Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC New Channels [Merged] - Latest - TG4 HD and RTÉ News Now launched

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

This is great news and just in time for the start of the new season i can see

this move taking alot of customers off SKY as they can't compete on the

Broadband front happy days.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

rockal wrote: »
    Not quite..
    As I quoted above.....Sky Sports and Movies Customers, with a current HD subscription, can upgrade their sports and movies for an extra €10 per month.

Tx Rockal...

Is that €10 p mth for each?. I mean, I have a HD box and Sky Sports package on UPC but do not have the movies. It will cost me €10 p mth to upgrade to get the HD Sky Sports channels is that correct?

Or is it less when you have just one of the packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Not quite..
    As I quoted above.....Sky Sports and Movies Customers, with a current HD subscription, can upgrade their sports and movies for an extra €10 per month.
    Sure but regular HD channels like ESPN America, Sky Sports News will stay the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ok so it seems the HD price will stay at €5! No increase according to UPC Agent.
    So far I know of Sky Arts, SSN, ESPN America, SS1, SS2 will all be HD as of tomorrow!

Never trust the UPC agents. They're usually the last to be told anything so I'd take what they told you with a pinch of salt

Not quite..
    Sure but regular HD channels like ESPN America, Sky Sports News will stay the same.

That's good. While having the SS would be nice I don't think it's worth paying the extra tender. I would like ESPNA HD though.

I just had a couple of weeks ago what is now becoming my annual gaggle with their loyalty department over securing a discount and getting a cheaper price so maybe if this had happened a few weeks previously i may have been able to get a better deal on this

That's good. While having the SS would be nice I don't think it's worth paying the extra tender. I would like ESPNA HD though.

I just had a couple of weeks ago what is now becoming my annual gaggle with their loyalty department over securing a discount and getting a cheaper price so maybe if this had happened a few weeks previously i may have been able to get a better deal on this
    Same here, Ill be calling up getting another discount if my contract is changed again! Have signed 3 different ones this year already! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPClaunches21newHDChannels%20.pdf

Mainly Movies and Sports:

"TV viewing for UPC customers just got a whole lot better with the news
    that 21 new High Definition (HD) channels has been added to UPC’s TV service. In a first
    for Irish cable TV, UPC and SKY have signed an enhanced wide ranging deal that will make
    19 Sky channels in HD available on UPC including Sky Sports 1 & 2 HD and Sky Movies
    HD, as well Sky 1 HD, Sky News HD, Sky Sports News HD and many more. In addition to
    the Sky channels, UPC has also added ESPN America and Disney HD to its HD line up."

Edit: Live tomorrow apparently. As this is already covered in the Sky sports thread, if a Mod wants to delete/merge then please do. Ta!

Same here, Ill be calling up getting another discount if my contract is changed again! Have signed 3 different ones this year already! :D

It's good to know I'm not the only one doing this!

In fairness to them though, the loyalty lads have always been v good, once you have made the first move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Its great news alright for folks who love a bit of HD, but i cant see me taking it up, Im not complaining about a tenner it seems fair same as sky really.

But UPC used to be cheaper, now everything they offer, sky offer a few euro cheaper, bar multi room. jesus even the lowest broadband pack has gone up from 23 to 37 euro in the last year, great service, but its starting to become a bit of a rip off like sky was when i left.

One more price increase and its back to sky me thinks, but still great news :D

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Its great news alright for folks who love a bit of HD, but i cant see me taking it up, Im not complaining about a tenner it seems fair same as sky really.

But UPC used to be cheaper, now everything they offer, sky offer a few euro cheaper, bar multi room. jesus even the lowest broadband pack has gone up from 23 to 37 euro in the last year, great service, but its starting to become a bit of a rip off like sky was when i left.

One more price increase and its back to sky me thinks, but still great news :D
    To be honest if I didnt need a phone line to get Sky Multiroom Id be gone to Sky in a flash. Its just another needless cost of a phone line that I dont want, and another contract. Prices are creeping up but so is the service. Its 10 times better than it was a couple of years ago!

Already in the Sky Sports HD thread. Tomorrow it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

It's been announced on the UPC website with a bit of clarification regarding the channel line up.

Above links to PDF document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Can not wait to see the impact on the EPG around this. Can UPC swap out SD and HD channels to avoid having to move EPG place?

Only new new channel, Sky Arts 2, will that be available in SD?

* Updated Sky Arts 2 will be available in SD too *

So are ESPNA and Disney part of the free HD channels or are they part of the ones you have to pay the tenner for? While technically ESPNA is a sports channel it isn't owned by Sky so I don't know if it comes under them. And Disney obviously isn't either Sport or Movies.

I don't know if the press release was just a cut and paste from old ones but it mentioned the NHL being on ESPNA. They lost out last season to Setanta and I thought they didn't have it this year either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's been announced on the UPC website with a bit of clarification regarding the channel line up.

Above links to PDF document.

"15th August 2012: TV viewing for UPC customers just got a whole lot better with the news that 21 new High Definition (HD) channels has been added to UPC’s TV service"

No sign of the HD channels on my HD box

• Advertisement

TOMORROW

So are ESPNA and Disney part of the free HD channels or are they part of the ones you have to pay the tenner for? While technically ESPNA is a sports channel it isn't owned by Sky so I don't know if it comes under them. And Disney obviously isn't either Sport or Movies.

I don't know if the press release was just a cut and paste from old ones but it mentioned the NHL being on ESPNA. They lost out last season to Setanta and I thought they didn't have it this year either?
    Been trying to find out for the last week who has the contract for NHL this season. Setanta wont answer me so I assume they have lost it. I hope to Christ ESPNA get it again! A world of different besides Setanta not showing NHL in HD when its a sport that does need HD Channel provider!

Been trying to find out for the last week who has the contract for NHL this season. Setanta wont answer me so I assume they have lost it. I hope to Christ ESPNA get it again! A world of different besides Setanta not showing NHL in HD when its a sport that does need HD Channel provider!

ESPNA definitely don't have it for the Uk (premier sports signed a 4 or 5 year deal) so I'd find it strange if ESPNA got it for here as we're bundled in with them usually. That's why I found it strange to see it mentioned in the press release.

I would imagine ESPNA HD comes at no extra charge provided you are already HD and on the platform that has ESPNA (basic digital package has not got it).

Similarly if you have Disney, then the HD version should show at no extra charge.

That is how I am interpreting it until UPC clarify it 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

That is fantastic news. amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Such a shame they did not get access to Sky F1 HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Such a shame they did not get access to Sky F1 HD.

I would say Setanta would have something to say about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I must admit, I never thought any of Sky's HD channels would appear on UPC

Fair play to UPC, and with On Demand they can for once compete with Sky, once you can get the services ofcourse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭frankled

An extra tenner again is a bit much if you already have SkySports and HD. Existing subscription should just be upgraded.

frankled wrote: »
    An extra tenner again is a bit much if you already have SkySports and HD. Existing subscription should just be upgraded.

Yeah I don't think I'll go for it. As much as I'd love SS in HD that would send my monthly bill over the ton and I don't want to do that

Eamo71 wrote: »
    That is fantastic news. amazing.
    WOooooo! Lets not go too far here :D

I think the plus side here is now we have a choice of Sky Sports HD
    Before we didnt...
    I fully expect now to have Sky Sports F1 as soon as the Setanta Deal runs out end of next year!
    If not I reckon Setanta will try to improve coverage now that there is a chance UPC could get Sky F1!

Yeah I don't think I'll go for it. As much as I'd love SS in HD that would send my monthly bill over the ton and I don't want to do that

When you already have HD, sports, phone, broadband etc it's a bit much from them I reckon. Seems a bit petty although they obviously have a hefty cost from Sky, such was the delay/negotiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't think anybody has the rights to broadcast NHL in the UK and Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Relative UPC newbie here having had Sky for years - haven't had cable since the Cablelink days :)

So if I have the latest HD box and get RTE 2 HD now and most of the rest of the basic channels as I'd call them, does this mean any of those (Sky 1 for example) will now be in HD from tomorrow without an extra charge?

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody has the rights to broadcast NHL in the UK and Ireland at the moment.
    Thats what I thought, I assumed Setanta/Premier Sports had a one year deal as the rights holders are that Swedish crowd. Strange that Setanta wont confirm though! With this potential lockout too maybe they are biding their time. I lost interest last year because Setants coverage was rubbish! just like F1! Rubbish channel which I wish would just go away!

Sure will! Sky Arts 1&2 HD, Sky SPorts News HD, Sky News HD, ESPN America HD should all be there by tomorrow free of charge if you already have a regular HD subscription (€5) (ESPN HD, BBC HD etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Relative UPC newbie here having had Sky for years - haven't had cable since the Cablelink days :)

So if I have the latest HD box and get RTE 2 HD now and most of the rest of the basic channels as I'd call them, does this mean any of those (Sky 1 for example) will now be in HD from tomorrow without an extra charge?

Kaiser2000 - I underrstand that you will get these channels in HD at no extra charge:

Sky 1
    Sky Living
    Sky Arts 1
    Sky Arts 2
    Sky News
    Sky Sports News

Additional HD channels:
    ESPN America
    Disney

The Movies/Sports you would have to pay for obviously.

RTE News Now is supposed to be coming also, but there's no confirmed date yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

frankled wrote: »
    Agreed, I think that if you have a HD subscription, plus are already paying for a premium package such as SkySports that an extra €10 a month on top of both is a bit much.

I realise that UPC have to recoup costs & all, but I for one won't be paying any extra. It will be interesting to see how many go for it.

Premier Sports (owned by yer man that originally set up Setanta) have the UK rights for the next 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 hwfs.ie

looks good, bit annoying though if you subscribe to sky sports and the HD service you dont get the sports channels in HD unless you upgrade for another €10 per month. the sports and movies cost enough without adding another €10 per month for them in HD.

hwfs.ie wrote: »
    looks good, bit annoying though if you subscribe to sky sports and the HD service you dont get the sports channels in HD unless you upgrade for another €10 per month. the sports and movies cost enough without adding another €10 per month for them in HD.
    Sky charge €15 for HD anyway so just brining it in line!

*I cant believe Ive arrived at the point where Im defending UPC

Premier Sports (owned by yer man that originally set up Setanta) have the UK rights for the next 4 years
    I guess that means Setanta also have these rights unless they fade away like a fart in the wind that we want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Sky charge €15 for HD anyway so just brining it in line!

*I cant believe Ive arrived at the point where Im defending UPC

Hardly in line, when sky still have another 30+ HD channels in their Lineup. Plus no sports 3&4

Still though great news and finally some work by UPC :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It doesn't seem to differentiate if you only have Movies or Sports to upgrade. Just €10 to upgrade both if you already have HD. Or €15 if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Still no option of Sky's F1 channel? Pass.

Agreed, I think that if you have a HD subscription, plus are already paying for a premium package such as SkySports that an extra €10 a month on top of both is a bit much.

I realise that UPC have to recoup costs & all, but I for one won't be paying any extra. It will be interesting to see how many go for it.

Exactly. Maybe it'll be unsuccessful and they'll omit the extra €10, although that'd mean they'd just recoup it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

according to upc twitter acount sky sports 3 & 4 hd will be available somethime soon aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sports fans will now be able to enjoy their favourite Premiership League football, Ryder Cup
    and Aviva Premiership and Heineken Cup rugby in unrivalled High Definition with the
    addition of the Sky’s Sports 1 &2 HD and Sky Sports News HD to UPC’s TV packages.
    Fans of American Sports will also enjoy amazing detail and picture quality watching Major
    League Baseball, the NFL and the National Hockey League on ESPN HD.

Either they know something nobody else does about the NHL being on ESPN HD, or they haven't a f*cking breeze. I know which one I'm going with.

I've spoken to Setanta and they have confirmed that they have it for the upcoming (hopefully!) season so I'm extremely confused about the PDF I've quoted above...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

since my tv is only a 32" i think i can live without sky sports hd for an extra €15 a month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any word on if UPC got or will have Sky's F1 channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Is Sky Atlantic included on UPC now too?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I've spoken to Setanta and they have confirmed that they have it for the upcoming (hopefully!) season so I'm extremely confused about the PDF I've quoted above...

That was probably a cut and paste from an ESPNA bio they had from a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

macker22 wrote: »
    according to upc twitter acount sky sports 3 & 4 hd will be available somethime soon aswell

Don't understand why SS 3&4HD are not launched now - Sports is the lead attraction yet all the Movie Channels are being launched on HD now.

Personally think getting Sky F1 and interactive services should have been a higher priority but still its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

i think its the same sort of deal the done wit virgin in uk awhile ago expect they got sky f1

• Advertisement
Advertisement