Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Been playing the full game all morning for the first time, my opinion so far has far exceeded what I thought it would be :). The Micromanagement is streamlined but it's also balanced enough that you need to make strategic decisions on what you want built, created, researched etc and doesn't take away much from it if you are into that part of the game. It's an excellent game so far.

I also have an Irish Sniper and an Irish Heavy on my squad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My Irish girl got killed i was gutted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a complete stranger just gifted x-com to me on steam after i was boo-hoo'ing on irc about having to wait to buy it

so blown away by that random generousity that I can only be a little annoyed that the six gigs x-com demo I downloaded doesn't count at all towards the download for the full game

only a little annoyed....

****ers

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Like all good Irish leaders, I've boned my economy and the world is paniced at at my apparent incompetence.

Pro Tip... you really need engineers to build stuff for sale. I forgot that from the first one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

a complete stranger just gifted x-com to me on steam after i was boo-hoo'ing on irc about having to wait to buy it

so blown away by that random generousity that I can only be a little annoyed that the six gigs x-com demo I downloaded doesn't count at all towards the download for the full game

only a little annoyed....

****ers

well that was nice of them :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How good is the games guys?

Is it easy to get into, I've never played any of the xcom games and was wondering if its easy to get around the game and get a feel for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's a demo on steam but it's six gigs

i'd imagine it's an easy game to get into but hard to master. I dont think I played the originals either and I fell in love with the new game after 10 minutes with the demo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How good is the games guys?

Is it easy to get into, I've never played any of the xcom games and was wondering if its easy to get around the game and get a feel for it?

You'll probably like it more if you haven't played (and loved) the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

DeVore wrote: »

Also, what does the planet icon bottom left of the scanning screen do? Anyone know? (apart from make the shield thing come up around Earth...)

It shows you what state of panic each country is in etc?

perhaps it will be more important later
    finding secret bases etc?

I am useless at keeping my assault alive, lost my only one in my first terror mission and then 2 rookies got promoted to assault and lost both of them in the next mission clearing out a downed ufo.

But my snipers are bloody monsters and one is almost maxed. My game has turned into a process of baiting aliens into the open with rookies and then just one shotting them with laser rifles from the other side of the map.

I am very disapointed that I couldnt stun chrysalids, as I had cornered a low hp one (how I lost my only assault) and tried to stun it...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have one lethal looper of a sniper who could take the wings off a gnat and one tank of a rocket guy and between them and assorted assault/medics for support and I seem to be doing ok.
    My economy is a disaster though, cant afford power to build workshops to make satelites etc etc. Made some serious errors there, over investing in research at the start. My advice, have a bit of everything... :)

Loving the game now, its really got tension even though I am letting myself reload saves occasionally. I'm definitely replaying it on Ironman but I am glad I didnt start off that way cos I'd be ripping my hair out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Want to buy this as I'm a serious x-com fanboy, but I have so many games I haven't played that I can't justify buying more. Damn you Steam and your sales! :mad:

First World problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just lost my entire squad :( 3 captains (my irish assault queen among them) trying to do the euro alien base, on ironman as well damn it :(

After the end of my second month, two countries withdrew from the council :(. It seems a tip people are suggesting are for you to hold onto your satellites until the end of a month and use them on high panic countries before the last day until the council meetings

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If a country goes into panic can you not missions for them no?

If a country goes into panic can you not missions for them no?

Well you have to choose which country you think you might benefit from the most, if two high panic countries are in trouble you can only choose one. You could however do a mission for one country and then use a satellite on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Suffered my first squad wipe this morning at the hands of a few Mutons on a terror mission. It took place on a highway/bridge so it was car-explody hell. My sniper took out a truck that killed a rookie and seriously damaged an assault. I was surprised when a cyberdisc few in and did feck all, it blew up taking the drones with it and then the Muton charge...2 troopers went mad with panic and screwed the whole thing up. Unsurprisingly France was the first to leave the council.

Lost my sniper :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

China quit funding me

All of europe is almost ****ed

****s getting intense

maaan

this is one of the few games where I am actually quite nervous to boot up one of my saves cause at how much is at risk...

btw does anyone else have habits they enforce?

I always go with a red tint on all my soldiers and rookies in a gears of war reference must wear their helmets, only when they are promoted do I grace the world with their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I can feel a Sophie's Choice moment on the way between my two lieutenants :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I keep starting over with a new game when i have a bad mission, and to be honest i think a few casualties per mission are to be expected on Classic Ironman. I really gotta just continue after a bad mission. Although sometimes I think the computer is just cheating when they hit me from two screens away with my soldier being in full cover. Makes me so angry that i actually talk aloud and curse the game.

Well done Firaxis. First non multiplayer FPS game to make me rage

I do think the cover firing at times is unfair and buggy at times (for both ways). For example, iv been able to shoot an alien through a thick wall (without the wall being damaged) without a proper line of sight and vice versa with aliens shooting my squad through cover when it's obvious they shouldn't be able to. I hope this might get fixed or tweaked in a future patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

im not sure about the 360 version or pc but ps3 has awful screen tearing at times, and some weird bugs , the frame drops aswell considerably low at times , but it does not take away from the overall experience one bit.

i have never being any good at tactical strategic games but im loving the hell out of this so far

so happy for my purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

my cool as fcuk irish assault girl was killed by my cool as fcuk british zombie sniper girl :(

ah man so many countries in panic mode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Caved in and bought it because of all you raving about it :P
    It better be everything you say it is :D ..downloading atm

Score one for the good guys!!

Absolute bitch of a mission (a small UFO stacked with floaters, 3 Mutons and an Outsider!)... the Mutons climb onto the roof and become nigh impossible to hit up there btw. My (Irish) sniper gets a lovely shot at one of them with a critical headshot leaving him on 1 hp. He rages as a result, using intimidate on her, she panics and shoots.... him, in the head. Again! One dead Muton! Dont mess with the bad irish bitch with a scope dude lol...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DeVore wrote: »
    ........My (Irish) sniper gets a lovely shot at one of them with a critical headshot leaving him on 1 hp. He rages as a result, using intimidate on her, she panics and shoots.... him, in the head. Again! One dead Muton! Dont mess with the bad irish bitch with a scope dude lol...

Looky fooker!

I am a bit unhappy with the trooper panic settings. I have rookies panicking after 1 team member gets downed.....suddenly 2/6 of my team are out of action.......to my mind panic should occur when >50% team are downed.

Currently at 20 troops......12 ranked up,(1 Colonel,1 Major) with 8 rookies to take as the 6th guy on each mission. Just unlocked Light Plasma Rifle.

• Advertisement

lucky you.

I have rookies panicking when they got shot at for the first time

(I admit though they were the only person in my team with standard armour while everyone else had upgraded armour and laser rifles...)

Advertisement