Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are there a lot of bugs in the pc version?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ED E wrote: »
    Xcom Xcom Xcom, what about Frozen Synapse, Xcom done right.

Been playing FS for the last week... such a great game !!

Steam - Pre-Load game, takes less time to download it than to unlock it !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Nooooo!!!

I got an irish rookie and lvled him up to assault, was very chuffed to have an irishman on my team...

then the very next mission he is gunned down by an outsider :(

natioanl pride was wounded that day.

On the flip side I have a Chinese sniper who is an absolute beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

didnt notice any last night at all, was really smooth.

Just realised, all my squad are from south american countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Had my first Terror Mission last night :eek:

I think I'm a bit behind in research my guys still have basic armour and regular weapons - lasers not available yet.

Not sure if the below is spoiler-worthy - its just a recounting of something that happened last night, but spoilering anyway in case someone doesn't want to know about different alien types before encountering them.
    This is not a good position to be in when first encounting crysalids - they are terrifyingly deadly. They run around the map turning civilians (or your squad) into zombies who eventually burst and produce new crysalids, so unless you can take them quickly they'll soon be in overwhelming numbers (and even one is a pain to deal with). I had to rocket one with my heavy (after already softening it up with assault and sniper fire), taking out 3 civilians in the blast. That was difficult to swallow, but I reasoned it would be better to kill 3 civilians in order to take out one crysalid than allow it to infect them in the following turns and put the other 15-odd civilians on the map at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

some, but nothing show stopping

I had issues with the base not displaying any tabs for the different departments

also the FMV sequences in battle after a move can be a bit hit and miss, but didn't like them so I disabled them, a few other minor bugs but nothing too serious

now lets hope Firaxis turn their attention to doing a proper Syndicate game :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well I Took the plunge and brought it :D

Getting an error msg saying *failed to run install script" anyone else get this?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Only got an hour or so in today, loving it.

I watched the TotalBiscuit review last night....broadly agree with his points. X-Com definitely needed 'streamlining'....how ever some of the streamlining is a bit too restrictive. Some of the visuals are a bit buggy.

That being said it is a great game, even forgetting about the history behind it.

Already had my first return to the "That's X-Com Baby" meme.......
    --1st Terror mission.....happened to be on a military base map. I had just moved my 2 snipers into position behind a tank. Being very careful not to isolate any team member. Moved my rookie up a bit and spotted 2 chrsyalids.....the cut scene triggered and 1 of them moved up to the other side of the tank. Not wanting to lose either sniper during the alien turn (and not trusting the rookie's ability to shot straight) I had my rookie toss a grenade at the chrysalid.......boom!=dead alien....hoorah!
    Unfortunately the TANK then exploded at the end of the alien turn............... both snipers dead, the rookie goes beserk and kills my assault trooper just behind her. Fook Me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Branoic wrote: »
    Had my first Terror Mission last night :eek:

I think I'm a bit behind in research my guys still have basic armour and regular weapons - lasers not available yet.

Not sure if the below is spoiler-worthy - its just a recounting of something that happened last night, but spoilering anyway in case someone doesn't want to know about different alien types before encountering them.
    This is not a good position to be in when first encounting crysalids - they are terrifyingly deadly. They run around the map turning civilians (or your squad) into zombies who eventually burst and produce new crysalids, so unless you can take them quickly they'll soon be in overwhelming numbers (and even one is a pain to deal with). I had to rocket one with my heavy (after already softening it up with assault and sniper fire), taking out 3 civilians in the blast. That was difficult to swallow, but I reasoned it would be better to kill 3 civilians in order to take out one crysalid than allow it to infect them in the following turns and put the other 15-odd civilians on the map at risk.

Oh man I remember those guys from the original game. What a nightmare they were to deal with. The really did change the scope of battles when they were thrown into the mix. This game really has just crept up on me and I'm now dying to play it. Just picked it up at lunch so looking forward to giving it a solid run out over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

played 2nd mission and had justin bieber died on me

R.I.P Bieber :(

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Took a look round a couple of shops for the xbox version:
    Tesco, CeX, Argos: not stocked
    Smyths: €55 (€52.50 with loyalty card)
    Gamestop: €55 (extra 5% off with student card, I think)
    HMV: €48 (extra 10% off with student card)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Getting an error msg saying *failed to run install script" anyone else get this?

Probably sorted it by now but its pretty commonly occuring Steam error and it can usually be solved by this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dammit. I don't have the time to play this but it sounds so good.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Probably sorted it by now but its pretty commonly occuring Steam error and it can usually be solved by this

Ya a restart sorted it thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Argh made the mistake of ordering it from these lads before reading the small print. Apparently I have to wait for a phone call from them. I want it now.

Got an email just now with two key's, one was a pre-order DLC. I am a happy customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Teddy bear died in action , time to bring in pixel junkie or **** face

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its not a healthy job posting to be in my XCOM team... averaging about one death a mission at the moment :)

Swore I wouldnt reload saves (much) and use them only when something happened due to not understanding the UI (which is ok, but still a bit ... something.. on the PC).

That, however, lasted up until my highest ranking guy who had a rocket launcher too, died. I'm telling myself I will replay on Ironman, once I get to know the game. :)

Its great though, very tense and really gets the old XCOM feel back. Its not perfect but I'm loving it.

Small UFO mission you say? Order up the next 4 rookies.... "you wont all be coming back..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Pro tip: Don't spend 10 minutes customising your squad before you send them on a terror mission on classic ironman.

ran into my first bug, game got stuck during a move sequence for a floater and I was forced to quit out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DeVore wrote: »
    Its not a healthy job posting to be in my XCOM team... averaging about one death a mission at the moment :)
    I was the same up until the last 2-3 missions. Now that I have more than just 1 non-rookie in each mission its seems a tad more stable.......

.......however the rookie count has been rising due to the long wound recovery times.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

one minor gripe is that I can never seem to ambush them. Even if I know where they are and where they are looking, if I go anywhere near them, they go "wut wut?!?" and scarper into cover... this gives them a move on my turn and then another move on theirs and they cover any ground between me and them and its practically hand to hand at that point. Quite frustrating that you can never really get the drop on them.

Anyone found a way or are you even supposed to?

one minor gripe is that I can never seem to ambush them. Even if I know where they are and where they are looking, if I go anywhere near them, they go "wut wut?!?" and scarper into cover... this gives them a move on my turn and then another move on theirs and they cover any ground between me and them and its practically hand to hand at that point. Quite frustrating that you can never really get the drop on them.

Anyone found a way or are you even supposed to?

sniper unlocks a scanner ability that can give you a much longer range (you can throw it stupidly far) if you are lucky you can land it near a group of aliens and then use your sniper's squadview ability to kill them off (I have 2 fairly beefy snipers in my team|)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

suppression fire and flanking is working great for me, if all else fails, just blow up their cover and snipe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Playing on Classic Ironman and everything was going very well. I had my "team". The one mission when wrong cause i equiped the wrong loadout and i was left with one survivor. Missions after that where hell with only one Vet and 4 Rookies. Forced me to restart :( But i will preserver!!!

Other than that im really digging the game itself. Camera angles on UFO missions are abit all over the place, but its a minor gripe. Also seems to be some bugs with enemy cover, like when i flanked an enemy and they where wide open yet for some reason they had the full cover buff :rolleyes:

The free move on discovery is a (flawed) game mechanic. It's especially broken with chryssalids as it lets them move twice, and then attack. Once you learn the spawn points on the map you can toss grenades or fire rockets to wipe out groups before you discover them.

I do like the game, I just wish it had mechanics more similar to the original.

Hmmm, I'm not playing Ironman (yet, and I'm glad I didnt as the "quirks" take a little bit of getting used to)... I've done excellent on all my first months missions and on all but one of my second (I got excellent/good). I couldnt catch one UFO so it got away and hence the committee gave me a B on my second month.... but even for all of that, there are 3 countries on the verge of leaving... is this pretty much inevitable?
    Anyone else have issues with that?

Also, what does the planet icon bottom left of the scanning screen do? Anyone know? (apart from make the shield thing come up around Earth...)

Very addictive game,I just lost my best guy on the 3rd mission so I'm gonna reload :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Am I the only one not really enjoying this? It's not a patch on the original, so I have to take it on it's own merits. But even then I still can't get over some of the bizarre design faults. The move/move or move/fire choice is just mind boggling. How did they think it was a good idea? It takes away from the immersion and just leaves you feeling like you're playing a puzzle game, deciding what's the best move to make rather than having a living team to try and keep alive. And why can't an international military organisation send out two teams at once? And having moving one space the same as moving ten is insane.

I want to love this game, and there's some stuff to like, but there's so many small annoyances that it's driving me mad. It feels like one of those games where a publisher gives the IP to a small time publisher that they could boss around. They tried hard, but still failed to get close to the original feel.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'm not playing Ironman (yet, and I'm glad I didnt as the "quirks" take a little bit of getting used to)... I've done excellent on all my first months missions and on all but one of my second (I got excellent/good). I couldnt catch one UFO so it got away and hence the committee gave me a B on my second month.... but even for all of that, there are 3 countries on the verge of leaving... is this pretty much inevitable?
    Anyone else have issues with that?

Also, what does the planet icon bottom left of the scanning screen do? Anyone know? (apart from make the shield thing come up around Earth...)

Planet icon toggles the holographic view in mission control.

There's an element of chance in keeping panic levels down. Best thing to do is rush satellites & uplinks early on. If you launch them 4-5 days before the council report you get the full cash bonus, and it means you can wait to see which countries have the highest panic levels.

Early on it's worth doing the more difficult missions whenever possible to keep panic from going into the red, you'll also be able to rack up xp and weapon fragments/corpses from the weaker aliens.

Advertisement