Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The longest you have stayed off the drink..?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So I was just wondering what's the longest you have been off the drink, I am now 3 months with out a drop due to sporting commitments and also trying to save a few yoyo's for going back to college.. Previously I went 6 months without a drink..I dont really miss the drink me and I surely dont miss the hangovers...So whats your reasons for giving it up...??;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Since I was 18, probably around 2 months. Certainly spent 7 weeks off it from april to may this year. Tough going to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

15 years.

Yup about 15 years. It was tough at times, I credit Lego with getting me through the first 10 years of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I didn't know people still said "yoyos"? Is it because I live in the country side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Drinking for me is a cultural thing, in that I mean Im pretty sure If I wasnt born in Ireland, I probably wouldnt even touch the stuff. I have no massive grá for it, its there so I drink it occasionally. I'd imagine I could live without it indefinitely.
    The longest stretch was probably a month / 6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

between 00:30 and 10:30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Since I began drinking professionally :pac: I'd say a month to 6 weeks is the longest I've been off the drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fr.Buzz wrote: »
    I am now 3 months with out a drop due to sporting commitments

Ah the infamous Championship beer ban. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I went off drink 1 Lent was doing well was even going to pubs drinking minerals and enjoying myself. One evening I was on my way to the pub to watch a soccer match and I was crossing a pedestrian crossing and got hit by a car. Luckly nothing was broken well except my wheelchair which was at an angle and the spokes destroyed. I was sore all over could not transfer from wheelchair to another seat by myself for about 2 months. Well anyway back on topic I went to the hospital by ambulance and when I was discharged and home I had a few for the pain. Lasted 3 weeks. Longest was 2 months not because I did not have money just 2 far to go to the pub and the weather was crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Made a ****e of myself on my 18th birthday, didn't drink again until my 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Since the age of 12, the longest I went without drinking is two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Went 4 months before. Simply because I completely lost the taste of it. Couldn't have more than 2 pints without getting full.

I'm now off it until at least October 29th (marathon). These days I simply don't enjoy drinking so this is no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

3 months I think, done it for sporting commitments myself but when I went back on it I hit it hard and wasted 3 months good work in about a week

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

cson wrote: »
    Ah the infamous Championship beer ban. :rolleyes:

7 weeks off it for the olde GAA last summer. Got bate by ten points and spent the next 5 days on a bender.

GAA Managers has an obsession with drink bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I rarely ever drink. Got it all out of my system by the time I was 21.

The odd beer is delicious, but it's a depressant & too much turns you into a raging fat bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I fuking hate the term "yoyos" when people are referring to money.

On topic, I'm in the middle of trying for 4 weeks. That will be the longest since I was around 15.

I'm 34 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

6 weeks I went this year. First time I ever made a huge commitment to it.

I was never so bored, angry and generally useless in that time.

Which is a disturbing feeling. It should be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Used to drink loads like everyone else when i was younger, loved the stuff but i have had maybe 12 pints in the last 20 years or so and most of that was on the one night about 10 years ago, nothing against drink but it just lost it's appeal to me, it's like smoking, once you'd stopped why start again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm 26 and since I started college at 17 I once went off it for a month. Other than that I don't know if I'd have gone a whole week ever.

I just gave it up to see if I would find it difficult or notice an improvement in anything. I didn't feel any better and don't even spend that much on drink so there was very little upside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

If I had exams I'd go off it for almost a month. When you go over a 2 weeks off it, I find that it's not that difficult to keep going as time goes on you lose interest. When you go back on it then you can't stay off it :D

I'll have to drink far less this year as am doing a masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

15 months, part of the joys of pregnancy and breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Drink bans for a club GAA team. Pfft. Never paid any heed, very often I'd get drunk two nights before championship and feel zero ill effects it's not a professional game at inter county never mind club so don't know why players give up so much for it

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I didn't know people still said "yoyos"? Is it because I live in the country side?
    Thought it was called 'beer-tokens'

Spent about 8 years without drink, apart from the very rare occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

2 years, that was because of illness

The longest I can remember in the last few years is 3 weeks once, at the start of this year to detox a bit after a mad Christmas and new years. Might have managed a bit longer when studying for my final University exams but cant remember for sure if there was a night or two thrown in there.

I go on the beer about twice a week on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Since I started drinking, about two months after one particular over the top lads fortnight gargling holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Fr.Buzz wrote: »
    the longest you have been off the drink
    That must've been when I was having that nightmare about being off the booze...

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Gave up for just over a year when I was about 23. Had got my first full time job a couple of years earlier and it was one of those places where you went straight from work to beers on a Thursday or Friday. Ended up getting wasted far too often so decided to go cold turkey. Nights out were great fun up to a certain point when people got incoherent and messy. Usually a sign to go home at that point! 35 now and have been a much more moderate drinker since (i.e. lightweight).;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement