Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC New Channels [Merged] - Latest - TG4 HD and RTÉ News Now launched

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Certainly looks like a technical issues. Their site did say 25th. See the cache from Google attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

icdg wrote: »
    And just in time for Connacht v Leinster on Friday night. Presumably, this will be available to non-HD subscribers just like RTÉ Two HD.
    coylemj wrote: »
    Do I detect from the above that it's possible to get RTE2 HD even if you don't have a HD subscription? Obviously you need a DVR with a HDMI connection.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I think what icdg was suggesting was that you don't have to pay extra on top of the HD subscription, like you do for say Sky Movies or Sky Sports in HD. But you'll still have to pay for the €5 a month HD subscription that gets you RTE2 HD, BBC HD etc...

That is not how I would interpret it. It's pretty clear to me that he is saying that RTE2 HD is available to people who are not paying the extra for HD. If RTE2 HD was only available to people paying for HD then his comment would be downright wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Certainly looks like a technical issues. Their site did say 25th. See the cache from Google attached.
    Gun was jumped in UPC so... Do we have to rename the thread again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

Eamo71 wrote: »

They'll probably need to send out a network upgrade letter for this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

well TG4 said in their press release that it was to launch on September 30 with the Ladies All Ireland Football Final to be their first HD broadcast, presumably this is now still the case with the game pushed back a week due to the hurling replay, unless they now go with the Leinster Munster game the day before as their launch, either way October 6 at the earliest by the looks of things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes, unfortunately...
    coylemj wrote:
    That is not how I would interpret it. It's pretty clear to me that he is saying that RTE2 HD is available to people who are not paying the extra for HD.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I have it myself on one of my TVs, even though I don't pay for HD (I never saw the point until recently, and one of my TVs is still a CRT and another's a portable LCD). I'd imagine TG4 HD will similarly be available to non-HD subscribers who have HD Mediaboxes.
    Along with the radio station RTE Gold

I (along with I suspect most of the population, and perhaps even RTÉ) had forgotten that even existed. Am I missing much????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I (along with I suspect most of the population, and perhaps even RTÉ) had forgotten that even existed. Am I missing much????

No, if you listen to Larry Gogan's hour from 1 to 2 on 2FM you'll get your daily dose of golden oldies, no need to bother with RTE Gold. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

RTE News Now has now launched on Channel 200 and TG4 HD is now on Channel 137. At the moment there is just a test screen on TG4 HD with moving picture behind it. It was great to be able to watch Morning Ireland on RTE News Now this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blindsider

TG4HD now working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

But no HD logo. Just TG4

• Advertisement

macker22 wrote: »

That link has been updated. TG4 HD isn't launching till Friday 5th Oct. Although it's on the EPG now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

macker22 wrote: »

That link has been updated. TG4 HD isn't launching till Friday 5th Oct. Although it's on the EPG now

Wasn't getting News Now earlier but am now. Nice to have. TG4 is in in some form as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

TG4 is appearing as a 'you have not subscribed' - as TG4HD is not carried on saorview do UPC have to make it available to non-HD subscribers like RTE2HD ??

Not subscribed for me either. Either they are keeping it encrypted until it launches officially on Friday, or TG4 HD will only be available to HD subscribers. Given that its a licence fee funded channel like RTÉ Two HD I would have thought that non-HD subscribers with HD STBs would be allowed view it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭macker22

UPC Ireland Hi David, we have some more channels on the way but can't announce them just yet. Watch this space is all we can say for now... from upc facebook page hopefully its a few more entertainment channels in hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Infoanon wrote: »
    TG4 is appearing as a 'you have not subscribed' - as TG4HD is not carried on saorview do UPC have to make it available to non-HD subscribers like RTE2HD ??

To confirm it is not available to non-HD subscribers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

Hi liamcu,

You would need to be subscribed to the HD package to receive the TG4 HD channel.

If you are interested in upgrading please PM UPC: Reps with your account details, and we will follow up with you.

Regards,

Eamonn

Surely this is in contravention of the Broadcasting Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apogee wrote: »
    Surely this is in contravention of the Broadcasting Act?

How did you work that out. UPC is a paid for service.

They aren't stopping you from getting it on Saorview.

Nothing to do with Saorview. Following on from Broadcasting Act, Section 77 where RTE2HD is available without a HD sub:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0077.html

In particular:
    (7) The appropriate network provider shall not impose a charge or allow a charge to be imposed in relation to the making available to a person of any service referred to in subsection (3), (4), (5) or (6) if he or she imposes a charge or allows a charge to be imposed on that person in relation to the making available of any other service to that person by means of the appropriate network concerned.

• Advertisement

Kinda meaningless with out the bit it refers to.
    (4) An appropriate network provider shall ensure the re-transmission, by or through his or her appropriate network, of each free-to-air television service provided for the time being by RTÉ, TG4 and the free-to-air service provided under section 70 by the television service programme contractor which that body or contractor requests the appropriate network provider to so re-transmit.

I didn't realise TG4HD isn't on Saorview. (Open to correction). So its not a free-to-air channel....yet. As such it wouldn't fall under this. I think?

Theres some discussion of it over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056770377

I wouldn't read it as requiring a channel to be broadcast on Saorview before it falls under the remit of the Act, particularly in the case of RTÉ and TG4.

I guess it comes down to how a "free-to-air television service" is defined.

I contacted TG4 and this was their response:
    TG4 wrote:
    Táimid á fhiosrú seo. We’ve contacted UPC about this and they are to revert to us, soonest.

If the scenario is as you describe, we will seek to have it remedied so as to have parity with the other Irish-regulated HD channel you mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

(7) The appropriate network provider shall not impose a charge or allow a charge to be imposed in relation to the making available to a person of any service referred to in subsection (3), (4), (5) or (6) if he or she imposes a charge or allows a charge to be imposed on that person in relation to the making available of any other service to that person by means of the appropriate network concerned.

The above says nothing about a provider having to provide hardware capable of displaying said channel. UPC will broadcast the channel and those on a base level subscription will have the rights to decrypt it, Its just the hardware wont display it. Hardware that is capable of displaying it carries an additional premium as you rent the hardware from UPC.

The above says nothing about a provider having to provide hardware capable of displaying said channel. UPC will broadcast the channel and those on a base level subscription will have the rights to decrypt it, Its just the hardware wont display it. Hardware that is capable of displaying it carries an additional premium as you rent the hardware from UPC.

Viewing most HD channels on UPC requires two things (1) A HD subscription and (2) HD equipment. (If you want Sky Sports or Sky Movies HD it gets even more complicated).

All viewers with a HD subscription receive HD set top box. But the two are not strictly speaking the same. It is possible, in certain circumstances, to have a HD set top box without a UPC HD subscription. Some multi room viewers have it and if you get HD, but later cancel it, you will still have the HD equipment, but will no longer have access to the HD channels, except for RTÉ Two HD.

To sum up, the issue here is that viewers who are not paying for HD but have HD equipment can receive RTÉ Two HD, but not TG4 HD.

• Advertisement

I think the suggestion is it could be seen as the network has to re-transmit all the free to air channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

To sum up, the issue here is that viewers who are not paying for HD but have HD equipment can receive RTÉ Two HD, but not TG4 HD.

You do get TG4 HD as well as RTE 2 HD if you have a UPC HD box but no HD subscription. They're not allowed charge you for channels that are 'must see' to the Irish market, after all these channels are being funded in part through the TV license. I rang them about this last week and had it confirmed. It's also confirmed here on boards by their representative. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056773919

You do get TG4 HD as well as RTE 2 HD if you have a UPC HD box but no HD subscription. They're not allowed charge you for channels that are 'must see' to the Irish market, after all these channels are being funded in part through the TV license. I rang them about this last week and had it confirmed. It's also confirmed here on boards by their representative. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056773919

Alas but if that t'were the case. But I've just tried it again (UPC Mediabox HD with SD Digital Max subscription). Channel 135 (RTÉ Two HD) working fine. Channel 137 (TG4 HD) returning "You are not subscribed to this channel".

Hopefully what the UPC rep says in that thread will happen. But it hasn't for me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Alas but if that t'were the case. But I've just tried it again (UPC Mediabox HD with SD Digital Max subscription). Channel 135 (RTÉ Two HD) working fine. Channel 137 (TG4 HD) returning "You are not subscribed to this channel".

Hopefully what the UPC rep says in that thread will happen. But it hasn't for me yet.

You're entitled to it though, you should get on to them, I think UPC we're trying to pull a fast one to make their HD offer more appealing but realised charging people for the four Irish channels was a no go.

From the Talk to: UPC forum:
    Apologies for the delay in getting you an answer regarding your query.
    I can confirm that UPC have now finished phase 1 of launching TG4 HD.
    We are now working on making the channel available to all of our customers who have HD capable boxes, and intend to have this work completed by tomorrow afternoon.
    Apologies for advising you previously that a HD subscription would be required to receive the channel, this was incorrect.
    Thanks

"finished phase 1 of launching" ... indeed!

From my own email correspondance with TG4
    TG4 wrote:
    A XXXXXX, a chara

Deir UPC liom go bhfuil a gcóras athraithe acu ó inniu lena chinntiú go bhfuil an rochtain chéanna ar TG4 HD is atá ag RTÉ 2 HD ar a gcóras cábla. Beidh TG4 HD ar fáil d’éinne a bhfuil bosca HD UPC aige/aici

Deir siad liom freisin go mbeidh athrú eile chun feabhais acu i dtús na hAthbhliana ionas gurb TG4 HD a thiocfaidh ar 104 do na custaiméirí sin.

We are informed that from today any UPC customer with a HD capable box will have access to the TG4 HD channel, just as with RTÉ 2 HD
    In early 2013, a UPC EPG upgrade will mean when tuning to the SD channel, HD customers will automatically be switched to the HD feed.

Is de réir a chéile a thógtar na caisleáin.

Le meas
    XXXXXXX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Apogee wrote: »
    From the Talk to: UPC forum:

"finished phase 1 of launching" ... indeed!

From my own email correspondance with TG4

Working for me now on the basic digital sub

I can now get TG4 HD by direct dialing the channel number, though if I press CH+ when on RTÉ Two HD it goes straight to 141 still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Why is there always a song and dance and confusion within this company when it comes to offering these Irish services free to air regardless of the type of subscription you have.

The legislation is quite clear and known to subscription Tv companies who are quoting the legislation when formally requesting the service under the must offer rule.

If Sky OR UPC OR Anyone else who runs a subscription TV service requests under the must offer rule, they must carry it free of charge, no if buts, excuses.

I was blue in the face posting this in the multiple previous problems thread whereby UPC was withholding the RTE2HD service from subscribers who had HD boxes but not an active subscription and trying to get people to sign up to multiroom or a HD sub. You would think they wouldn't try it on again.

Some might say the motivation is to sell more HD subs. It shouldn't reach the stage that the BAI have to step in.

Consumers eh, who would be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Not subscribed for me either. Either they are keeping it encrypted until it launches officially on Friday, or TG4 HD will only be available to HD subscribers. Given that its a licence fee funded channel like RTÉ Two HD I would have thought that non-HD subscribers with HD STBs would be allowed view it too.

TG4 is not funded by the TV licence fee. Tg4 was separated from RTE in 2007. They are now funded directly by the exchequer.

Same argument though. They are a PSB and yes it must be carried FTA, regardless of the platform.

Regarding new HD Channels - Found this message in My UPC - dated 21st Oct

https://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20TV%20Features%20update%20October%202012.pdf (page 3)

Channel 4 HD & British Eurosport 2 HD are "Coming Soon"

sounds good wonder if there gettin E4 and Film4 hd aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

It would be great if the could complete the sweep of HD channels - the main ones outstanding now are the '4' family and some remaining satellite ones, such as FX (in particular!), Comedy, Dave etc.

Then their €5 a month offering for HD would be superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

That's excellent news, I love Eurosport :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Regarding new HD Channels - Found this message in My UPC - dated 21st Oct

https://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20TV%20Features%20update%20October%202012.pdf (page 3)

Channel 4 HD & British Eurosport 2 HD are "Coming Soon"

Same message in my inbox. Happy days, was annoyed with no Eurosport 2 HD on UPC. Hopefully soon will be this year:D

has anyone got any idea wen theses channels will be available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bumping this to see if anyone knows when Eurosport 2HD is coming? The mail from UPC was in Oct and they said soon, UPC must have a different dictionary for their definition of soon.

Anyone know if we'll get it before Feb? I want to see bike racing in HD and most of it's shown live on Eurosport 2 with highlights on 1

anyone hear anythin else on channel4 and eurosport2 hd

Advertisement