Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC New Channels [Merged] - Latest - TG4 HD and RTÉ News Now launched

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Money must be tight at Sky!

I doubt it. It is free money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

So we upgraded from Movies and Sports SD to HD. Very happy with the lot etc. but as usual nothing ever goes smoothly with UPC and ourselves.

Got the regular text notification of a bill and it was about 60 euro's more than it should be, rang up and it turned out I was subscribed for both SD and HD. Nice work sales staff.

All sorted now but a pain in the A$$

Also all of the movies we had recorded in SD are no longer accessible in our DVR because we are no longer subscribed to the SD package!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

So we upgraded from Movies and Sports SD to HD. Very happy with the lot etc. but as usual nothing ever goes smoothly with UPC and ourselves.

Got the regular text notification of a bill and it was about 60 euro's more than it should be, rang up and it turned out I was subscribed for both SD and HD. Nice work sales staff.

Also all of the movies we had recorded in SD are no longer accessible in our DVR because we are no longer subscribed to the SD package!

Do you have ON Demand? If so would you not be better off dropping the movies package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

With SKY you get the HD and SD version of the channel... You can actually watch SD if you want to. That not the case with UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Can you drop the SD sports and subscribe to HD only? I thought the new HD channels were only available if you subscribe to Sports already (or take it as part of the pack)?

Do you have ON Demand? If so would you not be better off dropping the movies package?

On Demand doesn't have the same offering when it comes to movie selection as the movie channels do. It does have new releases etc but you are charged each time you watch one. Am happy with the movies pack and the offering there, just annoyed you can't watch a recorded film if it was recorded on SD!
    With SKY you get the HD and SD version of the channel... You can actually watch SD if you want to. That not the case with UPC?

Having choice is great, but why would you watch SD, if you had HD? To answer your question - if you get HD, you can only watch HD, we can no longer access the SD channels as we are not subscribed. It would appear to me that you would have to pay for the SD package as well.
    Can you drop the SD sports and subscribe to HD only? I thought the new HD channels were only available if you subscribe to Sports already (or take it as part of the pack)?

I think it's just a pack you can avail of if you have HD in your area. I'm not sure if you can get it Sports only, or if you have to have movies and sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

On Demand doesn't have the same offering when it comes to movie selection as the movie channels do. It does have new releases etc but you are charged each time you watch one. Am happy with the movies pack and the offering there, just annoyed you can't watch a recorded film if it was recorded on SD!

Having choice is great, but why would you watch SD, if you had HD? To answer your question - if you get HD, you can only watch HD, we can no longer access the SD channels as we are not subscribed. It would appear to me that you would have to pay for the SD package as well.

I think it's just a pack you can avail of if you have HD in your area. I'm not sure if you can get it Sports only, or if you have to have movies and sports.

You can upgrade from sky sports SD to the HD version for 10 Euro. I have no interest in the movies as I am a sports fan but will stick with SD for now. I can't justify pushing my bill to nearly 100 Euro for that.

So:

The upgrade from SD Movies and SD Sport is 10 quid and the upgrade from SD Sports to HD Sports is 10 quid too? Good work UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Same happened to me on the bill.
    You still have All the SD channels as well as the NEW HD ones. Just do a network rescan (settings>>>network search) and your movies will be accessable again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

rockal wrote: »
    You still have All the SD channels as well as the NEW HD ones. Just do a network rescan (settings>>>network search) and your movies will be accessable again.

I was wondering that alright from what was said above, Sure if you subscribed to HD sports from SD you'd loose sports 3&4, And movies too, if they took away the SD version your without Sky Premier +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I was wondering that alright from what was said above, Sure if you subscribed to HD sports from SD you'd loose sports 3&4, And movies too, if they took away the SD version your without Sky Premier +1
    Yes, plus anyone with multiroom (say one HD box & two regular) would still have to be able to view the SD Skysports channels on the SD boxes.

Anyone in Dublin with any problems with the HD channels? Sky sports news is unwatchable , pixelating and breaking up all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

Anyone in Dublin with any problems with the HD channels? Sky sports news is unwatchable , pixelating and breaking up all the time

I'm in Tallaght and mine's grand.

Checked this out and unfortunately after doing a re-scan I can confirm that we actually don't have have sky sports 3 or 4 SD... will have to give them a call later and will have to check our other box while I'm at it too.

All because the sales person took/setup our order incorrectly, leading to this confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 garyingalway

Got a bit paniced there reading this - Just be be clear:When you upgrade to the HD channels you still keep the SD ones.

With this pack you’ll get Sky Sports 1 HD & Sky Sports 2 HD, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3 and Sky Sports 4 plus 11 Sky Movie HD channels and 12 standard Sky Movie channels4.

http://www.upc.ie/television/channels/skysportsandmovieshd/

• Advertisement

Got a bit paniced there reading this - Just be be clear:When you upgrade to the HD channels you still keep the SD ones.

With this pack you’ll get Sky Sports 1 HD & Sky Sports 2 HD, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3 and Sky Sports 4 plus 11 Sky Movie HD channels and 12 standard Sky Movie channels4.

http://www.upc.ie/television/channel...tsandmovieshd/

Yep this is definitely it, they just really screwed up taking my order and then again when they tried to fix it...

So I rang UPC about the issue we are having and was informed that there is a 'known issue' with sky sports 3 and 4 at the moment and that no one who subscribed to the hd is getting them and that they should be fixed by Monday... anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sky sports 3 and 4 are working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

<<14:00 BST
    icon_live.gificon_hd.gif

College Football

Notre Dame vs Navy - at Dublin, Ireland-September 1st

The Fighting Irish take on the Midshipmen in the Emerald Isle Classic from the Aviva Stadium.
    Duration : 180 mins>>

I shall watch ESPN America for the first time tomorrow, Channel 417.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

if you have 2 hd boxes is it €10 for each box or for the 2 boxes to get the sky hd package

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I'm thinking of getting the Sky Sports HD. Is it really worth getting? Is the picture that much better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the Sky Sports HD. Is it really worth getting? Is the picture that much better?

It is a pain going from HD back to SD but if you've not experienced it much, SD is grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Regarding discounts, my bill would be €110 a month but after a phone call along the lines as discused, I got

Loyalty 12 month basic Telephony discount - €5.36
    Loyalty 12 month free HD - €4.12
    Loyalty offer €5 off fibre power broadband for 12 months - €5.01

So in total I get €14.49 off a month, all for time it took to ring them and the call is free!

This is the second year I've done it and it is a pain to have to go through it every year when the discount are due to expire and you do have to commit to another 12 month contract but if you're happy with their service and have no intention of leaving, you've nothing to lose!

I am now out of contract with UPC. Spending between €130 and €150 a month. What's the best way to go about getting some discounts? Do you have to demand to be put through to the loyalty department or can the billing department offer the same discounts? Is out-right threatening to drop your UPC services altogether the best bet?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

Morf wrote: »
    I am now out of contract with UPC. Spending between €130 and €150 a month. What's the best way to go about getting some discounts? Do you have to demand to be put through to the loyalty department or can the billing department offer the same discounts? Is out-right threatening to drop your UPC services altogether the best bet?

Thanks.

Just ring Customer Service and tell them you want to cancel. They'll put you through to the loyalty dept. Then just say you can't afford it and they'll do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I see that British Eurosport 2 has gone HD to match the main channel ,but looks like it is only available to SKY users for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DominoDub wrote: »
    I see that British Eurosport 2 has gone HD to match the main channel ,but looks like it is only available to SKY users for now.

Hopefully won't be too much longer for UPC to catch up. Would love to catch the end of the British Superbike championship in HD.

pelluci wrote: »
    Just ring Customer Service and tell them you want to cancel. They'll put you through to the loyalty dept. Then just say you can't afford it and they'll do the rest.

Got 4 months half price on the triple play bundle. €31.50 off for three months.

Got 2 months free Sky Sports and 2 months half price.

Pretty happy with that although it's all front-loaded. I possibly could have pushed for free HD or free multi-room.

Just switched on the england game there on UTV

Sweet jesus watching football thats not in HD looks horrible after watching some ball on sky sports hd

every channel should be HD :D

I'm not considering Sky Sports HD until they have SS3 and SS4. Too much rugby on those two channels, especially Super XV. Heineken Cup is mostly on SS2 but the final was SS3.

Any rumours about these channels being added?

Morf wrote: »
    I'm not considering Sky Sports HD until they have SS3 and SS4. Too much rugby on those two channels, especially Super XV. Heineken Cup is mostly on SS2 but the final was SS3.

Any rumours about these channels being added?

They wont be, same as uk, virgin have had 1 and 2 for ages now, they wont give anyone all 4

• Advertisement

They wont be, same as uk, virgin have had 1 and 2 for ages now, they wont give anyone all 4

Fair enough. Digital through an HD connection on a 32" tv will have to do then. I have EPSN HD and Setanta HD (which is just upscaled) anyway.

RTE News Now - channel 200
    TG4 HD - channel 137

NOUT SPECIAL, But More Is Always Better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Interesting location for RTE News. With Bloomberg and Sky News HD thrown into the mid 200s, it would be a perfect time to reorg those 200s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

Good stuff!

TG4HD for the Rugbaí, agus the other one for the novelty of it. Haven't seen much News Now so will be interested to see if it's any good.

Keep 'em coming UPC!

[OFF-TOPIC] BTW - was on to Meteor the other day and the girl asked me about BB, TV provider etc - she reckons eircom will be launching some sort of triple play next yr.

Interesting location for RTE News. With Bloomberg and Sky News HD thrown into the mid 200s, it would be a perfect time to reorg those 200s.

Or the whole channel line up at that, its a mess, everything is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

jus seen this on upc facebook page taught i'd put it up
    New Channels Announced

What are the new channels?

We will be adding two new channels to the existing channel line up on 25th September. The new channels are:

TG4 HD - channel 137

macker22 wrote: »
    New Channels Announced

We will be adding two new channels to the existing channel line up on 25th September. The new channels are:

TG4 HD - channel 137

TG4 HD, excellent! More GAA HD goodness!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And just in time for Connacht v Leinster on Friday night. Presumably, this will be available to non-HD subscribers just like RTÉ Two HD.

RTÉ News Now is nearly five months overdue. I'm on record, I think, as to my criticisms of this channel, but given that its what RTÉ is giving us (and taking into account their limited budget) its good to see it being added to UPC. This leaves RTÉ Aertel Digital the only service exclusive to Saorview now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Or the whole channel line up at that, its a mess, everything is all over the place.

EPG was not to bad compared to Sky until recently - don't know who is making the decisions but the UPC EPG is quickly coming a mess - Bloomberg on 240 ? yet gaps on 223/224 while Sky 1 HD on 143 makes no sense especially with HD channels beginning on 135,then interrupted with Sky Arts SD on 141 then back to HD....

RTE News Now isn't really a News Channel a la Sky News / BBC News

While the launch of TG4HD puts an end to the excuse for not carrying dual language audio channels........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

icdg wrote: »
    And just in time for Connacht v Leinster on Friday night. Presumably, this will be available to non-HD subscribers just like RTÉ Two HD.

Do I detect from the above that it's possible to get RTE2 HD even if you don't have a HD subscription? Obviously you need a DVR with a HDMI connection.

Which leads me to another question - is there such a thing as a non-HD box with a HDMI connection? That is to say, a DVR which physically can't do HD but which has a HDMI connector?

coylemj wrote: »
    Do I detect from the above that it's possible to get RTE2 HD even if you don't have a HD subscription? Obviously you need a DVR with a HDMI connection.

I think what icdg was suggesting was that you don't have to pay extra on top of the HD subscription, like you do for say Sky Movies or Sky Sports in HD. But you'll still have to pay for the €5 a month HD subscription that gets you RTE2 HD, BBC HD etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

icdg wrote: »
    This leaves RTÉ Aertel Digital the only service exclusive to Saorview now.

Along with the radio station RTE Gold

New Channels Announced

TG4 HD - channel 137
    Message on FB isn't there now. Are the channels live yet? Nothing on my STB yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I think what icdg was suggesting was that you don't have to pay extra on top of the HD subscription, like you do for say Sky Movies or Sky Sports in HD. But you'll still have to pay for the €5 a month HD subscription that gets you RTE2 HD, BBC HD etc...

You don't have to pay €5 a month for RTE2 HD. Once you have a HD box you get the channel. Although to get the HD box you must take out a 12 month subscription to HD or else get Multiroom.

You don't have to pay €5 a month for RTE2 HD. Once you have a HD box you get the channel. Although to get the HD box you must take out a 12 month subscription to HD or else get Multiroom.

I have a HD box as a multiroom box, but with out the HD pack on it and it does not get RTE2 HD?

• Advertisement

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/463/ its still there dono wats happened wit them
    Thanks, macker. Someone above said they were launching today. From that it looks like early Oct. Someone got over excited somewhere.

taught it was launching today meself till i ask them on twitter and they said early october

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Thanks, macker. Someone above said they were launching today. From that it looks like early Oct.

Yesterday it said 25th September, Obviously changed it last night. EARLY October it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭michaelduignan

I have a HD box as a multiroom box, but with out the HD pack on it and it does not get RTE2 HD?

UPC rep told me before that RTE2 HD is free as long as you have HD box

I only have standard set top box so was only quoting him sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement