Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

religion and sick children

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ShooterSF wrote: »

Leaving aside the emotional idea that a state does it's best to help the vulnerable in society, a logical cold argument could be made for it saving costs (pension and medical) and freeing up space (wow that was hard to type). Gonna step away from the keyboard for a second!

Indeed this is one of the reasons why people may be against it. Life over time would be devalued and old/ill people would feel under pressure to take their own lives. Funding for hospice care may not be so forth coming. Treatment and the search for cures of the terminally ill may thus cease. I think you are seeing the full effects of the "slippery slope" argument!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I can's see how with voluntary but perhaps involuntary, even with the strictest safeguards human error can not be completely eradicated but we simply try our best. Unlike the death penalty though, not making euthanasia legal causes suffering daily. We legalise motor vehicles that cause 100s of deaths every year and if we banned them all it would do is inconvenience us and save many lives. Here we're talking about ending suffering not inconvenience and while every precaution would be taken, the fear that someone may mistakenly loose their life is not acceptable enough to stop us in our tracks, we simply realise the risk and try our best to make sure it doesn't happen.

Human error is of course a fact of life. Interesting, therefore are you for the death penalty? I know many people mainly of a liberal persuasion are against it for the very reason of human error, yet many of these would be open to euthanasia. An interesting moral jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jank wrote: »
    old/ill people would feel under pressure to take their own lives.
    Just to save taxpayers money? Do old people feel guilty about getting a pension? No. There are many who live their whole lives on social welfare, without ever paying anything in, and if they have no issues with that, why should pensioners, who mostly have already paid taxes?

BTW, on the costs issue; there are treatments that are unavailable on the public system because the drugs are just too expensive. People die all the time because of this. We don't currently have a system where human life is preserved regardless of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jank wrote: »
    Indeed this is one of the reasons why people may be against it. Life over time would be devalued and old/ill people would feel under pressure to take their own lives. Funding for hospice care may not be so forth coming. Treatment and the search for cures of the terminally ill may thus cease. I think you are seeing the full effects of the "slippery slope" argument!

Genuine question, is there any evidence that this is, in fact, the case?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

MrPudding wrote: »
    Genuine question, is there any evidence that this is, in fact, the case?

MrP

Indeed, my brother lives in Switzerland which has legalised euthanasia - can't say I noticed any decline in the number of elderly people there when I visit.

I wonder if Jank could possibly be deliberately confusing the terms 'suicide' and 'euthanasia'?

Advertisement