Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TotalBiscuit seems to be in Love with it

"Flawed Gem"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Caved in and got this today, I have no willpower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Get TotalBiscuit away from this thread immediately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Grimebox wrote: »

thread needs more 2gd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Each to their own, I've never played XCom, he gives a decent analysis of the games, whether you agree with or like his humour/opinions or not

I'll probably get it look at this, maybe not at full price though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I could never get into Terror from the Deep. It seemed identical to the original with just a new tileset which I personally didn't like

But melee weapons and flying Chryssalids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I didn't know the chrysallids were chryssalids due to the new design. I only realised once it had charged halfway across the map and ganked the sarge in one hit.

The heavy weapons guy & sniper thought the best way to then deal with the situation was to evacuate the contents of their bowels into their spiffy futuristic pants and proceed to take turns shooting at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Each to their own, I've never played XCom, he gives a decent analysis of the games, whether you agree with or like his humour/opinions or not

He does, but he can also be full of sh1t too. Spotted on a few of his videos that he doesnt actually know what he's talking about sometimes and bluffs his way through, then claims to be fan of a franchise and messes up on something that an arsebackwards fan who only just played the game for 10 minutes would have sussed.

I don't dislike the guy, he's funny at times, and gives a good idea of wtf the game is. There are far worse people out there than him, and he does say that he's not a reviewer so i can deal with his opinion and sometimes his bullsh1t a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Going to be a good weekend once this goes live. cant wait to get stuck into it

me too, only 2 hours to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

me too, only 2 hours to go :)

I can guarantee it will be a staggered launch. Any game I've waited for I had to wait almost 2 hours after the so-called launch time before I could have a go.

really regretting buying food this week :( and next week i'll have to choose between this and dishonored

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

really regretting buying food this week :( and next week i'll have to choose between this and dishonored

Buy X-Com, rent Dishonored.

i'm a card carrying member of the pc gaming master race

i'm a card carrying member of the pc gaming master race

Get XCOM, do it.
    Ye can pick up dishonored later, besides ye know yourself xcom has years worth of replayability almost guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Just played the demo and even though it's very short I know I'm going to love the game so dishonoured is on the list for a future purchase for now!

Question: I've never played any of the older games but I will pick it up quickly and love a solid challenge. Should I start on normal or jump straight into classic? Will be playing Ironman regardless!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Just played the demo and even though it's very short I know I'm going to love the game so dishonoured is on the list for a future purchase for now!

Question: I've never played any of the older games but I will pick it up quickly and love a solid challenge. Should I start on normal or jump straight into classic? Will be playing Ironman regardless!

What the difference between them?

depends on how much of an emotional attachment you have with your squadies, i'll be going normal to start with, and get a feel for it before i start self flagellating with ironman :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how much will this be for pc in gamestop does anyone know?

39.97 on gamestop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

What the difference between them?

Difficulty levels. Normal seems to be for players new to Xcom. Still decently hard by the sounds of it but nowhere near as unforgiven as Classic which is aimed towards veteran Xcom players. Ironman is a mode for either difficulty which doesn't allow saving or re-loading. You just have your auto save so you can't reload after losing an entire squad or messing up a mission.

Someone who has played Xcom will be able to explain it much better though!

Leaning towards Ironman normal for my first play-through.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    anyone playing the original to pass the hours...
    Got it on Steam for 5 Euro about a week ago....awesome....even i it is in windowed mode.
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Going to be a good weekend once this goes live. cant wait to get stuck into it
    AM away for work on Sat. Overnight stay....I predict very little sleep will be had while alone in my hotel room with X-Com!!!!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Difficulty levels. Normal seems to be for players new to Xcom. Still decently hard by the sounds of it but nowhere near as unforgiven as Classic which is aimed towards veteran Xcom players. Ironman is a mode for either difficulty which doesn't allow saving or re-loading. You just have your auto save so you can't reload after losing an entire squad or messing up a mission.

Someone who has played Xcom will be able to explain it much better though!

Leaning towards Ironman normal for my first play-through.

So you can't revert to a previous save whatsoever in ironman? Hmmm seems a tad extreme. I like the idea of being unable to save during a mission as frankly the old game was ruined if you did this. I've seen youtube clips of people reloading until they get the perfect shots every time. I may have to give a shot on classic ironman with many restarts of the whole game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So you can't revert to a previous save whatsoever in ironman? Hmmm seems a tad extreme. I like the idea of being unable to save during a mission as frankly the old game was ruined if you did this. I've seen youtube clips of people reloading until they get the perfect shots every time. I may have to give a shot on classic ironman with many restarts of the whole game.
    There's an option for this in Mount and Blade too, I found it really added to the game. I can't trust myself not to reload when something goes badly wrong :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

39.97 on gamestop.ie

Now just too resist temptation :-D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So you can't revert to a previous save whatsoever in ironman? Hmmm seems a tad extreme. ........

Hence the term 'Ironman'

Now live on Steam and apparently there's a patch coming across all platforms already.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Xcom Xcom Xcom, what about Frozen Synapse, Xcom done right.

ED E wrote: »
    Xcom Xcom Xcom, what about Frozen Synapse, Xcom done right.

They're both excellent in their own ways.

• Advertisement

just stopped playing it now when i realised the time.. :eek: so bloody addictive!

Advertisement