aim penalty reduced from 20 to 10, and Squad Sight (incredibly powerful in Enemy Unknown) will now only do critical damage if you use the Headshot ability, reducing its effectiveness a bit. All of the sudden those two decisions have gone up there to the toughest of any ability choices, meaning I'll want to maintain at least one of each type of each class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

Anyone reccommend some good mods? Just got this for the PC after having it on the 360. I'll go for the texture mods but there are a few rebalancing mods out there. The 'Warspace extension' seems to be the most popular but after looking at the changes I feel that it might make the game a bit easier. Has this been other peoples experience or am I wrong? I have completed the game on Classic a few times now on the 360 so I'm looking for a bit more of a challenge (without going to impossible! - too hard)

have you tried the second wave options?

I'd suggest those before you try mods. Otherwise get yourself long war

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

have you tried the second wave options?

I'd suggest those before you try mods. Otherwise get yourself long war

Cool. I'll check it out. Yeah i did a few of the 2nd wave options, mostly the random stats, cash bonus ones

give marathon a shot if you haven't already, it changes the game enough to make it tactically different to standard playthroughs with budgeting and injured soldier downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

if you've a pc or a laptop capable of playing it, now's the best time to get it. It and it's dlc's were part of the XCOM collection for preordering The bureau. You might even get a copy on these very forums if you ask nicely or have something to trade for it via steam etc..
    Aside from that it's around 30 quid on it's own, but could be more or less for consoles. I'd personally highly recommend it. Hundreds of Hours of fun
    It's free on PS+ for another 11 months (and you still can play it as long as you keep your subscription up).

Oh, and this month you can buy 15 months of PS+ for the price of 12... :D

2K at pax this evening are streaming live on twitch, the Firaxis panel is in 15 minutes. They've promised some new footage of Enemy Within. Should be worth a look if you're having a dull saturday night like me :)

stream

new trailer :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jeez, i'm having a hard time with this, even on normal. Going up against those robot disc death machine things, and getting hammered now. Thinking i picked bad research options, as i've still not got any plasma weapons or psionics. Almost tempted to restart it, and try pick a better research route.

Also, missing a 90% shot with 3 people in a row is quite possibly the most frustrating thing in the world :mad:

Havent played this yet since i bought it 2 weeks a go, FF XIV online has me by the short n curleys but definitely plan to get stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've just got back into this after a little (the last of) hiatus, how do I find out which autopsies I've performed? Also, is there any benefit to performing an autopsy on the same alien type twice?

• Advertisement

you cant do the same autopsy twice, each one gives specific benefits. You can review the completed autopsies just below where you start new research.

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I've just got back into this after a little (the last of) hiatus, how do I find out which autopsies I've performed? Also, is there any benefit to performing an autopsy on the same alien type twice?

You can get the "We have ways" continent bonus too which gives instant autopsies.

As South America is only 2 countries and research time is particularly valuable early on, it can be a good strategy to let South Ameria go towards panic. It'll only cost you 2 satellites to fix and you'll get the bonus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Q_Ball wrote: »
    If it is not an research option then you have completed it.

A tip would be to complete Muton autopsy ASAP...it then gives a bonus to Plasma research.....

On another note; I have been watching a few playthroughs online (my PC is currently in hospital) Does anyone else here colour code their troops according to their specialty? I find it handy to visually set up my squad.
    (Red-Heavy, Dark Green-Assault, White-Support, Black-Sniper, Yellow-Rookie)

Tenger wrote: »
    If it is not an research option then you have completed it.

A tip would be to complete Muton autopsy ASAP...it then gives a bonus to Plasma research.....

On another note; I have been watching a few playthroughs online (my PC is currently in hospital) Does anyone else here colour code their troops according to their specialty? I find it handy to visually set up my squad.
    (Red-Heavy, Dark Green-Assault, White-Support, Black-Sniper, Yellow-Rookie)

Yes. Same as yours for sniper and support but I leave the rookies default (third classic ironman attempt so they're often not round that long) and have my assaults red and heavy green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No point customising the cannon fodder, they have to earn it by not sucking in combat long enough to get at least one promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Any price for xcom enemy within dlc?

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Any price for xcom enemy within dlc?

guessing around the same as brave new world for Civ V - 29.99 but i could be wrong.

guessing around the same as brave new world for Civ V - 29.99 but i could be wrong.
    Woah. Is it a stand alone or something? Damn.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Woah. Is it a stand alone or something? Damn.

Stand alone disc on console and expansion on PC I think.

• Advertisement

sin0city wrote: »
    Stand alone disc on console and expansin on PC I think.

Oh what? I'll have to buy the game again? Including dlc I already have!? I think I found what you are talking about, it includes dlcs on disc. I'm on ps3. That's bs. Forgive me for saying so.

Advertisement