Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as soon as I activated the beacon I ended up with only 3 soldiers left 1 assault and 2 snipers, all 3 of whom needed to reload before they could shoot

so I spent t he next 4 turns just running back to the extraction point, hoping i'd always land outside the chryssalids range.was horrible tense ****

I picked the EW second wave option that randomises some of the upgrade paths. I haven't had a support that got the 3 medivac option yet, it's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

^^^^ for Tenger

Feck that for effort. 2nd time on that I brought an expendable rookie with me who bravely dashed to the beacon as all others started a tactical withdrawal!

As soon as he hit the button the rest of my lads were sprinting for it except for a sniper who never even left the extraction area and was there for emergency

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Patser shows us the proper mindset to play EW.

"Its the defense of the Earth...you should be proud to give your life for your birthworld!!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how many damn men can the exalt field at any one time, christ

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've found on the exalt maps where there are two objectives (first one, then the other)... they swarm REALLY fast on the first one. Its very hard to keep if you arent tooled up.

Quick sneaky tip for later on... if you have a guy in there contesting the site, it is a stalemate and it wont count down. If that guy happens to be wearing mimetic skin... well, bully for him eh? :)

I sat one guy in there, hunkering down all day and the rest of my snipers sitting a mile off on top of a house pinging them to death. Worth a shot!

The trick with mimetic skin is that they can move anywhere invisibly if their starting point wasnt being observed. If it IS being observed but, well, someone happens to shoot the observer being the guy moves... bully for him again :)
    I ended up moving one space just to get back into camouflage again quite a bit! Once in camo, it doesnt break even if 6 guys are all standing around you :) ... just dont put your guy on overwatch! (or, like me, use an Assault who has a twitchy finger if anyone comes within 4 squares of him).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Aye, mimetic skin was quite useful for holding a point. I'd keep someone with it at the objective, just holding and hunkering down.

I love the Mecs, find it great fun using the Kinetic Strike Module to punch Mutons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Angron wrote: »
    Aye, mimetic skin was quite useful for holding a point. I'd keep someone with it at the objective, just holding and hunkering down.

I love the Mecs, find it great fun using the Kinetic Strike Module to punch Mutons :D

have ye gotten the cinematic kill for killing a muton berserker with kinetic strike?

iirc it needs to have a few points of damage done to it first before you can onehit it for that cine, it's awesome though!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are a couple of those cines and they're all great! I loved them.
    Last game I went through either punching everything to death or using that 3-damage shot that removes cover. Man, at the start I thought "wtf with this weak-assed shot" but it really is incredibly useful either for removing cover from groups, or for those times when you absolutely definitely have to do a couple of points of damage and dont want to risk the RNG :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

have ye gotten the cinematic kill for killing a muton berserker with kinetic strike?

iirc it needs to have a few points of damage done to it first before you can onehit it for that cine, it's awesome though!

There's ones for the Mechtoid and the Sectopod as well. The sectopod's death explosion will still inflict damage (5 iirc) on your MEC Trooper though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

yep, the best one though, has to be the berserker.. it's just.. awesome! :D haha, especially when it's your last turn and the berserker has a tonne of health left, you've got your mec heavily damaged and no ammo left.. fcuk it, momma said knock you out.. Bam! and then rewarded with an epic bone crunching joy squealing kinetic punch cinematic kill :D

love that one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

First time I got that cinematic kill on the Berserker, I thought it'd gone wrong cause it struck me first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

yep, the best one though, has to be the berserker.. it's just.. awesome! :D haha, especially when it's your last turn and the berserker has a tonne of health left, you've got your mec heavily damaged and no ammo left.. fcuk it, momma said knock you out.. Bam! and then rewarded with an epic bone crunching joy squealing kinetic punch cinematic kill :D

love that one :)

I think I prefer the Sectopod sequence. The thing is so deadly in EW that watching a MEC smack it about like a punchbag is one of the best things I've ever seen in a game.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Was on my first playthrough of EW so my first experience of
    the attack on the XCOM base.

Saved and exited. Came back to play it, file will not load.
    I think it's corrupted and I've only one save because it's ironman. :( After playing through EU on N/I and C/I I don't think I've the heart to start another game.

Was there any new content after that mission anyway?

So.. i managed to get this done today in a normal ironman game, even got it on twitch :D

5F574640E0834ED2C183DF47C292E3C24E74CB56

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Impressive mission

first time I've ever managed to get them all (in like over 600 hours played)- i'm gonna blow my own trumpet here too and tell ye there was a sectopod and a cyberdisc in that mission too :)

Cheers dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

first time I've ever managed to get them all (in like over 600 hours played)- i'm gonna blow my own trumpet here too and tell ye there was a sectopod and a cyberdisc in that mission too :)

Cheers dude :)

Was just about to ask if the base game of this was worth €6, I think that question has been answered.. :P

EDIT: Patiently awaiting an instal :D

So playing away, literally no idea what I'm doing overall lost a soldier and rescued some scientist. Afraid to keep it up over the next few days as I'm smack bang in the middle of exams

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Mother of God, 1st go at this and i got so many people killed they had to shut me down, safer with the other lads running things

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I started this again last night and it froze on me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

marko93 wrote: »
    Afraid to keep it up over the next few days as I'm smack bang in the middle of exams

Don't worry about those, the world will always need burger-flippers. You have a planet to save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I've managed to put X-Com off, but as of 12:00 I'm a free man. X-Com binge will commence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just a heads up, Enemy Within is cheap on Amazon.com at approx €7.24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Played a little of this a while back. Got EW cheap last week. Do you guys use any mods on this for the camera ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Picked up Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within for a tenner on the steam sale at the weekend on a whim. Haven't really played one of these Turn based squad games since playing the WH40K games back in my Amiga days, never played the original XCOM.

Found my new time sink! Rediscovered the reason why I had about 5 save discs for the Amiga for these games.

Doing my first playthrough Normal but I think I have out-levelled many of the main missions already. Did a DLC mission where you get access to better weapons early on and it seams I may be a bit OP. Did lose 2 countries and a few close squadwipes early on but have much better feel for the game now unless I get hit with an unlucky crit I don't seem to lose many squaddies anymore.

Do the main missions get very hard at any stage? Have just done the Alien Base assault without losing anybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Do the main missions get very hard at any stage? Have just done the Alien Base assault without losing anybody.
    On Normal not really; you WILL lose 1 guy on the final mission (you'll know why and when once you get there) but that's more annoying than hard as long as you don't play stupidly. Enemy Within also have one or two gut kicking missions in it like that but if you want a real challenge the answer is Iron Man...

it's pretty easy on normal, classic is a true challenge, in fact it's incredibly hard

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I'm kinda debating aright whether to restart on classic altogether to not spoil any further missions for myself because it is too easy with my tech. Pity there wasnt a way to turn your Normal game into Ironman-Normal, as I had reloaded a couple of the early missions.

Might just bump it up to Classic for the time being and if I can get through to the end I will set up an Ironman game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Finished my first play-through in 27 hours.

Not bad.

Once you get the advantage weapon wise, it's hard to lose any mission. The only thing that can take you down is mind-controlled allies.

Nody wrote: »
    On Normal not really; you WILL lose 1 guy on the final mission (you'll know why and when once you get there) but that's more annoying than hard as long as you don't play stupidly. Enemy Within also have one or two gut kicking missions in it like that but if you want a real challenge the answer is Iron Man...
    Urk??

I did the final mission without losing a man.... *confused*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DeVore wrote: »
    Urk??

I did the final mission without losing a man.... *confused*
    You must have gotten lucky then :). You have the location
    with dual Sectopods which alway, always, appear to home in and beam down one person :(
    . Of course
    you could argue the ending was the back up answer as you always lose your psy soldier to the explosion

Spoilers are about the final mission inc. the completion.

Advertisement