Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Tenger wrote: »
    You cannot loot corpses in X-COM:Enemy Unknown.........

.....that was a mechanic in the original game.

However sometimes the weapons of aliens appear in your stock after the return to base.
    Only noticed this now but capturing aliens will also allow you to take their weapons. So get some thin man if you want plasma guns etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

two missions in a row lost my entire squad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Playing on Impossible is pretty hard but I refuse to lower the difficulty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I lost my whole squad the first time I came across those spider like things that create zombies. One guy died and the rest panicked so all I could was watch them make poor decisions and die

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Started today on normal and its so much easier (Up to floaters atleast). Only time i lost a guy was when i miss clicked him to walk right into a group of bad guys with zero cover, lol. I cant help but feel there should have been another difficulty setting in between Normal and Classic. Regardless at least i am enjoying the gaming experience now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Started today also, and enjoying it.
    Named some of the squaddies after my friends, and got attached to a few...devastated when they got killed...reloaded at least 2 missions to retry saving them :P

Seems a bit unfair sometimes though, enemy shoots you out of nowhere.
    Just had a mission there, where I crept up, killed a few people without incident..next thing..aliens turn...2 of them jump ontop of their alien ship, and critical hit 3 captains and killed them all.

Suffice to say I turned it off in rage, I'll be trying it again later

im gonna start my third new game today after this last game of starcraft

lost two full squads one after the other, then with nothing left but a bunch of rookies I got a very difficult terror mission in shanghai

**** that noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Son of a bitch, Steam decided to stop installing from disc halfway through so there's another half hour before I play the damn thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just lost my first game. There is a cool video that plays when you lose enough council members. Its worth losing just to see it

Anyone find the music similar to Deus Ex HR in some places ?

Also, the mission theme seems to be a slower version of "Scorponoks theme" from Transformers @2.30

Update : just checked Wikipedia, seems its the same composer as Deus Ex :HR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Anyone find the music similar to Deus Ex HR in some places ?

Also, the mission theme seems to be a slower version of "Scorponoks theme" from Transformers @2.30

Update : just checked Wikipedia, seems its the same composer as Deus Ex :HR

Yeah it's very similar to the Transformers score in places. I also thought Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) was doing the voice of the lead council and went to check if it was him and if Steve Steve Jablonsky was doing the score but it was neither of them. Found it weird!

Anyway I'm severely lacking credits. I need money to build facilities, armour, weapons, satellites etc. and I'm stuck on 0 pretty much all the time. Is this normal? Any tips on making credits faster?

how do I use the arc thrower?

I have it equipped in the loadout, but I can never use it in a mission

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

have to be within hugging distance :P you'll see a blue ring around the baddies when you're controlling a guy with one, and mouse over a ET

you'll see it in your action bar as stun (you have 2 shots each mission).

cant be used with assaults run & gun ability unfort

Just got my first Terror mission with 3 of 5 of my main squad out injured. Going in with 3 rookies, this is not going to be fun!! :(

Has anyone got to
    underground ship
    mission ?
    I'm only 7 hours in...but the group of baddies there are ridiculous.

Am I able to leave this mission aside and just keep doing side missions to lvl up before I tackle it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

@SeantheMan yes you can.

I've just completed the campaign on normal.

5 Deaths: 1 Captain, 3 Squadies, 1 Colonel

Panic: Didn't lose any council countries, managed to get satellites up quickly. Came close to losing Russia, Argentina and England a few times.

Upgraded, researched and bought everything! literally. I went my own way with research, leaving priority items til i felt my squad was ready for the next part of the campaign.

Didnt see one Irish soldier throughout the entire campaign.

Bloody great game, might try ironman on my next playthrough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

@SeantheMan yes you can.

I've just completed the campaign on normal.

5 Deaths: 1 Captain, 3 Squadies, 1 Colonel

Panic: Didn't lose any council countries, managed to get satellites up quickly. Came close to losing Russia, Argentina and England a few times.

Upgraded, researched and bought everything! literally. I went my own way with research, leaving priority items til i felt my squad was ready for the next part of the campaign.

Bloody great game, might try ironman on my next playthrough :)

Almost sounds like Normal was almost too easy if you only had 5 deaths? I'm playing through the campaign fairly early on normal difficulty and I've only lost one of my squad and that was due to stupidity on my part.

I was tempted by Classic but I reckoned I needed to get a feel for the game first before tackling it. Also it seems that there's just too much of a jump up in difficulty to classic. Screw ironman, not taking the chance with the game breaking bugs people have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wasnt that easy, i just reloaded a lot :D

ugh
    few bad missions, only have two non rookie soldiers left
    and every ****ing mission is "very difficult"

pain in the balls

Had been doing very well for myself on Ironman up until tonight. Each mission was relatively easy, just taking my time being extra cautious and hadn't lost anyone up to that point. Said I'd do one more mission before bed and I just lost my Major Heavy and Support. :(

Terror mission where I literally couldn't move from the starting area and just got swarmed. I'm lucky I came out with anyone so it's not all bad!! Haven't enjoyed a single player game this much in a long long time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This is a worthy successor to the originals, in every way.

I've been playing around with the start at various difficulties and I've decided that Impossible is precisely that. I'm going to make it through Classic Ironman or not at all, and I'm going to love every minute. It's bastarding hard if you want it to be, which gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling.

I was awfully worried about the stripped down micromanagement at the start, but they've compensated really well. They really have streamlined the game; The lack of multiple bases is balanced by the need to get satellites over each country and the perks you get from covering a whole continent; The low numbers of available troops is balanced by the skill tree giving you some excellent advantages; the small maps are balanced by clever AI and extra variety in the mission types; even the dodgy voice acting is balanced by the gorgeous Michael McCann soundtrack.

This is seriously good stuff, and you need to play it. This feels like a better reboot than Deus Ex 3 was, and I freaking loved DE3.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this during the week. Only getting around to playing some of the games I bought in the last Steam sale and decided not to play Xcom till I finish at least one of the games I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Played the original to death, loving this too. Manual is a bit short on details so: can you build more than one base in this one? If so how and/or when? (seeing as a lot of buildings etc. just get unlocked as the game progresses).

Had to drop to Normal Ironman as was finding Classic Ironman a tad difficult.

I think it's just the one base, you can however set up Interceptors in various areas of the planet via the hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

My second playthrough is alot more promising. I'm nearly finished my third month where I had two A ratings for the first two months. I'v only lost one squad member since starting and all the countries are on low panic at the moment :). I have 3 satellites spare to use when ready if a country goes into high panic also.

My only drawback at the moment is that my Interceptors haven't been upgraded at all. So I can't take down the big UFO's. My armor and weapons haven't been upgraded at all either. I'm literally relying on tactics at the moment and the strength of my squads experience to get me through missions (nearly have two fully ranked soldiers). I bought the two Squad Size enhancements so I have a full team of 6.

Playing Ironman mode also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

how do I use the arc thrower?

I have it equipped in the loadout, but I can never use it in a mission

You'll get the blue ring around an enemy when you have the guy with the Arc Thrower selected, have to be within 2 tiles of him to use it, basically. Also (spoiler about effectiveness of Arc Thrower)
    get the potential victim down to 3 health or less before using it, it's only about 30% effective before that, going up to 75% or more if they are wounded to that level)

panic in argentina, canada and the uk
    japan and australia alread pulled out of the council
    i have no ranked soldiers, just a barracks full of rookies

I think it's time to start a new game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've had two Irish soldiers, lost one early on but Sean 'Vandal' Quinn (that's the name the game gave him :eek:) is hanging on in there.

Never have any money at all, didn't realise I needed to build satellites for income and had to sell off loads of alien bits to drum up some cash.

Lost Australia though :(

I've found the game to be really sucking me in, getting that 'just one more mission' vibe which is great! (Unless that one last mission carries you through until three in the morning).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Panic on the streets of London? Panic on the streets of Birmingham?
    I wonder to myself..."

God now I feel old.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I took on the first base mission last night. Foolish foolish Tom. 4am my squad crawled out. They were quite successful and the game does a really nice job of the post mission roundup but man my team was in bits and will take weeks to recover... i recommend medkits and skills to use them. Also, some stun guns!

The base mission is huuuuge, 22 mobs in mine but the rewards.... oh the rewards... Its like the promised fncking land, plus it may have saved my game...

btw, I left mine for ages as a mission, several months at least in order to tool up for it so there isnt a time limit on it it seems. I wonder if I had gone immediately, would it have been full of sectoids and floaters only....

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    I took on the first base mission last night. Foolish foolish Tom. 4am my squad crawled out. They were quite successful and the game does a really nice job of the post mission roundup but man my team was in bits and will take weeks to recover... i recommend medkits and skills to use them. Also, some stun guns!

The base mission is huuuuge, 22 mobs in mine but the rewards.... oh the rewards... Its like the promised fncking land, plus it may have saved my game...

btw, I left mine for ages as a mission, several months at least in order to tool up for it so there isnt a time limit on it it seems. I wonder if I had gone immediately, would it have been full of sectoids and floaters only....

Hmmm, this is the mission I'm on I think...the underground base.
    I went in with a 6man squad, the first 3 enemys were those green lizard lads, managed to do 2 of my squad in their first go.
    Then I got far..clearing about 6 waves....but I was barely hanging on by then. One of those insect lads came out, turned someone into a zombie...so I turned the game off.
    I'll leave that mission for a month or two :D

Advertisement