Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get my wages and emerge tax.

Options
  • 15-08-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

basically I was employed for a period of 4 weeks, at the end of the fourth week, I had only received a total of 1 weeks pay. I informed my employer that I could no longer work for free, after a week or two I received money that was owed to me in dribs and drabs. Except for my final week. I received a payslip electronically for my last weeks pay, and it included a refund of emergency tax was owed to me from a previous employer. I assumed the revenue had repayed this to me through my new employer. The thing is, I received no cash for my final week and no tax back.

After several emails, the guy who owns the company replied and said that the company was being wound up and that I would be paid "when funds became available". I went to the Labour Relations Commission and they found in my favour, of course the owner of the company did not respond to the LRC's judgement. I got all the paper work done and paid the legal costs. The court granted me an execution order, which I took to the city sheriff. The next week, the Sheriff sent me a letter saying that the place was closed. No further explanation.

My former employer has a new business with a similar name at a different address. I just don't know what to do. Since he took my tax refund, does that count as theft? should I go to the Gardaí? Is there anyway to get my legal costs refunded even if I don't get my wages back? Need help with this, don't know what my next move should be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was the execution order against the former company or against the individual employer?

If it's against the company, then I guess you are just a creditor ... sorry, don't know much about this.

If it's against him .. mmm, again, I don't know the law, but suspect you could have more grounds.

Either way, I'd be making sure that the Revenue know about his new-business-with-similar name (if they don't already) and about your issue (they probably can't do anything, but you never know).

And I'd be using personal / local networks to let people know about his business ethics. (Please DON'T name him on Boards.ie though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's against the company. I haven't told the revenue, never thought of that, I'll get on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

was he a limited company or a sole trader?
    if he was a sole trader then the sheriff can call to his home and execute the order. If he was a limited company then the sheriff can't do this and it will be harder for you. However perhaps phone the sheriff and advise him/her that you know the employer is now set up in a new company.
    Might be also worth contacting the LRC and let them know of the person's new business.

Advertisement