Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The longest you have stayed off the drink..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Since I was around 18 and started college probably 10 days to two weeks being the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Im 19 and ive still never had a drink, pride myself on it if im totally honest

It's a little bit sad that you pride yourself on it. It doesn't take much to not drink if you never have. :)

Longest I've gone was 2 weeks, didn't save any money and felt fcukin sh1t most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

It's a little bit sad that you pride yourself on it. It doesn't take much to not drink if you never have. :)

Longest I've gone was 2 weeks, didn't save any money and felt fcukin sh1t most of the time.

I'm sorry. Have you ever been a teenager with friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Gave it up for near 7 months this year cause I was tablets for that time. Actually easy enough, altough coming up to 5 months I did miss the taste of a really nice beer. The first pint was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

how did anyone go without any drink for any lenght of time. I thought that you would die if you didn't drink for a cuple of days. :confused:

longest i have gone without a drink is a 12 hours (which i was asleep for)

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. Have you ever been a teenager with friends?

I was and didn't drink til I was 17, and then it was with people I barely knew and had no pressure whatsoever. It's not a mark of pride, it's just something you don't wanna do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About a month, maybe six weeks, earlier this year. Easy enough after the first two weeks. The first weekend is the hardest, you're gummin for a nice pint on the Friday and Saturday night. The next weekend you'd love one too, but not so bad. After that you kind of forget about it.

Until the next drink, then you're back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

I used to drink socially when I was in my early 20s but never really liked the taste of it ... apart from maybe an occassional bottle of beer or a glass of wine with Christmas dinner I dont drink. Last drink was a glass of wine on Xmas Day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Have gone 26 months without it. Best and worst 26 months of my life

• Advertisement

I was and didn't drink til I was 17, and then it was with people I barely knew and had no pressure whatsoever. It's not a mark of pride, it's just something you don't wanna do.

You're very lucky to not have had constant, insanely high peer pressure to do it.

You're very lucky to not have had constant, insanely high peer pressure to do it.

Um, I did. But when I chose to drink I didn't have any pressure on me (part of the reason I chose that time)

Um, I did. But when I chose to drink I didn't have any pressure on me (part of the reason I chose that time)

17 is not a legal drinking age. So officially you gave into peer pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

About three weeks. But then, I am a functioning alcoholic so that's pretty good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That officially makes no sense

I was in Paris :) There was no pressure from my peers. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I inadvertently can go 4 or 5 weeks off the drink at a time without even realising it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

6 weeks and counting.................

Damn chemo!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That officially makes no sense

It makes perfect sense. You just don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

About a month back in June .....

To save up for a ten day bender in Tenerife last July :pac:

• Advertisement

It makes perfect sense. You just don't understand.

No, it doesn't make logical sense. Drinking underage != Drinking because o peer pressure.

No, it doesn't make logical sense. Drinking underage != Drinking because o peer pressure.

Peer pressure to drink underage. You thought you could escape by fleeing the country. You thought you could just walk away and leave the past behind you...

...but no. No. There is no escape. Sooner or later the history you leave behind returns to find you and exact it's righteous vengeance upon you.

In your soul you felt defeat as the first drop passed your lips... you knew they had won, yet still you fight that sinking feeling in your heart and justify your actions on that fateful day.

Peer pressure to drink underage. You thought you could escape by fleeing the country. You thought you could just walk away and leave the past behind you...

...but no. No. There is no escape. Sooner or later the history you leave behind returns to find you and exact it's righteous vengeance upon you.

In your soul you felt defeat as the first drop passed your lips... you knew they had won, yet still you fight that sinking feeling in your heart and justify your actions on that fateful day.

Huh? I love drink. More than most, I actually enjoy the taste of beers and vodka's (no so much wine's or whiskey's). I feel no defeat, I made a conscious choice to drink my first time, and I'm very happy I did and when I did.

No need to justify, I made a conscious choice borne out of thought on the subject and I drank. The peer pressure before I left never effected me, I'm too stubborn for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You keep digging that hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

23 years. I'm 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If you need to go off drinking then you really shouldnt be drinking at all, some people in this thread need to get down to AA.

billybudd wrote: »
    If you need to go off drinking then you really shouldnt be drinking at all, some people in this thread need to get down to AA.

Judge not etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Been about 8 months or so at a time at an estimate, I don't really like the taste or drinking culture so times when I want to drink are usually months apart and at celebrations. I don't notice or care without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fr.Buzz

Been about 8 months or so at a time at an estimate, I don't really like the taste or drinking culture so times when I want to drink are usually months apart and at celebrations. I don't notice or care without it.

One thing that really annoys me about drink culture in Ireland is that any achievement, bereavement or occasion is usually centered around the pub and drink...:rolleyes:..Jaysus it annoys me, and we wonder why the youth of today are binge drinkers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've not had a drink since 19:35, but who's counting?

Advertisement