Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Been playing for the last 3-4 hours and its so ****ing frustrating that i think i had enough of it. The fact that battles can be so random even when you stack the odds in your favor. I did a mission where i shot down a large UFO. With a team of 2 Support and 2 Snipers i clean house, i think i got hit only once. I got this one Sniper, a Swede, that is able to shoot a target that my team mate has in their line of sight. So im moving up slowly and the sniper is making short work of everything from 19 Miles away.

Then i go into the next mission with the same tactics in mind, but this time i have 5 Squad members. I kid you not 3 of my team got wiped out in a single enemy turn. All getting crit for like 9 damage each whilst being behind cover and not being flanked. In the end i manage to abort the mission and save my golden boy Sniper. Next mission after that goes to **** cause i have 4 Rookies and the Sniper vet. I lose the whole team.

That random chance for me to lose 3 of my guys in one turn just ****ed my game over completely, and i did everything in my power to minimize the chance for such a thing to happen. Maybe Classic difficulty is to much in the aliens favor. Gonna put this on hold for a while and come back into it at Normal difficulty.

I cant express how furious i am right now, this will have to do....:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Been playing for the last 3-4 hours and its so ****ing frustrating that i think i had enough of it. The fact that battles can be so random even when you stack the odds in your favor. I did a mission where i shot down a large UFO. With a team of 2 Support and 2 Snipers i clean house, i think i got hit only once. I got this one Sniper, a Swede, that is able to shoot a target that my team mate has in their line of sight. So im moving up slowly and the sniper is making short work of everything from 19 Miles away.

Then i go into the next mission with the same tactics in mind, but this time i have 5 Squad members. I kid you not 3 of my team got wiped out in a single enemy turn. All getting crit for like 9 damage each whilst being behind cover and not being flanked. In the end i manage to abort the mission and save my golden boy Sniper. Next mission after that goes to **** cause i have 4 Rookies and the Sniper vet. I lose the whole team.

That random chance for me to lose 3 of my guys in one turn just ****ed my game over completely, and i did everything in my power to minimize the chance for such a thing to happen. Maybe Classic difficulty is to much in the aliens favor. Gonna put this on hold for a while and come back into it at Normal difficulty.

I cant express how furious i am right now, this will have to do....:mad::mad::mad:
    Haven't bought it yet, but going by the rage, sounds like they've done a good job simulating the original :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Been playing for the last 3-4 hours and its so ****ing frustrating that i think i had enough of it. .......

.....I cant express how furious i am right now, this will have to do....:mad::mad::mad:

I think this may be the problem with this version. It seems that single bad mission can ruin your campaign. In the original you were in trouble but were able to rebuild. The new version seems to be on a precipice (of global panic) too often to allow you the 'luxury' 2-3 rebuilding missions.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, Classic Ironman is a bit silly by the sounds of it (and the original was similarly freakishly hard). Even on "Difficult" I'm trying to hold it together.

One thing I've really noticed is that you have to move very very slowly... constantly on overwatch and covering each other without bunching up. Still, I got one "Very Difficult" mission for a 5-panic country and it was ludicrous. I never moved from the starting area, gunned down 8 Crysalids in the first tweo rounds (using all my rockets and frag) and along came two discs and about 5 healer drones. They really arent kidding with the difficulty. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tenger wrote: »
    I think this may be the problem with this version. It seems that single bad mission can ruin your campaign. In the original you were in trouble but were able to rebuild. The new version seems to be on a precipice (of global panic) too often to allow you the 'luxury' 2-3 rebuilding missions.
    On that point, I think you need to have satelites everywhere fast and that gets you money, which stabilises the economy. I didnt do this and everyone is panicing and leaving and I'm broke lol!

(btw, can you get them back if they have left?)

Also, anyone know what this "Field Unit Analysis" thing yer wan keeps talking about is? I've missed something obvious havent I? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Just started tonight and I'm loving it. Was planning a Classic Ironman run but after reading into it I opted for Normal Ironman.

Considering this is my first run with any form of Xcom or similar game I know the Ironman setting is going to screw me pretty quickly but that's what I like about it. The level of tension and fear knowing one **** up can mean messing the entire game up is too good not to go for it.

Queue me back tomorrow night with rage stories saying I've quit!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

psi powers are fckin awesome! mindcontrolled an elite muton and made him butcher his mates then blow himself up :D

(Degrassy, Some people might not know about that "development" at the start :) )

I just did the
    first landed UFO mission
    and man, despite having snipers pinging everything, I had one guy butchered outright and another left needing two health kits! And that was only at the start! Thankfully the salvage more than paid for lots of upgrades (hello armour!), and you can barely notice the flecks of blood from their fallen comrade on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DeVore wrote: »
    On that point, I think you need to have satelites everywhere fast and that gets you money, which stabilises the economy. I didnt do this and everyone is panicing and leaving and I'm broke lol!

I'v been reading that it's suggested not to use your satellites from the get go, save them until towards the end of the month and see which countries are of high panic and use them on those countries. Their panic rating drops from 4 or 5 down to about 1 or 2 and you will get your council meeting funding the next day and have a good rating.

I just completing my first Alien base......lost 2 guys out of 6,1 was a Squaddie so happy with that outcome. However I forgot to equip an Arc thrower so I will have to go in again. On the plus side global panic levels dropped by 2-3....so bases appear to be "must do ASAP"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

After about 6 hours of playtime i got the god damn interceptor bug and im stuck now waiting on a patch or just restart the game and dont caus the bug again. Well pissed off! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

finally got cracking into this this morning

haven't felt this excited about a new game in a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Big Knox wrote: »
    Just started tonight and I'm loving it. Was planning a Classic Ironman run but after reading into it I opted for Normal Ironman.

Considering this is my first run with any form of Xcom or similar game I know the Ironman setting is going to screw me pretty quickly but that's what I like about it. The level of tension and fear knowing one **** up can mean messing the entire game up is too good not to go for it.

Queue me back tomorrow night with rage stories saying I've quit!! :p

bit of advice, dont get attached to any one of your squad-mates...even if they are irish :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When you make new armour/weapons how do you equip them to your soldiers? like the nanosuit I think it was,I was trying to equip that to one of my guys and couldn't,same with the lazer rifle

Each squad member has 4 slots, Armour, Main weapon, Secondary Weapon and Backpack. Each item has a specific slot it goes into. Its not a general inventory like before (though later you can expand the backpack to two slots afaik).

So, in the backpack goes your grenades OR your medkit OR your scope. If you select Armour , the medkits and grenades wont show up in the right hand list.

Nanosuits go in the backpack slot (weirdly enough) as they ADD to your armour, not replace it. (hence I guess why they dont go in the armour slot).

Lazer Rifles are Main Weapons and only some types (Assault I think) can use them. Maybe Heavys can too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

After you kill aliens? Is there a way to search their corpses? I've heard you can pick up stuff while out on mission but didn't come across it in the demo

After you kill aliens? Is there a way to search their corpses? I've heard you can pick up stuff while out on mission but didn't come across it in the demo

You cannot loot corpses in X-COM:Enemy Unknown.........

.....that was a mechanic in the original game.

However sometimes the weapons of aliens appear in your stock after the return to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

The mission debriefing screen that appears after the mission ends tells you what you've salvaged. You don't have to manually go to corpse and loot. Also, explosives will blow more stuff up and so you savage less etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

just played the steam demo, i liked it alot , what price is this game selling for instore ? PC version obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

This is getting ridiculous. 2 colonels and 4 majors in my team and they all miss, every enemy hitting for 6 damage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just played the steam demo, i liked it alot , what price is this game selling for instore ? PC version obviously

40 in gamestop

dunno about anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

You seem to get achievements for as little as opening the menus. Is there any way to turn them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Grimebox wrote: »
    You seem to get achievements for as little as opening the menus. Is there any way to turn them off?

No but why would you bother? they dont affect the game at all and only appear for about 3 seconds

VinLieger wrote: »
    No but why would you bother? they dont affect the game at all and only appear for about 3 seconds

I'd simply prefer they didn't pop up at all. Its similar to the way american TV have these huge ads pop up along the bottom of the screen during a program. Its not ok. For a moment I'm reminded that I'm playing a game and the immersion is broken. It's not a big deal anyway. They have stopped appearing so frequently anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

40 in gamestop

dunno about anywhere else

I know it's "instore" you were talking about, I got mine for 28euro at http://www.gamekeys4all.com/steam-games/163-xcom-enemy-unknown-cd-key-steam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

derfderf wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. 2 colonels and 4 majors in my team and they all miss, every enemy hitting for 6 damage.

They are officers, that would be normal! Now if you asked them to stand around drinking coffee debating about the pros of sending the other ranks to their death against the aliens then they would get 100% !

For a game I have a number of gripes with, I'm still loving it.

The camera has started to act a bit weird, especially inside structures like UFOs and bases.

More worrying is that I think I've boned my economy and panic levels to the extent that 20 missions in I think there is no way I can reverse the downward spiral of panic. I have 5 countrys that have left (and apparently, they dont come back, ever btw!) and 3 VERY DIFFICULT missions in 3 countries with level 4 panic.
    Thats despite perfecting every mission I went on, never ignoring any and never aborting.
    Getting that economy right, at the very start, it crucial or you are boned and you wont know it for 10 missions.

Bit miffed I have to go back most likely and restart... :(
    But then again, more XCOM! So, yay! :)

Aiming the grenades is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

DeVore wrote: »
    For a game I have a number of gripes with, I'm still loving it.

The camera has started to act a bit weird, especially inside structures like UFOs and bases.

More worrying is that I think I've boned my economy and panic levels to the extent that 20 missions in I think there is no way I can reverse the downward spiral of panic. I have 5 countrys that have left (and apparently, they dont come back, ever btw!) and 3 VERY DIFFICULT missions in 3 countries with level 4 panic.
    Thats despite perfecting every mission I went on, never ignoring any and never aborting.
    Getting that economy right, at the very start, it crucial or you are boned and you wont know it for 10 missions.

Bit miffed I have to go back most likely and restart... :(
    But then again, more XCOM! So, yay! :)

But surely that's the point? The game is hardly made so you keep panic levels low for everyone while acing each mission. There's no fun in that. It's about Aliens invading earth, if there wasn't alot of panic involved and everything went to plan it wouldn't really put pressure on you or put you in a position to make hard decisions with consequences that affect your gameplay. You're supposed to feel under severe pressure, you are mans last hope to save Earth!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Played the original to death, loving this too. Manual is a bit short on details so: can you build more than one base in this one? If so how and/or when? (seeing as a lot of buildings etc. just get unlocked as the game progresses).

Had to drop to Normal Ironman as was finding Classic Ironman a tad difficult.

Advertisement