Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Iv just been playing through the demo on steam and decided to use an xbox controller and i really like how it controls, kinda surprised how well it works and also really enjoying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Iv just been playing through the demo on steam and decided to use an xbox controller and i really like how it controls, kinda surprised how well it works and also really enjoying it

Yeah it doesn't seem to need any twitch skills or precision to play. I may buy a controller just so I can lay in bed and play this on my laptop :pac: I'm getting excited now

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh god oh god oh god.... *hyperventilating*...

This snuck up on me, I was a total Enemy Unknown junkie and in fact everyone in my flat was and we played it literally 24/7 ... the computer was never turned off, effectively. I love the remake, and I think the streamlining they have done should work
    (smaller tighter squads, better cover system, one base of operations etc).
    I like the cinematic elements of it too.

Its a Pre-purchase for me after playing the demo... all the sequels were not a patch on the original imho. Oh and in case like me you remember it as "UFO: Enemy Unknown" back in the day, in north america it was apparently released as X-COM: UFO Defense. Which is just dumb. :)

Roll on Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

DeVore wrote: »

This snuck up on me, I was a total Enemy Unknown junkie and in fact everyone in my flat was and we played it literally 24/7 ... the computer was never turned off, effectively. I love the remake, and I think the streamlining they have done should work

Its a Pre-purchase for me after playing the demo... all the sequels were not a patch on the original imho. Oh and in case like me you remember it as "UFO: Enemy Unknown" back in the day, in north america it was apparently released as X-COM: UFO Defense. Which is just dumb. :)

Roll on Friday!

They really, really have done the original justice. It's a proper sequel. It feels like it has a soul, like the original had. It managed to introduce new elements & stand on its own two feet very well, whilst staying faithful to the first X-com.

I never played x-com when it was released in '92, only started playing it in the last two years or so and I'd rank it as most certainly the best strategy game ever made, and quite possibly one of the best overall games ever made.

I'm playing on Ironman Classic mode, and it surpasses the challenge of the original imo due to the necessity to rank up soldiers, and smaller squad sizes.

There's only a few elements I have mixed feelings about. The strategic layer doesn't feel like it has the freedom of the original... even though in practicality it does. I'm also not mad about how the aliens just sit and wait for you most missions. In saying that I can see why they did it. It forces you to be aggressive and scout rather than sit back behind a wall of over-watch. I'd just like if it was mixed up a bit more.

Edit: You also have to give Firaxis a thumbs up for thinking to include the Irish armed forces in the X-com project. Lucy O' Malley is a beast of a sniper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Played the demo, really like it! Dammit this month will have me skint!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Roll on Friday!
    I'm a sad bunny, played it for 3+ hours in the US early yesterday......loved it.
    (have a few niggling gripes but that's just the nostalgia talking)

Am now stuck with waiting till Friday until I can play again....I can see the saved game file on my laptop hard drive but can't open the game........had hoped the US 9th Oct install would circumvent the EU release date.......Oh Well...........that is X-Com Baby!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My heart bleeds for you. Bleeeeeeds :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

less than 24 hours to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Fsck. 24 hours to find my credit card. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just read on IGN that there are hidden "hero characters" in the game that are unlocked by renaming your squad members. They will automatically disable achievements if you use them though :D

http://m.ie.ign.com/wikis/xcom-enemy-unknown/Cheats_and_Unlockables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm a sad bunny, played it for 3+ hours in the US early yesterday......loved it.
    (have a few niggipes but that's just the nostalgia talking)

Am now stuck with waiting till Friday until I can play again....I can see the saved game file on my laptop hard drive but can't open the game........had hoped the US 9th Oct install would circumvent the EU release date.......Oh Well...........that is X-Com Baby!

If you activated the game in the US try starting Steam in Offline mode. Pretty sure that should work for you. Works for me anyway - got another few hours in last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Definitely picking this up as the original is something I overlooked all those years ago. I actually got it for the Amiga but considering I was 11 at the time it got all of about 5 minutes of play before the confusion became overwhelming and I went back to sensible world of soccer or something!! :p

Anyway question for anyone who has possibly tried both or a good bit of the console version. This is the type of game I would normally pick up on the PC for obvious reasons but I do love playing games relaxing downstairs on the PS3 also for very different but equally obvious reasons. So is the PC version definitely the better choice visually and control wise or does the console version hold up well?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Anyone know what price the console version will be in shops?. Online the cheapest I found is amazon at €47.20 ( I also looked at zavvi, thehut, sendit, play, cdwow).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Console version would hold up very well. In fact, controls on PC are a little weird and not very intuitive. Console scheme is actually better imo. I got PC version for future mods as I think potential for mods on this game will be fantastic, however I'm using an xbox360 control on the pc so get best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

anyone know if tesco will be selling it at 12 tonight? i finish work around then & wouldnt mind picking it up if its out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Played about an hour of it on PC last night, I like it so far. Got an Irish recruit early on, but she bit the dust :(
    Your troops seem just as mortal as they were in the old games, but it's even a bit more dangerous because of the smaller team size (just 4-6 soldiers)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

madrab wrote: »
    anyone know if tesco will be selling it at 12 tonight? i finish work around then & wouldnt mind picking it up if its out

Doubt it as it is not a 'Big name' release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

What's the cheapest place selling steam keys at the moment?
    I'd love to have this preloading tonight for Friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TomCo wrote: »
    What's the cheapest place selling steam keys at the moment?
    I'd love to have this preloading tonight for Friday.

€29.95 from some site here. Not too sure about them. G2Play have it for €36 though, and they are all good.

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-xcom-enemy-unknown-375

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I think G2Play said that they won't release the key until the game is released. I would have bought from them if that weren't the case but I wanted to be sure I got my pre-order goodies and had the game pre-loaded so I just bought it on steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

longest day ever...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think G2Play said that they won't release the key until the game is released. I would have bought from them if that weren't the case but I wanted to be sure I got my pre-order goodies and had the game pre-loaded so I just bought it on steam.

Really? First time i've heard of them doing that. I've pre-ordered from them before, and i always get the key in advance. Definitely wouldn't pre-order it from them if they didn't send it out straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This all sounds wonderfully encouraging. I've been a massive fan of the X-COM games for something like 20 years now. I've been playing UFO to keep me ticking over until this comes out and despite the dated visuals, it's still awesomely immersive (and, during the alien's turn, terrifying as you notice corners you hadn't checked and windows someone could shoot out of).

I freaking loved Terror From The Deep when it came out, better lighting and freakier enemies and a couple of Lovecraft references made it even scarier. And bloody tough. I wonder, if this reboot does well enough, will they consider remaking TFTD? The technology to create a decent underwater game is there. I'd play the hell out of it.

I'd really love to see an X-com Apocalypse Remake. I might be a heathen but it's the one I played first and enjoy the most :). Has a very cyberpunk feel to it as well when you play it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Having had no real desire to buy this game until I saw some video reviews,I'm now very tempted to buy this :eek:

Kiith wrote: »
    Really? First time i've heard of them doing that. I've pre-ordered from them before, and i always get the key in advance. Definitely wouldn't pre-order it from them if they didn't send it out straight away.

I just checked the site now. It doesn't seem to say this anymore and they have the pre-order goodies too so it should be grand to pre-order from G2Play now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Roll on Friday!

Played a ridiculous amount of UFO: Enemy Unknown back in the day (and several times since), but Terror From The Deep is a better game.

Enemy Unknown was just too easy.

TFTD does have some flaws (Research Bugs and required aliens not appearing after a while), but it's so much more challenging and enjoyable.

Playing through again at the moment and I'm on the second level of an Alien Colony to get me some Lobsterman Commanders.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's unlocking at exactly midnight according to my Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

anyone playing the original to pass the hours...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I could never get into Terror from the Deep. It seemed identical to the original with just a new tileset which I personally didn't like

Advertisement