Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The longest you have stayed off the drink..?

Options
13»

Comments

Fr.Buzz wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys me about drink culture in Ireland is that any achievement, bereavement or occasion is usually centered around the pub and drink...:rolleyes:..Jaysus it annoys me, and we wonder why the youth of today are binge drinkers..

Whats wrong with it though how else are people going to celebrate something. You wont find many countries where people don't drink as part of celebrating things, drinking is part of celebrating for most people around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

17 years was the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Around nine years but started up again recently (that sounds awful doesn't it?) part stress (actually mostly stress), part boredom and part just to see if it could be as anaesthetising and fun as it was when I was 20. Not.

I can't do it now, just can't. Massive headache after just one beer and don't like the taste either, even of my once-beloved Tia Maria.
    When the coke goes in, all i can think is how nice just the coke on its own would be and I end up pouring it down the sink. And I then put the kettle on...but I'm fun, I swear!
    I go crazy on the lime cordial! After two I'm anyone's!

So really I guess I haven't drank in nine years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

cson wrote: »
    15 years.

Yup about 15 years. It was tough at times, I credit Lego with getting me through the first 10 years of it.
    I bet you sh*t a brick thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

About 6 to 8 months, I am off it now till November when I am going on Holiday, as I am in saving mode but its not an absolute target, I am not on the wagon, so there will be no falling off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Haven't had a drink in over 10 years now. don't miss it at all, sugar rushes and my normal lack of inhibition and low moral standards suit me just fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Nine years nine months now approx.

Be aware that if you don't drink and live in Ireland that you are automatically a third class citizen, worthy only of pity or pretend "respect".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

johnr1 wrote: »
    Nine years nine months now approx.

Be aware that if you don't drink and live in Ireland that you are automatically a third class citizen, worthy only of pity or pretend "respect".

I don't find that at all, once people get over the shock that I don't drink then we're fine. but then I don't mind people drinking while I'm there, I usually bail on them before they're drunk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I was never a huge drinker to begin with- at most, I'd drink a 6 pack of Budweiser once or twice a week. Last time I got well and truely bladdered was at my birthday- spent it up in The George getting pints practically thrown at me from all angles. I lost count at 12 and all I can remember is singing Bohemian Rhapsody with my arms around a drag queen's waist. Ahh, fun times. :D

Haven't been properly drunk since I started my diet. I don't really miss the drink now. Nine times out of ten, I usually go for tonic water and lemon squash but if I fancy a drink, I'll have one or two.
    I had one can of Bud tonight, the first in little over two weeks. I intend to try that new Guinness Larger this weekend so I'll probably have a couple of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

9 months when I was prego.

• Advertisement
Advertisement