Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with fungal foot infection?

• 15-08-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience in a dog having a foot fungus? My Cocker Spaniel has really smelly feet at the moment, even after washing they smell like old cheese. Last night, there was a whiff of ammonia or something like that from them and she seems to be biting/licking at her feet a lot. My husband took her to the vet, but he said it’s just the time of year and try washing her feet twice a week with an anti fungal shampoo. He didn’t really look at her feet to be honest.

I was thinking of getting the hair on her feet trimmed and using the anti fungal shampoo. Has anyone any other advice on what I could do for her? Can anyone recommend an anti fungal shampoo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It would be very helpful to get rid of the excess hair and use a anti fungal shampoo.

You should try applying coconut oil - just massage a little into her feet daily or a couple of times a day - it has fantastic anti fungal and antibiotic properties.

You can also give about a teaspoon per 10 kg to eat as it is excellent for their health and will work from the inside out.

You need the "Raw Virgin Coconut Oil" from any health shop - its about 6 quid a jar and will last a good while. I give it to my dogs daily and also use it topically if need be - its excellent stuff.

PS - Here is a link to all the benefits of Coconut Oil, it sums them up well.....:)
    http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

As well as coconut oil,wite vinegar works quite well on fungal infections, apply it to the area once a day and it will help relieve itch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the replies, I will trim the hair this evening. Unfortunately my vet is out of the fungal shampoo, so might try the coconut oil or the vinegar until I can get the shampoo. Is that just bog standard vinegar? Where should I be concentrating on, is it the pads of the paw, the claws, or the area between the toes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did your vet give you anything to treat the dog with? If not i would be going back to get something off them. Surely they can give you something to help the dog??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi Andrea, the vet wasn’t able to take a proper look at her today as he was in the middle of surgery, he said to come back in a couple of days when he has the anti fungal shampoo back in stock, I’m sure he’ll take a better look at her then. My hubby just called in on spec today as he had a day off work so he caught the vet at a busy time. I might try the coconut oil in the meantime and see if that helps until I can get her looked at properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I will trim the hair this evening. Unfortunately my vet is out of the fungal shampoo, so might try the coconut oil or the vinegar until I can get the shampoo. Is that just bog standard vinegar? Where should I be concentrating on, is it the pads of the paw, the claws, or the area between the toes?

For the coconut oil just all over her foot, in between toes etc a few times a day. A lot of the time a vet will just give antibiotics - in case of infection which arent particularly successful so if you can try to clear it naturally its much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yup normal vinegar like you'd put on your chips, white vinegar though not brown. Put it all around the pads and between toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ti-tree oil and lavender oil are excellent for treating fungal problems BUT you'd have to get the dosage correct you only need a drop or two diluted in a carrier oil sunflower oil would do, you could check out gorgeous guineas website ..I know it's a dog but some of their products are for dogs so worth sending them an e-mail.

It could be mites either something like Thornit powder can help it can be bought online.

You could see if the vet has any Hibiscrub wash and ask if it would be ok to use it, it can work on fungal and bacterial problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Just wondering if anyone has experience in a dog having a foot fungus? My Cocker Spaniel has really smelly feet at the moment, even after washing they smell like old cheese. Last night, there was a whiff of ammonia or something like that from them and she seems to be biting/licking at her feet a lot. My husband took her to the vet, but he said it’s just the time of year and try washing her feet twice a week with an anti fungal shampoo. He didn’t really look at her feet to be honest.

I was thinking of getting the hair on her feet trimmed and using the anti fungal shampoo. Has anyone any other advice on what I could do for her? Can anyone recommend an anti fungal shampoo?

Fungal infections are a secondary issue. They grow in moist conditions, usually after your dog has been licking his feet. Itchy sore feet is indicative of a food allergy.

Check for a foreign body first. You may need to trim the hair first. The solution is a two parter.

First no dogs on the planet should be eating gluten, casein, cooked protein or chemical food additives. They are genetically predisposed to react to these antigens, more so than other dogs. These needs to be removed from the dogs diet.

Next the feet. The excessive licking moistens the area which encourages the red fungus Malassezia pachydermatis to grow. This is a yeast that is commonly found in the ears, vagina, anal sacs and rectum of healthy dogs. Use the following home remedy, which is the best anti itch, anti fungal cure for your dogs itchy paws.

Put two egg cups of boiling water in a cup, and added 1/2 teaspoon boric acid (available in any good supermarket). The boric acid dissolves (might need a zap in the microwave). Add two egg cups 2 of vinegar (just saw a handy tip on a website that says apple cider vinegar has a better smell than white vinegar). This makes 4 oz. of a 2% acetic acid plus 2% boric acid solution. This cure is more effective than any of the over priced creams and ointments available for dogs.

Or use any fungal cream that you would put on your own fungal infections!! Over the counter stuff fine. It's usually well safe for dogs (if it's OK for our skin it's OK for theirs, but not in reverse, such as with their highly poisonous flea drops).

Tuck it in there between the toes and top with a little no lick stuff like aloe or citrus oil to stop the dog licking it (or just keep an eye on him for an hour, or give him a bone to chew as a distraction).

Advertisement